Best of both worlds??

danyelle

Hi

I'm hoping to find a beach in coz that offers a nice sandy beach area to play in as well as a great area for snorkeling..

Last trip we rented transpo and spent 1/2 day at a snorkeling spot and 1/2 day at a sandy beach...I'd rather not do all the moving around this time.

Any suggestions? Oh, we're not opposed to getting off the beaten path.

Thanks

I'm afraid that the 2 are not found together. The reason being is that corals and sponges need a solid surface on which to anchor. It is the coral that attracts the majority of the fish. Sandy beaches that extend out into the water do not supply the hard surface for the corals.

If you would be satisfied with just a sandy area held back from the ocean by a low wall, then you can find good snorkeling at the same place. Start with this Web Page for some excellent Cozumel beach information, written by a local.

Hmm thanks...great site!

Which do u think is the best beach for both purposes?

Well, it really isn't a "beach" in my mind, but the large sand area at the Fiesta Americana is quite nice. The snorkeling there is good. There is an on-site dive operator, Divehouse, that might be a source for rental gear. There is a bar on the beach and a restaurant next to it. When we were there in December it was uncrowded.

Of the "combo" beach clubs listed, I would pick Playa Azul Beach Club (middle of the page ) Very nice sandy beach and probably won't find many other cruisers there.

Archived