Physically challenged forget about Norfolk

Went on the Radisson Seven Seas Navigator to Bermuda on 5/25 with my elderly aunt who has had major back surgery and uses a walker. The itinerary includes a stop in Norfolk VA where we were shocked to discover that the only way to leave the ship was by a very steep set of stairs to the dock (similar to those used for airplanes). Consequently wheelchair passengers were not able to leave the ship, and of course my aunt was forced to stay on board also. No mention of this in the itinerary. I don't think any other cruise ships stop in Norfolk, but you would think a US port would be able to accommodate physically challenged passengers.:mad:

Norfolk is undergoing construction on its new Port Facility. It will be much more "accessable" in the near future. There are many cruise ships that come in and out of Norfolk (Holland, Princess, Carnival, etc...) The Radisson is the only ship I have seen with the set-up you described. I have moved equipment up the same set of stairs. All other ships that dock in Norfolk have a gangway set-up at dock level, easy access to and from the vessel. So, it could be the design of the Seven Seas Navigator. I will have to do some research.

Anyway, since I live in the beautiful Tidewater area, I have to say that Norfolk is a great place to visit and I am so sorry that your aunt wasn't able to experience it. smile.gif

Did the crew have an explanation for why accessible facilities were not offered? I agree that a ramp or some other means of getting a person off the ship should have been made available. I'm sure your aunt was not the only person who cannot climb stairs.

Archived