Insignia report

brian_uk

Its now 24 hours since leaving the Insignia and the overall experience was excellent. Please read the contents with the knowledge that our onboard satisfaction was at least 90% favourable and there is nothing that would stop us booking with Oceania again with a different itinerary. What I am trying to convey is that there are little niggles that need to be addressed by Management and they would probably reach 95%.

We had a PH cabin 8026 which was midship and the ship was of a size that it was never too far to reach anywhere within a couple of minutes. either by the stairs or elevators.

The cabin was spacious and having the full tub makes a huge difference on a 14 night cruise to my wife and in addition there was a shower in the tub. The bed was excellent and we noticed virtually no movement from either the engines or the seas and we slept well. It was well maintained throughout.

The Butler Manuel was OK but we demanded/requested so little from him. We never needed the canapés at 4pm but he was useful in arranging extra visits to Toscana and The Polo Grill.

Dining……For the first week we shared tables with many wonderful people in all the Restaurants although by the second we made the decision to dine alone. There were very few Brits on the ship, mainly Americans and Aussies and Kiwis (New Zealand).

We only ate in the Grand Dining Room on 4 occasions and it was fine provided you enjoyed what was on the menu and managed to get bookings in Toscana and The Polo for 9 dinners and once in The Tappas.

The Tappas is not really genuine but just many salads in many ways similar to lunchtime. However it suited us admirably that particular night.

The Polo is a Steak Restaurant with a fixed menu but with enough variations to make it interesting for my wife.

Toscana is a really good Italian Restaurant with the most wonderful bread selection I have ever seen. The pasta choices were excellent and I think we ate there 5 times.

Breakfast and lunch were Buffet style and we enjoyed them very much. The staff were fabulous and the waiters always on hand to get something for you that you had forgotten.

Entertainment……As explained elsewhere the Piano player was the worst ever encountered and we were never in time to see the Shows but then that never bothers us. We prefer to eat and have a nightcap and off to bed ready for the next day.

Itinerary…..tough going particularly on the consecutive trips to Rome and Florence which if you booked via Oceania always seemed to start very early. We heard many complaints about the arrangements and the fact that many of the guides spoke poor English and this certainly needs to be addressed.

We preferred to do our own thing and get up later and return to Insignia when it suited.

It is very easy to do things yourself in Dubrovnik, Corfu, Bonifaccio, Capri and in fact most of the stops. The ONE trip we took was a boat ride with a supposed conducted Tour of two places at a cost of $75 each. We got a 12 euro boat ride which was available at the Pier and a guide who pointed out the Church and Cathedral and told us to make our own way to see them. A wasted $150.

The Spa was not used by us though Jean had her hair done ONCE and it was so bad that she cancelled her 3 other appointments and got it done in Salons offshore at 25% of the figure and far better.

In conclusion we think that Insignia has a wonderful staff ready always to help and many do go that extra mile to make sure that you do have the experience you desire. Any questions ?

Brian,

I have a couple of questions. My wife and I are booked on the Regatta, which I understand is a twin to the Insignia, for a Venice to Barcelona cruise next May. We currently have cabin 8009 (PH2), which is forward and on the opposite side of your cabin's location. It's near the elevators. Any comments on how this cabin might be vis-a-vis noise and ship movement (we're not particularly bothered by movement, but excessive rocking might be a little uncomfortable). Also, we'll be celebrating our 25th anniversary on board and would like to reserve a table for 2 at one of the specialty restaurants. Any suggestions as to where the best place to celebrate would be?

P.S. - nice name.

Regards,

Brian G.

I would suggest the Toscana for that special night and save the Champagne thats in your room and ask them to serve it that night.

The location of the cabin is fine and there are only 2 elevators there and no problem.

We were lucky in that the sea was always so calm so minimum movement.

Enjoy

Brian,

I have a couple of questions. My wife and I are booked on the Regatta, which I understand is a twin to the Insignia, for a Venice to Barcelona cruise next May. We currently have cabin 8009 (PH2), which is forward and on the opposite side of your cabin's location. It's near the elevators. Any comments on how this cabin might be vis-a-vis noise and ship movement (we're not particularly bothered by movement, but excessive rocking might be a little uncomfortable). Also, we'll be celebrating our 25th anniversary on board and would like to reserve a table for 2 at one of the specialty restaurants. Any suggestions as to where the best place to celebrate would be?

P.S. - nice name.

Regards,

Brian G.

Also let Toscana know it's a special day for you..they make wonderful special desserts ...

Hello, Brian

Glad you enjoyed your cruise.

It doesn't sound as if you ate in your PH suite, but can you tell me whather the low, small coffee-style tables have changed and been replaced by tables of a suitable height for dining?

Also, were shuttle buses into the town centre laid on at any of your ports of call and how much did they charge for them?

Many thanks.

Sue

One of the major problems, which I discuused with Frank Del Rio who was on board for the first 5 days, was the fact that Insignia provided no transportation themselves anywhere unless you were on a tour.

We met travellers from Silverseas and Windjammer I think it was in Corfu and Dubrovnik and they had courtesy buses to and from the City. FDR said he would look into this.

Thank you so much for such an interesting and comprehensive report.

It is true that in general, Oceania does not provide shuttle service from the ship to the town centres of the ports. However, when we were there in April last year at Corfu, they did provide a shuttle between the ship and the port duty free building (surprisingly one of the newest and nicest among the Mediterranean ports, given Corfu's small population), from where taxis were easily available. May be we were just lucky that day.

For us, for the ports transportation, the important thing is how easily can we get a taxi as we land (hopefully right beside the ship or the tender landing). Once we get a "safe" taxi with an English speaking driver, we are fine!

In Corfu the courtesy bus is provided by the local Duty Free Shop at the end of the Terminal. Certainly in June Taxis were generally only interested in offering Tours of the Island andthe temperature was 90. We were eventually directed to another area where taxis were available.

Silverseas and Windjammer had their own bus at this point to the Town and back.

Its just a small thing but in such hot weather it would have been better to not have to spend time in that heat trying to sort out transportation.

I am very disappointed to hear that Oceania does not provide any transportation from the ship into the town centre, either complimentary or for a charge.

It seems rather surprising that Frank del Rio has not looked into the provision of such transport before.

Of cruise lines which we have sailed on Crystal and Seabourn both provide complimentary shuttle buses and the British cruiseline Fred Olsen (mass market)provided shuttle buses for which there was a charge.

Having to get taxis (if possible) will add a significant cost.

Sue

Thanks Brian, you're right it does answer many of my questions. The Insignia August cruise has the Rome, Florence days one after the other too but as I've been to Rome several times I've already decided that is the one place I will book an Oceania shore excursion and do the half day Etruscan Tombs tour and save myself for a full day of sightseeing in Florence!! Did you do Florence on your own or with a private or ship's tour? I'm assuming your $150 'waste of money' was Portofino? From info I have it looks very doable by oneself, off the ship, see the town then get the local bus to SML and catch the ferry back - correct? Like the info on the ship's haridresser as I had considered booking a few appointments myself, does Jean have any recommendations for the salons onshore that she used? Finally, electrical sockets on the ship, do they accept the usual three pin UK type plugs? Many Thanks - Anne

As far as hairdressers are concerned Jean took pot luck in both locations. In Amalfi I remember you walk into the centre and it was on the right just past a bar/coffee shop on the first floor. I think the cost was 18 euros. In Antibes where we happened to be, she just walked in and got it done....about 15 euros. On the ship with 18% tip it was about $65........so take a chance anywhere.....has to be better.

You will need an adaptor for a three pin uk plug and these are available at airports etc.

Enjoy

We tried Rome on our own and it was so damn hot and we had visited many times already that we turned and headed back for the Ship after about 2 hours..............note....platform 28 at Rome for slow trains to Civitavecchia is a long walk from the Station.............about 1km. The train ride is 50 minutes on the fast train and 75 on the slow. The cost I think was 9 euros per person r/t on the slow train and this includes use of all buses in Rome. A bargain

Brian - Thanks very much I'll add the adaptor to my 'shopping in Heathrow' list, good job I have a couple of hours between flights!! Think I'll forget the Oceania hairdresser, I can manage a bad hair day for free - don't need to pay $65 to get one!!! Will look out for salons when I'm on walkabouts in ports. If I think of anything else I'll be in touch - Anne

Brian - Thanks very much I will add an adaptor to my 'shopiing in Heathrow' list - good job I have a couple of hours between flights!! Think I will give the Insignia hairdresser a miss, I can manage a 'bad hair' day for free, don't need to pay $65 for someone to give me one!! Will lookout for salons when I'm on walkabouts in ports where I'm not doing something all day. If I think of anything else I'll be in touch. Anne

Brian - Thanks very much I will add an adaptor to my 'shopiing in Heathrow' list - good job I have a couple of hours between flights!! Think I will give the Insignia hairdresser a miss, I can manage a 'bad hair' day for free, don't need to pay $65 for someone to give me one!! Will lookout for salons when I'm on walkabouts in ports where I'm not doing something all day. If I think of anything else I'll be in touch. Anne

Please ignore this duplicated message - I'm having real problems with either this site or my computer today, replies either won't post or they post themselves twice!!

You mentioned your abortive trip into Rome but I've already decided not to go into the city there, been before and I know it will be hot and crowded. I haven't been to Florence though and I intend to spend the whole day sightseeing there, did you do that on your own too or go with an organised tour?

Anne

Radisson Seven Seas also provides a shuttle bus to the town center in most ports. I am surprised Oceania does not. By the time you add up all the extras that a lux line provides; you do not save any money by taking a less expensive cruise line. Tips is a very big deal! Also, wine with dinner at no extra charge and comp. bar set-up and waters and sodas. This will be our first Oceania cruise. We liked the itinerary Oceania offered.

Judy, didn't you go on an Orient line cruise several years ago? Anyway, I disagree about Radisson; the price differential for it and Crystal is so great that no amount of shuttles could make up for it and you'd have to drink yourself into a coma to make that a price point. Oceania is based on the Renaissance template with some judicious upgrades (linens and the like); Renaissance was a great bargain line, most of its passengers arranged their own tours and it was no big deal. It's annoying that Oceania doesn't make more of an effort to aid independent travelers, but it's a small price to pay to avoid the mega ships on the one hand and the Fancy Lad Dressy cruise ships on the other.

I think he was there with his wife and left at Sorrento to join friends on a small boat already docked there.

He was quite surprised that I had a complaint but promised to look into it.

He also said he is an avid reader of these boards.

I doubt for one moment that he took any trip at all........

Brian

Radisson Seven Seas also provides a shuttle bus to the town center in most ports. I am surprised Oceania does not. By the time you add up all the extras that a lux line provides; you do not save any money by taking a less expensive cruise line. Tips is a very big deal! Also, wine with dinner at no extra charge and comp. bar set-up and waters and sodas. This will be our first Oceania cruise. We liked the itinerary Oceania offered.

Unfortunately Radisson only (usually) offers 7 day cruises not 2 weeks like Oceania, so if you add up the extra days of cruising.............

;-)

I think he was there with his wife and left at Sorrento to join friends on a small boat already docked there.

I doubt for one moment that he took any trip at all........

Brian

Oceania chairman Joe Watters was on the 12/17/04 Insignia cruise I was on. I noted that there was normally a private car waiting for him (and his family) at the ports of call for that cruise. I did not see him or other members of his family use any of the Oceania offered shore excursions. They did participate in most of the on-board activities, and ate in the restaurants several times just like the rest of us.

Maybe it would be nice if Frank del Rio and Joe Watters were to experience one of the shore excursions being offered to the masses. The call for the 300 thread-count Egyptian cotton linens came as a result of Joe Watters spending an uncomfortable night in the old bedding. If he were to find things a bit lacking, it might just be the ticket for some improvements in the way shore excursions are handled.

"Oceania chairman Joe Watters was on the 12/17/04 Insignia cruise I was on."

I was on that cruise too, and heard him speak and saw him often around the ship. He 'hung around' quite often with the guest lecturer whose name I forgot.

Guest Jancruz

The call for the 300 thread-count Egyptian cotton linens came as a result of Joe Watters spending an uncomfortable night in the old bedding.

Im sorry, I dont know where you heard that story but it is not true..when the Regatta came out it had the Egyptian Linens and they were Frank Delrios idea from the beginning..

Jan:)

Archived