Just off Jewel of the Seas

Aggie (or anybody who's recently cruised Jewel),

Does Jewel have the flat-screened tvs, or those giant, obnoxious CRT-looking ones? Hope that I won't have to wait for 2016 drydock for a modern television set (not that anyone spends a whole lot of time in the cabin...)!

Our cabin, 7126, had an old style. We didn't watch much tv, we used it more for background noise in the mornings while we got ready.

Hi everyone,

Taking the Jewel out of San Juan week of Thanksgiving :) and just wondering how the self disembarking is handled on this ship and port.

Do I need to fill out a form to request it or just do it by not putting my luggage out the night before? What obstacles will I have to traverse with family to get off the ship carrying my own luggage at san Juan?

Thanks in advance....

Although I didn't self disembark, I believe you don't have to fill anything out to do this. You will be given luggage tags, with a number on it, the night before. The number will correspond with a waiting area and waiting time. We were #16 and we had a disembark time of 8:30. We were to wait in the Safari Club. We left the ship early (8:10?) and was surprised to see everyone's luggage already out in the customs room. I believe we could have disembarked earlier than our time indicated on our tags. Depending on what time you want to disembark, and if it is not to be the first off the ship, you will be fine leaving your luggage out. No sense lugging them off the ship yourselves when they will be right there before you go through customs. They are very efficient getting people on and off the ship.

Just off Jewel this morning. Some small comments:

- stateroom 7172 had flatscreen. Nice balcony. Didnt notice any smell of smoke from the balcony next to us. No ash.

- food in windjammer and mdr was good and warm.

- Portofino was a waste of money.

- quest. One word: tacky!!!!

- quite big difference between Euopean cruises and Caribbean cruises. More "party" and noise on caribbean..

Will be back with more.

Does anyone know what time the muster drill is? I've read different answers. I've read that there is only one at 8:00 PM and I've also read that there is one at 5:30 PM and another one at 8:00 PM. Can anyone confirm this for me? Thanks!

Does anyone know what time the muster drill is? I've read different answers. I've read that there is only one at 8:00 PM and I've also read that there is one at 5:30 PM and another one at 8:00 PM. Can anyone confirm this for me? Thanks!

We have been trying to figure out the same so we can make the necessary MTD reservations. The last I read was that the muster is at 8:00 and to accomodate the first night's early seating is at 6:00.

Does not make any sense that they would hold it during the dinner time. We have always had it at 5:30 when sailing out of San Juan even though you don't set sail until 8:30.

Read on either this thread or another that the Jewel is now substituting scallops for the escargot.

I had the pleasure of having the scallops as an appetizer on the Enchantment, and they weren't too bad. Not as great as the escargot, but good.

I would rather have the muster drill at 5:30 than at 8:00, but we will see. I am leaving this weekend to go on the Jewel, so I will report back. I will also report back on the scallop or escargot situation as well. I like both, but I would prefer escargot.

I would rather have the muster drill at 5:30 than at 8:00, but we will see. I am leaving this weekend to go on the Jewel, so I will report back. I will also report back on the scallop or escargot situation as well. I like both, but I would prefer escargot.
We'd appreciate the update! We are on her the 19th, so tell them to get some for us!:D

Have a great cruise!

Please do, Ace. Considering a Jewel sailing in May, and would LOVE to see a review from you if at all possible!

Read on either this thread or another that the Jewel is now substituting scallops for the escargot.
I've heard there is frequent substitution of the scallops. But if available the escargot is offered. scallops are not bad, (except they remind me that I wanted the Escargot :rolleyes::D)

DW and I are planning our 2015 cruise, I know it is 2 years out but that is the way we are. We went on the FOS in 2013 and we are going on the FOS again in 2 weeks, next year we are booked for the Allure, I would like to do the Southern Carib on the Jewel. Please tell me all you can about the Jewel and the itinerary.

This will help us make a decision.

I've heard there is frequent substitution of the scallops. But if available the escargot is offered. scallops are not bad, (except they remind me that I wanted the Escargot :rolleyes::D)

:D:D

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

DW and I are planning our 2015 cruise, I know it is 2 years out but that is the way we are. We went on the FOS in 2013 and we are going on the FOS again in 2 weeks, next year we are booked for the Allure, I would like to do the Southern Carib on the Jewel. Please tell me all you can about the Jewel and the itinerary.

This will help us make a decision.

Which itinerary are you most interested in?

Yes please report when you return on the muster and escargo. Have a great cruise.

We have been trying to figure out the same so we can make the necessary MTD reservations. The last I read was that the muster is at 8:00 and to accomodate the first night's early seating is at 6:00.

Does not make any sense that they would hold it during the dinner time. We have always had it at 5:30 when sailing out of San Juan even though you don't set sail until 8:30.

I have a May Cruise Compass from Jewel S Caribbean out of SJ and the muster drill is listed twice 5:30 PM guest muster drill and 8 PM guest muster drill only for guest who arrived after 5:30 PM. ( the 8 PM is held in the Coral theater, whereas the earlier one I believe you go to your stations! )

Edited by Familygoboston

I have a May Cruise Compass from Jewel S Caribbean out of SJ and the muster drill is listed twice 5:30 PM guest muster drill and 8 PM guest muster drill only for guest who arrived after 5:30 PM. ( the 8 PM is held in the Coral theater, whereas the earlier one I believe you go to your stations! )

We sailed the Jewel on Sept. 14 and there was no escargot. Muster drill was at 8 pm for us - only 1 muster drill on our sailing.

BTW - stateroom 9014 was great!

The 2 drills make sense. Having one and only one at 8:00 not only interupts dinner but also there are usually shows going on at that time. In addition, it is dark so to have that many people jammed on deck in lower light, with their dinners getting cold etc etc makes no sense at all.

I have to question those that say there is only one at 8:00. Anxious to hear what those who are sailing in the next couple of weeks will have to say.

We sailed the Jewel on Sept. 14 and there was no escargot. Muster drill was at 8 pm for us - only 1 muster drill on our sailing.

BTW - stateroom 9014 was great!

No escargot? Cancel my cruise <just kidding>. I think the unlimited escargot on the first night of my first cruise it what got me hooked in the first place. Too bad...was hoping to recapture that memory again. Oh well...I'll have to find another item on the menu to order 5 of.