Cruising While Pregnant?

susyg

How picky is Royal about me cruising when I am 28 weeks? Has any one else done this? TIA

Susan

:D

Most cruise lines don't allow a woman past 20 weeks pregnant to sail. Even if your Doctor says it's OK , they still won't allow you to cruise . Some have a limit of 18 weeks of pregnancy. The main reason is that aren't equipmented to handle premature babies. You also have to be care now , some airlines have similiar rules for flying.

Cruise lines are very strict about this. They don't have the ability to care properly for a preterm baby or handle a complicated delivery. Since there is a chance for survival at 24 weeks, they don't take the chance of having a baby born after that time.

They all require some type of doctor's note stating the estimated due date and that you are fit to travel. Some just require a note from the doctor & some require specific forms completed by the doctor. If you don't have the required paperwork at boarding they will refuse boarding (the paperwork must be completed prior to sailing, but it's a good idea to keep a copy with you).

Most cruise lines don't allow a woman past 20 weeks pregnant to sail. Even if your Doctor says it's OK , they still won't allow you to cruise . Some have a limit of 18 weeks of pregnancy. The main reason is that aren't equipmented to handle premature babies. You also have to be care now , some airlines have similiar rules for flying.

Very few (at least in the US) airlines have limits on flying except for the last few weeks of pregnancy. I flew regularly through 34 weeks for work (my dr actually preferred I fly rather than drive when both were an option). I checked it out in advance & some airlines said they reserved the right to ask for a doctor's note if beyond 36 weeks, but that was the only limit.

I have never sailed pregnant but I can tell you on our last Carnival trip March there were several woman who where well past the 25 week mark . That is the cut off Carnival uses. I am an ob nurse and can defiantly tell the difference between a 25 week pregnant woman and a woman who looks like she is about to deliver.

These woman must have forged the paper work because I cannot see a physician doing it.

The limit is there only for your unborn babies protection..if you were to go into labor at 25 weeks in the USA the baby has a chance to survive but not on a cruise ship.

I cruised with a doctors note at 18 weeks pregnant. I had done all the research into what was allowed and not allowed and was told to make sure I had that note as it would be checked at check in.

No one ever asked me anything, no one asked to see a note, no one asked if I was pregnant.

I personally would not cruise at 28 weeks, both to follow the rules and for safety, but if you either aren't showing like crazy or are maybe overweight to begin with I doubt the cruise line would ask.

I cruised on a different line at 24 weeks-which was allowed with a note from my midwife. That cruiseline seemed confused when I produced the note, but I was following the rules stated on their website. I think a lot of women lie or try to hide their pregnancies. While probably no one is going to ask, it could be a huge problem if an emergency should arise.

Another thing to ponder: Though the cruise was fun, I would never cruise pregnant again. I was soooo tired and sick that I wasn't able to enjoy a lot of what was going on. Could drink, didn't feel like dancing or doing many of the excursions... Every pregnancy is different of course, but I left that cruise feeling that I didn't get my monies worth. I spent a lot of time in bed.

Please reconsider the risk to you and your child. Even the most normal, easy (okay, that's a relative term in this case) pregnancy can have unexpected problems. A cruise ship would not be equipped to care for either you or your baby if something happens. And they would assume no liability because the contracts clearly, specifically state the requirements for pregnant women cruising. That 24 week cutoff is there to protect everyone, including the cruise lines. As awful as we know it to be, the truth is that until 24 weeks, a premature baby is extraordinarily unlikely to live no matter what. Being on a cruise ship before 24 weeks would not change that. But after 24 weeks, there's a chance, assuming that the baby has the necessary specialty care immediately.

They are very "picky" about this, in that there are no exceptions made ever, period. If you are asked about it at boarding and you do not have a doctor's letter stating you are both fit to cruise and less than 24 weeks along, you will be denied boarding with no recourse and no refund.

But the bottom line is that you need to consider what's best for your and your baby's health.

beachchick

I cruised around 16 weeks pregnant and had a great time. The only real difference was that I drank virgin frozen drinks. I got sea sick one night that was especially rough (along with a large portion of the other passengers). Per my doctor I ended up taking 1 Dramamine--my dr said to try things like ginger ale first but that I could take up to 1 Dramamine a day if really needed--he said that would be better than vomiting a lot. Between ginger ale, 1 Dramamine & sleeping with the door open (we were in the North Sea so it was nice & cool) I was fine as soon as things calmed down.

I was about 4-1/2 months when I went on my preggers cruise. Back in the 90s, I don't recall seeing anything that said we needed a doctor's note. I did ask my OB-GYN if it was okay to go, and he was definitely fine with it. It was the best time in my pregnancy to go (the first trimester too nervous as I had a history of miscarrying) and of course, the third trimester is not a good time because of the chance of going into labor. I didn't have a problem with morning sickness at any time so that wasn't a considering.

Now, if I had a problem pregnancy, I wouldn't have gone at all. But certainly not after 20 weeks or so if that's in the conditions of the cruise line -- if something went wrong, it would have been my fault.

Archived