Not Good for the Conquest

I am sure that they will treat their arrival in Mobile just as if they were arriving in New Orleans and it will still be considered a closed loop cruise. That and their final destination is still New Orleans.

Well any ship that doesnt depart and arrive at the same port is not closed loop. As per the CBP. So I was just wondering what they do in that case.

I also am referring to those departing from Mobile and returning to NOLA. They arent on a closed loop cruise either.

We are aboard the Conquest right now. We are in Mobile now heading toward the pier. The crew has done a wonderful job of keeping us informed, and have been very professional in keeping everyone calm, etc. We should be at the pier at approx. 2:30 and will begin to disembark and be directed to buses ASAP. This is most definitely not Carnival's fault. I am very sorry for those who have missed flights due to this situation, and I can only imagine what an inconvenience this has been for them. My husband and I drove to NOLA, so we will return aboard a bus to pick up our vehicle. Gotta roll with the flow (pun intended)!! :):)

Heck, if you drove to NOLA, spend the extra night onboard tonight if you can :)

Well they are checking people in in Nola before they get on the motor coach to go to mobile so maybe that would be how they are working it out for the ones leaving

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yes, must be a way around it. As long as PAX remain under "carnival control" or something...I don't really know....I dont work for CBP :)

So glad to hear its going as smoothly as possbile for all of you!!! Hope you had a wonderful cruise!!

Surely the Elation will be delayed tomorrow as there are about 100 ships docked in the river now waiting to get out and there will be a huge traffic jam once it is opened.

Carnival posted an update about the Elation a little while ago on their website. Says for now embarkation is 3-6 and sail time is 7. But that may be revised if the river doesnt open but they are hoping it will sometime later today.

Yes, must be a way around it. As long as PAX remain under "carnival control" or something...I don't really know....I dont work for CBP :)

Me neither, just taking a wild guess. Between the two of us, maybe we have something close to being correct :D

I suppose Carnival will also have to have special arranagements for when they return to Nola for processing the pax who are without passports; as this is no longer considered a closed loop cruise.

Won't be a issue never is a issue when something like this happens

So glad to hear its going as smoothly as possbile for all of you!!! Hope you had a wonderful cruise!!

Homeland will turn there head and smile

Will be a none issue.. When the dream broke down earlier this year some paxs flew home some boarded a ncl ship and sailed back to the states they all said it was a non issue nothing was said its only a issue if you get left behind and try to fly home

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

CARNIVAL ELATION

JULY 8, 2013

July 7, 2013

Hi there!

We know you are looking forward to your cruise tomorrow which is why we want to take a moment to provide you with some important information. .

As you may have heard, the Mississippi River is currently closed to ship traffic so the US Coast Guard can continue their assessment of the area impacted by the wreckage of the sun...ken vessel. Authorities are planning to provide an update by 3:00pm today and we remain optimistic the river will re-open so that we can operate your cruise as scheduled tomorrow.

If the river opens by midnight, we will modify check-in and our departure times. Check-in for your cruise will be scheduled from 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM at the Erato Street Terminal, located at 1100 Port of New Orleans Place. We will sail at 7:00 PM. This delay will not impact our scheduled itinerary.

For your comfort and convenience and to ensure a smooth embarkation experience, we ask that you please not arrive earlier as we will be busy checking in Carnival Conquest guests (their sailing was delayed by a day due to the river closure).

In the event the river does not open by midnight, we will provide you with an update on our plans in the morning.

In the meantime, to stay in touch, we encourage you to sign up for text alerts by texting CCL2 to CRUISE (278473) to receive updates. If you have already done so during your online check-in, you will automatically receive updates.

We apologize for this delay and thank you for your cooperation and understanding. Most importantly, we can't wait to welcome you aboard for a fun and memorable cruise vacation.

See you soon!

We are aboard the Conquest right now. We are in Mobile now heading toward the pier. The crew has done a wonderful job of keeping us informed, and have been very professional in keeping everyone calm, etc. We should be at the pier at approx. 2:30 and will begin to disembark and be directed to buses ASAP. This is most definitely not Carnival's fault. I am very sorry for those who have missed flights due to this situation, and I can only imagine what an inconvenience this has been for them. My husband and I drove to NOLA, so we will return aboard a bus to pick up our vehicle. Gotta roll with the flow (pun intended)!! :):)

the crew gets the night off it looks like! good for them they will be well rested

for my cruise in 20 days

I suppose Carnival will also have to have special arranagements for when they return to Nola for processing the pax who are without passports; as this is no longer considered a closed loop cruise.

There is always special circumstances where the closed loop rule is amended. The closing of the might Mississippi River would be one of those. The department of homeland security are not going to deny re-entry to citizens of the United States because of events out of their control. Just look at the triumph incident. Customs officers just processed those without passports as normal.

On the bus heading back! Disembarkation took a little longer than usual but that just meant more time on the ship!

Glad to hear you are on your way back...well maybe not...I'm sure you dont want your vacation to be over!

Thanks for keeping us updated!

It's bittersweet! I could cruise year around and be happy but I miss dog whenever I'm away! Lol. I will say this the only thing that bothered me about diversion was some of the other passengers! Granted it was a small group but they were loud about their opinions! Many were mad a carnival over the situation!!! And some even wanted a refund because it rained all day one day and because of the diversion!!! I personally looked at it as free cruise time!!!! Lol

It's bittersweet! I could cruise year around and be happy but I miss dog whenever I'm away! Lol. I will say this the only thing that bothered me about diversion was some of the other passengers! Granted it was a small group but they were loud about their opinions! Many were mad a carnival over the situation!!! And some even wanted a refund because it rained all day one day and because of the diversion!!! I personally looked at it as free cruise time!!!! Lol

This is the kind of nonsense that makes me think some people can never be pleased. Or are obviously not the sharpest knives in the drawer. And of course, they are the ones who tend to be the most vocal :confused:

Stuff happens...road accidents, ships sinking, hurricanes, snow storms, power outages, whatever the case may be...some people just dont get it.

It rained??? Oh my!! Horror!! Full refund pronto! ;)

How can ANY of this be Carnivals doing??? Silly people. Geeeesh!

Great attitude you have and I'm glad you made the most of it! Like I said...I'd have been one of those staying on board the extra night if I could have lol!

Edit: I hear you about the dog issue :)

OH but don't y'all remember??? A ship of the Conquest's size is TOO BIG to USE the Mobile cruise terminal!! :rolleyes:

I didn't think that Conquest could turn in the basin upriver from the terminal, but from the photos, it looks like that's what they did. I'm sure they had to have tug assistance to do it. Fantasy class size ships can turn in that basin unassisted. The turning basin downriver is 50% larger than the upriver basin. That's the one that the big container ships use. The terminal itself can handle almost any size cruise ship. The only drawback being available parking in the terminal garage.

Archived