notarized letter for child

jhdoublin

thinking about booking a cruise this weekend july 14th on the allure, seperated from hubby that wont care if we are going really, but will probably make me beg to get a notarized paper since hes an ass.

Anyone travelled with child without paper? I cruise all the time and my son and I are both past guest on RCCL.

If you have to fly, leave extra time to get to the return flight on the small chance you're delayed at immigration. I've been asked for proof when coming back into the country after a cruise (not by RCCL, but by immigration officials) and my girls have passports.

I would probably still ask your ex and try to get it if at all possible. Customer service is famous for giving different answers each time you call - and the person at the port doesn't care what someone on the phone told you. I did just sail on RCCL alone with my girls and they didn't ask when boarding, but you never know.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

I would get the paperwork. I once cruised without my husband and I made sure I had it (even though no one ever asked for it). You just never know if you will get some one who goes strictly by the book.

I don't care what customer service says, I would NOT risk it. Imagine getting to the ship, both you and your child are so excited to embark on a fabulous week of fun only to be told you actually do need that letter. You'd have to scramble to get your ex to draft something and fax it before you could get on board. Imagine if he didn't send it? Not only would you and your son be heart broken, but you'd be out all that money you paid for the trip. On one of the Allure of the Seas tv shows, there was a family who almost didn't get to go on their cruise because they didn't have the letter. Fortunately the ex got it to them in time. I'd rather deal with a cranky ex than risk having my trip ruined.

I don't care what customer service says, I would NOT risk it. Imagine getting to the ship, both you and your child are so excited to embark on a fabulous week of fun only to be told you actually do need that letter. You'd have to scramble to get your ex to draft something and fax it before you could get on board. Imagine if he didn't send it? Not only would you and your son be heart broken, but you'd be out all that money you paid for the trip. On one of the Allure of the Seas tv shows, there was a family who almost didn't get to go on their cruise because they didn't have the letter. Fortunately the ex got it to them in time. I'd rather deal with a cranky ex than risk having my trip ruined.

What if the ex is available in those few hours between pier arrival and ship sailing? Get the letter.

My sister and I have traveled with our children (sans dads) on RCI (12/12) and CCL(6/13) and were not asked for a letter. My travel agent never even mentioned it.

But that's just our experience.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Iv'e traveled 4 times with my son- 3 on Carnival and one NCL and have never been asked for a letter (only had a letter one time). If it makes a difference, my son has my last name and has a passport. I have never been questioned by immigration officials before. I think in the TV show about the Oasis, the child in question had a different last name which caused the holdup.

I think the problem is when the mother has a different last name, as in my daughters case. She is bringing divorce papers as well as her new marriage license and a letter from the father. Better safe than sorry.

I do have the same last name as my girls and they do have passports and we have been asked - just a fractrion of the times we've cruised, but it has happened. It's luck of the draw. Most people are not asked for proof, but I sure wouldn't want to take a chance - especially when traveling with children who would be crushed on top of the expense etc. since travel insurance does not usually cover circumstances where you did not have proper documentation.

Best,

Mia

Archived