I wanna hear horror stories of getting left at port

Like others have mentioned, in Cozumel you should be ok going out on your own as long as you are not leaving the island. We usually do 50% through Carnival 50% independent excursions. It all depends on what we are doing and how far from the ship it is.

I did meet people on the ship that did a private cave tubing excursion in Belize. It ran late and got back to the port almost an hour after sail time. They were so lucky because a Carnival excursion was also running late and the ship was still there!

One little story about the benefit of going through Carnival. My sister broke her ankle on the Isla Pasion by Twister excursion in Cozumel (through Carnival). They immediately had a private boat take her to a private hospital. She was treated at the hospital (x-rays, cast, pain meds, crutches) and taken back to the ship where a Carnival rep was waiting with a wheelchair to take her down the pier to the ship. The ship waited about 25 minutes after scheduled sail time for her to return. As soon as she returned to the cabin, the infirmary called to check on her and schedule an appointment with the ship doctor. All of this was no charge to my sister!

Go to YouTube and search for pier runners. Hilarious!

Being allowed to board at sea or the ship pulling back to the dock is a decision made by the captain.

I can never understand finding other peoples grief Hilarious.

I can never understand finding other peoples grief Hilarious.

Other people's grief caused by their own stupidity is often humerus. However, one must always keep in mind that it can happen to them.

But none the less it is sometimes funny.

We have most always booked through others.

On our last cruise they reversed out ports and changed our times. I was a little worried about it but every port they were there waiting for us!! In fact in Grand Cayman we had several people from Carnival excursions join ours because when the got there the Carnival excursions had left them as there were three ships in port that day!

We have never had a problem but do get back early to clean up and enjoy sail away!

We have never taken a ship excursion, but we are also anal about being on time to things. We typically get back to the ship 90 to 120 minutes before we are scheduled to leave.

It is nice to get back, cool off / clean up, then go out and watch sail away.

Same here. Have never had a problem and we usually hire a driver and do our own tour.

Thanks to all for your input. After reading everyone's suggestions, the one that worries me most is this one:

One little story about the benefit of going through Carnival. My sister broke her ankle on the Isla Pasion by Twister excursion in Cozumel (through Carnival). They immediately had a private boat take her to a private hospital. She was treated at the hospital (x-rays, cast, pain meds, crutches) and taken back to the ship where a Carnival rep was waiting with a wheelchair to take her down the pier to the ship. The ship waited about 25 minutes after scheduled sail time for her to return. As soon as she returned to the cabin, the infirmary called to check on her and schedule an appointment with the ship doctor. All of this was no charge to my sister!

With my dad being in his 80's (he's not too steady on his feet), and with my DH who is a type 1 diabetic, having a medical emergency was another worry of mine. I think for this reason alone I think it's best we stick with Carnival. But I could totally see us going out on our own if we were just 2 healthy adults.

Thanks again - and I totally don't want to be climbing ladders onto the boat! That scared me!

True Story!!!!!! Lessons: Always go by ship time, keep somebody with you who is sober enough to get you back to the ship, and if you hire a cab driver, make sure he has some coffee!

Please be careful with cell phones when at sea they get their time from the satellite which could be different time zone then the ship is in or even ship time. Our CD even had to make an announcement about this.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

Archived