Amtrak cascades - Vancouver station warning

narsibvl

Here is a warning for all those who are doing the Amtrak Cascades from Vancouver down south. There are absolutely no luggage carts out in the station. We reached the station early in the morning around 5:15 am with 4 big suitcases, two carry on, one backpack, a hand bag, assortment of optics and two kids in tow. The line extended from the immigration room all the way out of the station and to our dismay there were no luggage carts outside and no body from Amtrak to inquire either. Be prepared for it.

While I appreciate the heads up - there are supposed to be carts there. I know that the smaller stations often open and close around the train schedules. I suspect that that station opens around 5:30 since the first train leaves at 6:40 - and that is only because of customs.

We got lucky and found one outside where our cab dropped us off. There were 2 women who had a ton of luggage (more than the 5 of us) that were able to get 2 carts from an Amtrak attendant. Of course he didn't appear on the scene until about 30 minutes before we started boarding. I did overhear him say something about the Canandian Rail people always "stealing" them - or some such thing.

Considering that a) VIA rail actually run the station, and b) there are only 2 Amtrak trains per day whereas VIA staff are on-site from 5:00am to 1:00am daily, I think you will find it *much* more sensible to talk to a VIA representative about finding carts (which incidentally there are many of).

I walk past the station all the time and usually see a huge 'corrall' of carts outside at the north end - all the Amtrak trains in my experience use the tracks at the far south end of the terminal.

Considering that a) VIA rail actually run the station, and b) there are only 2 Amtrak trains per day whereas VIA staff are on-site from 5:00am to 1:00am daily, I think you will find it *much* more sensible to talk to a VIA representative about finding carts (which incidentally there are many of).

I walk past the station all the time and usually see a huge 'corrall' of carts outside at the north end - all the Amtrak trains in my experience use the tracks at the far south end of the terminal.

So it was just that one day ? I guess...it ain't that bad then ...

Archived