Allure and on-board phones

I was on the Allure last week and they still rent them but the number of phones is very limited. It was listed on the Compass that they would be available in the Card Room on deck 14. We got there around 12:15 pm on embarkation day and there were no more available to rent. So if you want them, you should plan to board early and go right there.

• 3 weeks later...

We rented the phones on our 7/21 Allure cruise. We went to the Card Room at a little before 1:00, and had no problem renting (there seemed to be plenty available).

However, I will say that the phones were absolutely and completely worthless. Whenever we tried to call someone in our party, we'd get a message saying the person was not available. This would happen even if they were standing right next to us with their phone in hand. We constantly got a message saying that the phone was trying to connect to the ship's Wi-Fi. Since the signal was lost all the time, the phones didn't work. There was no text alert message, so the only way you knew you had a text was to open the app and look. I was able to make 2 successful calls during the course of the cruise. I would have been much happier with the old DECT phones, as they actually worked.

We had some friends on the same sailing, and they had the same experience with the phones. When I went to return the phones, I told the communications people about my experience. They said that I should have returned the phone by Tuesday if I wasn't happy (there must be a lot of unhappy people if they have this policy in place!) I explained that I was never informed of the rules, and they removed the charges from my Sea Pass.

Archived