Driving - San Francisco to LA

bronbeth

For extensive information on the drive between San Francisco and Los Angeles, check Cruise Critic's sister site, TripAdvisor. Here's a link to the California forums, which work pretty much like the CC boards:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28926-i29-California.html

There are MANY threads about this drive as well as a "FAQ" section on the top right side that includes much relevant information. You can also do a search for specific information just as you can on CC.

There's another section that specifically covers "Road Trips" that might offer some other tips:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Trips.html

• 4 weeks later...

Whenever I drive 5 (or as Southern Californians say The 5). I always imagine Rod Serling standing at the beginning saying: "Picture if you will a lonely highway." The only good thing on 5 is Harris Ranch which has good food. Other than that the only advantage is speed. Since your on vacation take 101 and enjoy the ride.

Traveled up and down the 5 last weekend. Most of the reststops were open. Some were still closed, thankfully we didn't need to stop. It was more interesting traveling at night than during the day. Saw 2 owls.

CalTrans is working on the northbound lanes (tearing the road down to the dirt), just south of Pyramid Lake.

Archived