Cozumel taxis and carseats

kaymoody

We will be traveling to Cozumel with our almost 3 year old son. All we want to do is go to a beach. Everywhere I've read you have to take a taxi to get to them. I'm sure I'll hear the lectures but is it that far of a ride or do taxis have carseats in their cars? My son has some medical conditions that prevents him from walking so we will have our hands full already ex stroller, his medical bag, our beach bag and him. Any ideas?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The taxis do have seat belts in Cozumel. We have been there many times ;)

And how far is the beach? It depends on the one you go to.

One great option for Royal Caribbean/Celebrity cruisers (sorry I didn't look at signatures to see who everyone was cruising with) is the Passion Island by Catamaran excursion (Isla de Pasion).

THAT excursion allows for a pick up at the port and you are transported by "catamaran" but it is more like a ferry/tender boat to Passion Island.

No car seats to worry about because you are on a ferry boat ;)

Once there - all the food and drink is included. And there is a play ground for the kids. My girls LOVE that island. It has to be one of their favorites.

Carnival also goes there but the last time I checked they go there by jet boat and the age minimum for the excursion is pretty high due to it being an extreme ride.

We bought two bubble bum booster seats for our kids to ride in. DS will only be 3 but will be over the height weight requirements so I feel ok with him in the booster for just that ride to the dolphin encounter.

Don't assume that just because someone is Mexican, they have a clapped-out car which they drive like a maniac. I've only been in one Mexican taxi, it's true, but it was in Cozumel and it was a fine steady ride on a public road which was wide, well-maintained, not unduly crowded, and smooth. The car was new, and although I can't confirm whether it had seatbelts or not because I didn't look, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't. Why would anyone manufacture quality cars which don't? Why would a taxi driver not want seat belts?

• 2 weeks later...

The one taxi I took in Cozumel he didn't even have me in the back seat, I was sitting in front with my kid between my feet in the footwell. But it was an odd situation and the best of a bad lot of alternatives. He did, in fact, drive like a maniac, and the cab was awful. Nice guy though.

Archived