Our First Dam Ship: Amsterdam to Alaska Trip Review

Steppy08

Thank you for taking the time to wrote your review and post pictures.

Excellent.

Many of us agree that the cutbacks are starting to show. WE have had some cabin stewards that have 30 - 34 cabins to do. This is quite a few compared to years ago when those of us staying in the Neptune Suites and Pinnacle Suite had only 1 cabin steward who did only 9 - 10 cabins.

We didn't realize until talking with our friends from CC who were about 8 cabins down from us that they also had the Heris as their stewards. And then we saw them all the way forward, up to the port side Pinnacle suite. That's just way too many cabins. Especially suites.

Thoroughly enjoyed your review and photos. Alaska has moved up a couple of spaces on my "life list".

Where are you going next? I'll look forward to that future review.

Best wishes.

Well, right now Steve and I are considering our first back-to-back cruise, an exotic Southern Caribbean out of San Juan on RCI's Jewel of the Seas. (Sadly, HAL has absolutely no ships in the Caribbean during the summers, which is when we have to travel)

On the short list:

Northern Europe cruise (we loved the HAL itineraries for these!)

A land tour of Ireland/England with a transatlantic crossing from Southampton to NYC at the end (most likely would have to be on Cunard).

Thank You Teri

he was very lonesome when I saw him last June-July. I loved talking to him. I had a feeling as soon as his contract was up he would be leaving. I will miss that wonderful smile.

The Yum Yum man hands out candies you have to walk up to him. He cannot run after people. I also walked past him a few nights.

Mary

Good evening Amy,

We have enjoyed your review, cruising back this fall and wondering the name of the store you purchased the scrapbook supplies in Ketchikan?

Sue >M<

Thanks Sue. It was the Tongass Trading Co. store directly across from the statue of the people at the dock. (There's at least three Tongass Trading Co. stores)

But I had to settle for an 8.5x11 album, they did not have a 12x12 that I liked. They did have the best selection of stickers, inserts, and theme packages (across from the cash registers)

If I had to do it over I would have bought the album at Skagway Hardware and the stickers/extras here.

Wow, what a review! You really made me think twice about taking an Alaskan cruise. My rule of thumb was NEVER cruise north of where I live (Montreal)

Well, that changed this June when DH and I cruised from Boston to Montreal on the Maasdam. It wasn`t really that bad. OK, it was GREAT!! As long as you realize that the clothing and temperature will be TOTALLY different from what you are always used to, you will have a ball!

We also had an upgrade to a suite (B220 to S002 $99 PP) and we just loved it. Total different experience. It was also my first time, so I know how you felt.

Your review made a 7 day Alaskan cruise seem doable. I always thought 7 days was not enough. You obviously planned each day thoroughly and didn`t over exert yourselves.

Bravo on a superb review!! (Love your Tuque)

Because of you, I might yet get there.

The yum-yum man is right outside the MDR after dinner with a cart of yum yums like candied ginger, mints, and other after dinner goodies he hands out for free.

When we have chosen flex dining we have rarely seen the Yum Yum Man, just an unmanned cart.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for taking the time to write this awesome review! We are boarding the Amsterdam 8/2....finally taking the Alaska cruise I've wanted to do for 20 years! I am more excited than ever. Thank you!!

Wow, what a review! You really made me think twice about taking an Alaskan cruise. My rule of thumb was NEVER cruise north of where I live (Montreal)

Well, that changed this June when DH and I cruised from Boston to Montreal on the Maasdam. It wasn`t really that bad. OK, it was GREAT!! As long as you realize that the clothing and temperature will be TOTALLY different from what you are always used to, you will have a ball!

We also had an upgrade to a suite (B220 to S002 $99 PP) and we just loved it. Total different experience. It was also my first time, so I know how you felt.

Your review made a 7 day Alaskan cruise seem doable. I always thought 7 days was not enough. You obviously planned each day thoroughly and didn`t over exert yourselves.

Bravo on a superb review!! (Love your Tuque)

Because of you, I might yet get there.

Are you sure you like my tuque? It IS a Penguins tuque.

Thanks for the compliments. Most of Steve's family lives in Montreal (he was born in Lachine)... I would love to visit the city.

7 days is definitely doable. I feel like we had a true Alaskan experience but didn't kill ourselves to do it.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for taking the time to write this awesome review! We are boarding the Amsterdam 8/2....finally taking the Alaska cruise I've wanted to do for 20 years! I am more excited than ever. Thank you!!

Have an amazing trip! If you need someone to stow away and be a guide I'm available! :D I am in full- fledged cruise withdrawal now, so I have to live vicariously through all of you who are still sailing this year...

Best review I have read. Thanks for all the information on the ship and the Alaskan experience. It has been an enjoyable journey with you!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks Bead Babe. Good luck in planning your first cruise!

Amy,

This is wonderful. Great job.

Knowing what you now know, can you sum up what you'd do differently, or for that matter what you'd do exactly the same? Do you regret not going on the Yukon railway? Given the fog and potential hypothermia, would you choose kayaking again?

Lydia

Amy,

This is wonderful. Great job.

Knowing what you now know, can you sum up what you'd do differently, or for that matter what you'd do exactly the same? Do you regret not going on the Yukon railway? Given the fog and potential hypothermia, would you choose kayaking again?

Lydia

Hi Lydia!

I was watching something about Santorini yesterday and thought about you guys.

In Skagway, yes I wish we would have done the Yukon Railroad. It only takes 3-4 hours and we had tons of time there, so we still could have hiked just as much. I also would rather have taken a car/cab to Gold Rush... the walk is easy but boring. Of course both those options cost more money.

In Juneau, we wouldn't have done anything differently. The kayaking was a lot of fun, despite the fog and risk of hypothermia. :) And it was unique. They do offer guided excursions and canoe excursions that aren't quite as risky if you still want to experience the water.

In Ketchikan, I would definitely do the plane ride again. I would probably also schedule another short tour (not sure what though, maybe a salmon-centered tour of some sort). We had a lot of time to wander the streets of Ketchikan, and it's an awesome town but not really that big. We could have done a bit more. (Again, that costs more money).

I'm really, really glad we got a balcony cabin. There is just so much interesting scenery outside ALL the time. And it was great for watching glaciers. I think the Radiance is a great ship for Alaska for that reason - you guys will have wonderful views (we kind of missed the glass elevators!)

Hope that helps!

Amy

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for the amazing review. We are on the same cruise on the 16th of August and we are so excited. Your review has helped us choose the things we will do in the ports.

You're welcome. Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Thank you so much for your awesome review! It's definitely one of the best Alaska reviews out there. I'm now even more pumped for our cruse the beginning of September. We're not on Holland America. We're going to all of the same ports that you did though and we're doing both Glacier Bay and the Inside Passage. I sure hope my pictures turn out half as good as yours so we have the same wonderful memories for years to come. This will be our 2nd trip to Alaska. It's definitely worth going back. So hopefully you'll get to do that some day. It's been 9 years since our last Alaska cruise. So it's definitely time for a refresher. Again, thank you for the wonderful review. I know they take a lot of time and work and it's very much appreciated! :)

Thank you so much for your awesome review! It's definitely one of the best Alaska reviews out there. I'm now even more pumped for our cruse the beginning of September. We're not on Holland America. We're going to all of the same ports that you did though and we're doing both Glacier Bay and the Inside Passage. I sure hope my pictures turn out half as good as yours so we have the same wonderful memories for years to come. This will be our 2nd trip to Alaska. It's definitely worth going back. So hopefully you'll get to do that some day. It's been 9 years since our last Alaska cruise. So it's definitely time for a refresher. Again, thank you for the wonderful review. I know they take a lot of time and work and it's very much appreciated! :)

No problem, thanks for taking the time to read it! Have a great cruise!

• 4 weeks later...
A quick tip about cabin selection...

Several people on various forums here on CC had said that it doesn't really matter what side your cabin is on for Alaska, there are beautiful views everywhere! True, but if doing Glacier Bay and you're like me and you want to see everything first, then you should probably book on the port side.

I had given it absolutely no thought whatsoever, and just happened to end up with our comfy suite on the port side. Cindi from our Roll Call did more research on the matter, and came up with several opinions that stated either side was great. But, of those who expressed a preference, it was always port. Here's why:

As you sail into Glacier Bay, all of the glaciers visible from the ship are on the left side - The Reid, Lamplugh, and Johns Hopkins are all on the left, as well as the big star, the Margerie Glacier. Yes, yes, the ship turns around and goes back out the same way, but are you really going to wait 5 hours to go and look at that side of the bay? I think not. If you want to relax and enjoy the view from your balcony, book port side.

Turquoise water that's not in the Caribbean?

Relax and enjoy the view, we did. I did not let the Pea Soup Incident of the morning cloud my excitement for being in one of the most beautiful places in the world. One of the first things I noticed about Glacier Bay was the stunning color of the water. Silly me, I thought that it would be cold and murky, kind of like the Atlantic Ocean up north. Instead, it was crystal clear and in many places a gorgeous turquoise color I thought existed only in the Caribbean.

IMG_1706_zps37bf2cba.jpg

Here is the ranger boat after the Park Rangers and speakers came aboard.

So Steve and I relaxed and ate lunch as we sailed deeper and deeper into Glacier Bay. Pretty much every view from our balcony was post card worthy. And we had a nice bottle of Chardonnay to drink from the Captain and Hotel Director (again, we are not wine experts... it was free therefore it was nice). Coming out of the bay was another ship, and upon further inspection it was the ms Volendam. I found out from another person on the boards here (In Toronto, I think was the screen name) that they only had one working propeller, and had time cut short at the Margerie Glacier because we were on our way in. Thankfully, the engineer had the ship mended quickly and it didn't disrupt the rest of their cruise.

Alaskascenery105_zpsccf51b2e.jpg

I'm pretty sure HAL should pay us to use this picture in some sort of advertisement...

On we went, and then we noticed the ice chunks in the water becoming more plentiful, and larger. Cue the Titanic jokes. Again, the water was just absolutely stunning.

IMG_1735_zps674f0ebe.jpg

And here is one of my favorite photos from this entire trip...

IMG_1732_zpsc4db43c4.jpg

I think that Glacier Bay is very similar to the Grand Canyon. The pictures are amazing, but its not until you're there in person that you realize just how vast it really is. Pictures can't even come close to doing this place justice. You should go there.

This is the first time I've ever even come close to being disappointed by the itinerary we have next year. We aren't going to Glacier Bay. Looks like we'll be going back to Alaska after next year's cruise ;) Stunning photos.

You're from Pittsburgh. You know how to deal with cold. It's those people that live in year round warmth that don't know any better. Cold is all relative, on our post cruise stay in Fort Lauderdale last year, highs were in the 50's. The natives thought it was cold, I asked them if they would rather have highs in the teens. :eek::eek:

Ha ha ha. I'm in trouble. . . :eek:

• 7 months later...

I found this review on the list of 2013 Alaska reviews and just wanted to tell you that I enjoyed reading EVERY word and savoring each photo! Outstanding!! I have done several photo reviews and can appreciate all the time and effort that went into this one.

We will be spending a couple of days in Vancouver prior to our cruise next month and I was interested in how you used the all day transit pass. My plan was to use the HOHO trolley, but now may rethink those plans. We are not city people so the thought of trying to figure out the system is a bit scared to me. :eek: