Worst table companion you have had

[quote name='Gunner22aa']Some of the worst people I have met, and just not on ships really had the least to brag about. Maybe it was just to pump their own self worth or something. On our Asia cruise we became gerat friends with a State Senator from Carolina. He had money, let there be no doubt but if it wern't for the extensive array of diamonds that his lovely wife wore on occasion you could have mistaken this guy for a poor dirt farmer. This guy was modest. Never bragged about his extensive land holdings, that became apparent when we were talking hunting one evening which he loved. We both took to them right away because of how down to earth and genuine they were.[/QUOTE]

Our wealthiest friends are all very down to earth and not at all pretentious.

[quote name='Kentskie']Once on a cruise we were lucky enough to be upgraded to the Royal Suite. We had dinner one night at the Captain's table. There was a know it all Jackal who went on and on about how he and his wife were superior to everyone and everything they had and did was better than ours. After the dinner we each got a picture of the table and a list of the guests and their cabin numbers. We immediately looked on the deckplan to find what kind of luxurious penthouse Mr. Superior was in. Ironically it was an inside cabin.[/quote]

......[FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=5][COLOR=purple]"Uncle Leo"........I wondered what he was doing after retirement from "The Seinfeld Show".........;):D[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

There were supposed to be 8 of us at the table but one couple spoke only Russian and asked to be moved, leaving 6 of us. We exchanged the usual first night pleasantries but as the evening wore on, on couple became frosty. They gave one word answers, didn't ask questions and seemed to become rather uncomfortable. We purposefully stay away from controversial topics but still felt we'd offended them somehow, by their reactions. We expected they would be no shows for the rest of the week. Yet night after night, there they were, looking sour and not talking.

[quote name='cstrycha']There were supposed to be 8 of us at the table but one couple spoke only Russian and asked to be moved, leaving 6 of us. We exchanged the usual first night pleasantries but as the evening wore on, on couple became frosty. They gave one word answers, didn't ask questions and seemed to become rather uncomfortable. We purposefully stay away from controversial topics but still felt we'd offended them somehow, by their reactions. We expected they would be no shows for the rest of the week. Yet night after night, there they were, looking sour and not talking.[/QUOTE]

Интересно, находят ли они, что российские люди разговора обедают с?
AKA I wonder where they found other Russian speaking people with whom to dine. And no I don't speak Russian but the internet does. :)

[quote name='cstrycha']There were supposed to be 8 of us at the table but one couple spoke only Russian and asked to be moved, leaving 6 of us. We exchanged the usual first night pleasantries but as the evening wore on, on couple became frosty. They gave one word answers, didn't ask questions and seemed to become rather uncomfortable. We purposefully stay away from controversial topics but still felt we'd offended them somehow, by their reactions. We expected they would be no shows for the rest of the week. Yet night after night, there they were, looking sour and not talking.[/quote]

...probably from Statin Island...........;):D

I'd say the worst were a couple with two kids who were ALWAYS late (15 min or more). It held up our meals and the meals of everyone else at the table. Then the wife and daughter rolled their eyes and/or winced when other people at the table ordered things they thought to be unappetizing. It made everything very uncomfortable.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

[quote name='abridalmaven']Hey if you're going to put down city folks, at least spell it right. Staten Island, you know where the Godfather was filmed. On Todt Hill I think. LOL.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app[/quote]

...I only spell it like they say it.....:D.......my wife is from Jerzeee city.....:D.......meet ya at turddee turd street.............:D

[quote name='CowPrincess']That comment that I made was insensitive and thoughtless, and I apologize.[/QUOTE]

You were exaggerating a bit and joking lol! I do not think you were being insensitive-insensitive would be wishing ill on him. You may have disliked him but I don't think you wished him ill. However he would have been very embarrassed I am sure.

for all of the miserable, angry, pompous humans we have had to break bread with, there are the ones who turn out to be delightful. I try hard to find something good in all, and, yes, it is often difficult.

One of the funniest couples we shared a table of 8 with (Mercury) were absolutely full of hysterical stories. She was a trained opera singer and he and IT person with AT&T who also produced her recordings. The were fun, capricious, and willing to play at keeping the table interesting. They told a story about how on a previous cruise, 2 of their tablemates began to "impersonate" them each night. The next night they, our tablemates, showed up and impersonated us, taking our seats and such. We all had a very hearty laugh and several Martinis after dinner. Make it fun. Life is short!

Of course there was the New Yorker "lady" of a very advanced age who looked over at my husband during breakfast, shook her fork in his face, and snarled "You're killing yourself." I had a brief vision of where that fork needed to go. Her little shrimpy hubby cowered down further in his chair probably wishing for The Angel of Death to descend upon him.

I just read all of these posts and found them hugely entertaining. I'm a cruise newbie - going on my third cruise in October. I will be alone and requested the late seating at a large table. After reading these stories, I can only imagine who I'll be sitting with, lol. In particular I loved the "lesbian/alcoholic" story. I can totally see that happening to me. I swear some people were raised by wolves (though that's kinda insulting to wolves).

This is why I love Cruise Critic. If I hadn't discovered it, and threads like this one, I would've had no idea you can request a new table. I would've resigned myself to the buffet to get away from know-it-alls and Hyacinth Buckets (love that).

Watson: If you find a particular group that you like, don't be shy about asking to join their table. Lots of the large tables go unfilled and it is not a big deal. We were at a table for 8 that only had 6 and did not particularly care for our partners. A group of Diamond Club members invited us to join their table for 8 that only had 4. It worked out great. :D

[quote name='cybergidget']

Of course there was the New Yorker "lady" of a very advanced age who looked over at my husband during breakfast, shook her fork in his face, and snarled "You're killing yourself." I had a brief vision of where that fork needed to go. Her little shrimpy hubby cowered down further in his chair probably wishing for The Angel of Death to descend upon him.[/QUOTE]

You should have told her that waving a fork and telling you what to eat could shorten her life quickly.

[quote name='watson61']I just read all of these posts and found them hugely entertaining. I'm a cruise newbie - going on my third cruise in October. I will be alone and requested the late seating at a large table. After reading these stories, I can only imagine who I'll be sitting with, lol. In particular I loved the "lesbian/alcoholic" story. I can totally see that happening to me. I swear some people were raised by wolves (though that's kinda insulting to wolves).

This is why I love Cruise Critic. If I hadn't discovered it, and threads like this one, I would've had no idea you can request a new table. I would've resigned myself to the buffet to get away from know-it-alls and Hyacinth Buckets (love that).[/QUOTE]

And from reading this thread while they may have been horrible dinner companions they make wonderful stories.

[quote name='Osnab']I travel alone and thoroughly enjoy getting to know my table mates. Well my worst experience was when I was seated at a table with a family of seven. When the father of the group found out I was by myself he asked me if I was a lesbian. I had ordered a bloody Mary so that coupled with the fact that I was traveling alone opened up a huge can of worms!

When the appetizers came I started to eat but everyone grabbed hands and started to pray out loud . I usually do this in my head so it was a little awkward.

But when he started escalating the prayer to a very loud level that included special attention to me the lesbian who was drinking alcohol I felt like that was a little too much!!

By the way I'm not a lesbian nor an alcoholic! (And since when did traveling alone make one a lesbian or having a mixed drink an alcoholic?!!)

I asked to change tables the next day!![/QUOTE]

That is hysterical. I never understand people like that. All in the name of Christ no less. I was at a business luncheon in a large crowded restaurant and the person who called the meeting/lunch said we'd have a moment of prayer and then loudly went on to spout horrible hate messages. I wanted to drop to the floor and crawl out the door.

[Quote]Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.[/quote]

[quote]Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy.[/quote]

Ben had the perfect cruise "blessing" even if he never said it.

Here is another story from our most recent cruise. Not the worst but a typical one many of us have shared.

We met a delightful couple from Florida 60ish and already retired, taking their first cruise on this little 4 day on the Connie. We were seated with them at breakfast. They had been all over the world we soon learned but had never cruised, and had decided to try out a 4 day to see if they liked it. Very nice couple, not braggers, all this came up simply in conversation. (we had taken a Med cruise the summer before so we had brought that up) However, I could also tell by the way the woman was dressed that her clothing came form high end places, she had some very nice jewelry,understated but the real thing and quality.

The following day we were seated with them at lunch along with another couple. This other couple were diamond RCIers who did not care for the our Connie 4 day cruise. To be truthful I was a bit disappointed too, but granted this cruise was January 3rd through 7th, so being toward the end of the winter Holiday and a 4 day cruise Thursday through Monday there were a lot of people not your typical Celebrity crusiers. Many younger 20 and 30 somethings looking for a good time, also much more children than usual and the solarium was not adult's only as is usually on Celebrity and RCI ships.

Well the first thing this " RCI diamond plus" wife tells this other couple when she learned this was their first cruise that they should not compare this cruise with it's "low class" crusiers to "better, more expensive" cruises. Then she proceeded to tell them how she usually cruised the Med, Baltic, Alaska, etc. etc. and that they were diamond plus on RCI.( which meant I guess she was an expert on cruising).

The FL wife glances at me and gives me a half smile, and I understood what she was getting at-lol! so I spoke up and told "Miz Diamond- plus" that we had eaten breakfast with this couple the day before.

I managed then to ask them a bit about their travels, saying I wanted to know more, especially about their month in Paris from the summer before.

"Miz Diamond -plus" did not like that one bit so then she began to try to run me down. I was very nice to her though, told her hubby and I had not done a Baltic yet, please tell me all about that. So she does and then she says "but you must do Bermuda, Alaska, and the Med too"
lol!

Hubby speaks up then and tells her we have-lol! then I added, yes, Europe is so expensive, that we have found doing a cruise saved us money to see what we wanted to see in Italy. I also added we had taken an one week land tour of France of Paris and Bordeaux in 2009 and that our 12 day Med. cruise with 2 days in Barcelona had actually been less money for us so more easily for us to afford. Lol!

Archived