Alaska-covered vs uncovered balconies

mmo

Hello-just looking for opinions re: covered vs uncovered balconies on the Island Princess-do you recommend them for an Alaska cruise or does it not matter? If you feel it does, and if you have been on this ship, what deck then would you recommend--keeping in mind one of us tends towards motion sickness?!!:eek: Thank you in advance for any info or opinions. Can you tell this will be our first Alaska cruise and that we are clueless about so much??!!!! You'll probably see lots of questions from us for awhile! Hopefully they won't be too goofy!

Hello-we had the totally uncovered balcony(Dolphin Deck) on the Sapphire 7/04-i was concerned@ lack of privacy but it was fine. Surprisingly, not alot

of people on their balconys, we spent hours every day enjoying the incredible scenery. If you get seasick-book a cabin in the middle of the ship & low to the water. I took bronine & ginger pills-that combo worked well. Enjoy Alaska, its beautiful. Liz

It rains ALOT in Alaska so I think covered is the way to go. On the Island Princess I'd suggest a Cat. BE AFT on the Emerald deck. It is the most covered and also protected on the sides which helps with the wind.

Scott

Hello-just looking for opinions re: covered vs uncovered balconies on the Island Princess-do you recommend them for an Alaska cruise or does it not matter? If you feel it does, and if you have been on this ship, what deck then would you recommend--keeping in mind one of us tends towards motion sickness?!!:eek: Thank you in advance for any info or opinions. Can you tell this will be our first Alaska cruise and that we are clueless about so much??!!!! You'll probably see lots of questions from us for awhile! Hopefully they won't be too goofy!

Was on sister ship Coral Princess in Alaska earlier this month. We had a minisuite on Caribe deck with completely covered balcony. It never rained but we were prepared! Last fall was on Coral Princess for Panama Canal and had a minisuite on Baja deck with partially covered balcony. I believe that the balcony staterooms on those decks are similarly covered as the minisuites.

Hi Tarheelbelle!

Another tarheel here! I see you're from Hillsborough. We live in Roanoke Rapids, NC. I also see you recently were on the Coral in Alaska. I have a large group very interested in the Southbound on the Coral for next June (2006). Would you mind if I emailed you concerning your Alaska cruise? Would love to get some more info. My email is tootiesmom@charter.net

If you would prefer, we'll type on this board.

Thanks,

tootiesmom (Jeane) :)

I read on another thread that the port side was best for using your balcony. It was also mentioned to turn on the TV and listen to the Park Rangers comments. I will add-Order some hot chocolate delivered to your room and enjoy.

Sea sickness, I am there with you. I have lived on Non drousy dramine on every cruise since, after spending an excursion in Seward at the back of the boat.

Open water in the Gulf can be rough. I even did laundry during a level 7 storm in the gulf 3 days after the excursion mentioned above.

Inside waterways are smooth.

Cabin-I agree to try to stay center and low.

PS Please excuse my spelling.

My next trip in 2 weeks I am going to try the patch from my doc. We also have the wrist bands with the buttoms. Not a fashion item but lots of people swear by them. DH hates taking pills and has only once been a little urpy.

Archived