need help planning DIY land itinerary for 8 days and nights on the Kenai Peninsula

allisons

The Portage Glacier cruise will be a let down for you. Stopping at Exit Glacier on your way to or from Seward will be a better thing to do as you can hike on very nice trails up to a safe distance from Exit Glacier and be in a very nice area on your own too feet.

The Alyeska tram is only worth the time and cost if the day is clear and/or you are going to have a meal at the top. I know that area very well. Yes you can see Turnagain Arm from the top but only on a clear day.

If you enjoy a nice long walk, the Bird to Gird trail along Turnagain Arm is a good thing to do in total or in part.

Just south of Anchorage is Potter Marsh just off the highway. A great place for animal and bird watching and a really good place to stop for a while. Most people rush along Turnagain Arm. I've spent years along that area and can't get enough of it.

We did Exit Glacier this summer. We hiked all the way to the glacier. It was pretty cool. However, I don't think we'd do it again next summer.

We enjoyed our boat tour to Portage. (We got a great deal....free :D ) It does not compare to other glacier tours, but if you are in the area, I think it might be worth the stop. I know it was for us.

That's what we're thinking. We'll have the 2-for-1 coupon. Girdwood is a sensible place to sleep our last night, since we have to be at the Anchorage train station by 8:45 a.m. the next morning. So we figured, why not do it?

That's what we're thinking. We'll have the 2-for-1 coupon. Girdwood is a sensible place to sleep our last night, since we have to be at the Anchorage train station by 8:45 a.m. the next morning. So we figured, why not do it?

OK, if the Portage boat trip doesn't cost much.....

I hope at Alyeska you can get a good combo deal for hotel and dinner with the needed tram tickets to get to dinner.

If you don't want to stay at Alyeska, after you drop off car/RV you could stay at the Comfort Inn at Ship Creek Anchorage, which is a 5 minute walk or a free shuttle ride from the Alaska Railroad Station. The folks at the Comfort Inn are really nice and are well tuned in to the needs of cruise/train passengers and how it all needs to work.

By that last night you'll be ready for a quiet evening.

I really like the Captain Cook Hotel (great dining). I telephone up there when I need a reservation and make sure I get the room I really want, view etc. The rooms vary a great deal in price, location and what they are like. Then taxi to the train station.

I'm glad you've done Exit Glacier.

OK, if the Portage boat trip doesn't cost much.....

I hope at Alyeska you can get a good combo deal for hotel and dinner with the needed tram tickets to get to dinner.

If you don't want to stay at Alyeska, after you drop off car/RV you could stay at the Comfort Inn at Ship Creek Anchorage, which is a 5 minute walk or a free shuttle ride from the Alaska Railroad Station. The folks at the Comfort Inn are really nice and are well tuned in to the needs of cruise/train passengers and how it all needs to work.

By that last night you'll be ready for a quiet evening.

I really like the Captain Cook Hotel (great dining). I telephone up there when I need a reservation and make sure I get the room I really want, view etc. The rooms vary a great deal in price, location and what they are like. Then taxi to the train station.

I'm glad you've done Exit Glacier.

We weren't planning to drop off the RV or car until Saturday morning at 8:00 a.m. We have no desire to stay in Anchorage again. Thank you for the hotel recommendations. We were wondering where to stay since we would definitely not stay at the Ramada again.

A suggestion for a nice B&B in Girdwood is the Hidden Creek B&B. Only 4 rooms, each lovely and very clean and spacious and "spa-like". There is a hot tub on the deck, a very nice public area for the guests with a Kuerig coffee maker, fridge, tea/coffee/hot chocolate, snacks, etc., a fireplace and comfy couches, a computer for guest's use, and a washer/dryer. Oh, and DELICOUS homemade breakfast included - made to order with your own personalized menu to choose from. The owner of the B&B is a culinary whiz and her fresh baked cookies waiting in our room upon arrival were to die for;)!

A suggestion for a nice B&B in Girdwood is the Hidden Creek B&B. Only 4 rooms, each lovely and very clean and spacious and "spa-like". There is a hot tub on the deck, a very nice public area for the guests with a Kuerig coffee maker, fridge, tea/coffee/hot chocolate, snacks, etc., a fireplace and comfy couches, a computer for guest's use, and a washer/dryer. Oh, and DELICOUS homemade breakfast included - made to order with your own personalized menu to choose from. The owner of the B&B is a culinary whiz and her fresh baked cookies waiting in our room upon arrival were to die for;)!

Ooh! That sounds amazing! Thank you so much! Yum!

So, we now booked the Island Princess to do the same cruise but on Wednesday instead of Saturday. So we will have only 5 days and nights in Alaska beforehand. But then we will have 4 days and nights in the Seattle are afterwards. Here is our new plan:

Alaska:

day 1 - fly into Anchorage

night 1 - Anchorage

day 2 - drive from Anchorage to Homer

night 2 - Homer

day 3 - Wildlife Cruise of Katchemak Bay, Pratt Museum

night 3 - Homer

day 4 - sightseeing in Homer

night 4 - Homer

day 5 - drive to Portage Glacier, Portage Glacier Cruise, drive to Girdwood, Alyeska Tram

night 5 - Girdwood

day 6 - drive from Girdwood to Anchorage, train from Anchoarge to Whittier, board ship

Seattle:

day 1 - disembark ship, Amtrak from Vancouver to Seattle, sightseeing in Seattle

night 1 - Seattle

day 2 - Olympia, capitol building

night 2 - Seattle

day 3 - Olympic National Park

night 3 - Seattle

day 4 - ferry to San Juan Islands

night 4 - Seattle

day 5 - sightseeing in Seattle, board ship

***SEATTLE CITY PASS***

Adult $74

Your Seattle CityPASS is valid for nine days from date of first use.

Unused ticket booklet is valid for 12 months from date of purchase.

Inclusions

Admission to Space Needle

Admission to Pacific Science Center plus one IMAX movie

Admission to Experience Music Project | Science Fiction Museum

Admission to Seattle Aquarium

1-hour Argosy Harbor Cruise

Choice ticket: Woodland Park Zoo OR The Museum of Flight

http://www.allseattletours.com/body.asp?tour=SEA-CP001&page=TourDetails

Awaiting the verdict on the RV rental.....

***SEATTLE CITY PASS***

Adult $74

Your Seattle CityPASS is valid for nine days from date of first use.

Unused ticket booklet is valid for 12 months from date of purchase.

Inclusions

Admission to Space Needle

Admission to Pacific Science Center plus one IMAX movie

Admission to Experience Music Project | Science Fiction Museum

Admission to Seattle Aquarium

1-hour Argosy Harbor Cruise

Choice ticket: Woodland Park Zoo OR The Museum of Flight

http://www.allseattletours.com/body.asp?tour=SEA-CP001&page=TourDetails

Awaiting the verdict on the RV rental.....

Thank you so much! This is awesome! I've been to Seattle many times and have done the first three on that list, but this is my husband's first time in Seattle so we're at least doing Pike Place Market, Space Needle, and EMP. I already decided that we will skip the Science Center and he's fine with that, but I'll have to look into the Aquarium, Harbor Cruise, Zoo, and Museum of Flight.

You'll have a long-ish wait for a decision about the RV. We don't have a free weekend to rent one and have our trial run until the fall. We were going to go to an RV dealer today to check it out, but doing so would put us in prime beach traffic, so we're not. Therefore, it will be a few months before any progress is made on that decision.

With fewer days/nights on land in Alaska I would forget about the RV all together. AIP's suggestion for the B & B in Girdwood has many benefits including having clean laundry for your cruise!

5 days will go by very quickly. It is not worth the bother to do an RV.

With fewer days/nights on land in Alaska I would forget about the RV all together. AIP's suggestion for the B & B in Girdwood has many benefits including having clean laundry for your cruise!

That's what I'm thinking too. It's impossible to get my husband to give up on this idea!

That's what I'm thinking too. It's impossible to get my husband to give up on this idea!

Go ahead and book that Hidden Creek B & B in Girdwood as that will sell out quickly.

It looks so good, I would stay there! (and you know it takes a lot to get me out of the wilderness!) I know that area extremely well. This place is a real find!

Likewise other places that you really want.

Let your DH investigate the RV scheme and make his own decision. My DH will hold on to an idea endlessly if I take an opposite opinion but eventually comes around to reason.

If husband is yearning to drive something big, rent a big SUV.

You are a fantastic research person!

Go ahead and book that Hidden Creek B & B in Girdwood as that will sell out quickly.

It looks so good, I would stay there! (and you know it takes a lot to get me out of the wilderness!) I know that area extremely well. This place is a real find!

Likewise other places that you really want.

Let your DH investigate the RV scheme and make his own decision. My DH will hold on to an idea endlessly if I take an opposite opinion but eventually comes around to reason.

If husband is yearning to drive something big, rent a big SUV.

You are a fantastic research person!

I'm definitely booking both! I've got the RV booked with cancelation protection, I've got the car booked, and I'm starting to book hotels/B&Bs. We'll see how it goes with our RV trial weekend. Either I'll be absolutely fine with it, or he'll realize it's a major problem.

I SO agree with this! We own a truck and travel trailer, so when we go RVing we can unhook and drive off in the pickup. You will not have that luxury and it will become a MAJOR issue when it comes to sightseeing. If you were going to start at one end and meander your way down, stopping at each destination as you pass by, I would say "fine". But it sounds like you will be doing a lot of travel back and forth to your day trips and that's a lot of sewer dumping, hooking and unhooking the facilities, etc... EVERY MORNING and then reconnecting everything again that evening when you get back to camp. Not to mention the extra gasoline, at considerable more expense than what you are used to paying at home.

Make all your alternate arrangements and when hubby finally comes to his senses, sigh VERY deeply and say with a concerned look, "Oh dear, I hope I can come up with a Plan B at such a late date. I will sure try my best." ;)

Keep us informed as it gets closer to your trial run, so we can plan the demise of said camping weekend. :D

I SO agree with this! We own a truck and travel trailer, so when we go RVing we can unhook and drive off in the pickup. You will not have that luxury and it will become a MAJOR issue when it comes to sightseeing. If you were going to start at one end and meander your way down, stopping at each destination as you pass by, I would say "fine". But it sounds like you will be doing a lot of travel back and forth to your day trips and that's a lot of sewer dumping, hooking and unhooking the facilities, etc... EVERY MORNING and then reconnecting everything again that evening when you get back to camp. Not to mention the extra gasoline, at considerable more expense than what you are used to paying at home.

Make all your alternate arrangements and when hubby finally comes to his senses, sigh VERY deeply and say with a concerned look, "Oh dear, I hope I can come up with a Plan B at such a late date. I will sure try my best." ;)

Keep us informed as it gets closer to your trial run, so we can plan the demise of said camping weekend. :D

I showed hubby the websites for Good Karma Inn in Homer and Hidden Creek Bed & Breakfast in Girdwood. He was very intrigued. He's even more into nice B&Bs than I am. This might be even easier than we thought! ;)

I showed hubby the websites for Good Karma Inn in Homer and Hidden Creek Bed & Breakfast in Girdwood. He was very intrigued. He's even more into nice B&Bs than I am. This might be even easier than we thought! ;)

Keep up the good work! :D

The hubs is getting excited about Seattle/Washington state. He said that it probably doesn't make sense to rent an RV in Alaska if we're only there for a few days and only going to Homer. I agree! In the meantime, here is our itinerary so far:

ALASKA:

Day 1:

fly into Anchorage

rent RV or car

Dinner – Bear Tooth Theatrepub & Grill

Night 1 – Anchorage

Day 2:

drive from Anchorage to Homer

scenic viewing along the drive

Dinner - The Homestead Restaurant

Night 2 – Homer

Day 3:

sightseeing in Homer

Homer Spit

art scene in Homer

Dinner – Lands End Resort

Night 3 – Homer

Day 4:

Wildlife Cruise of Katchemak Bay

Pratt Museum

Night 4 – Homer

Day 5:

drive from Homer to Portage Glacier

Portage Glacier Cruise

drive from Portage Glacier to Girdwood

Alyeska Tram

Dinner – Alyeska Resort

Night 5 – Girdwood

Day 6:

drive from Girdwood to Anchorage

return RV or car

train from Anchoarge to Whittier

board Island Princess

SEATTLE:

Day 1:

disembark Island Princess

Amtrak from Vancouver to Seattle

rent car

sightseeing in Seattle

Pike Place Market

Space Needle

Experience Music Project

Science Center (if time)

Dinner - Elliott’s Oyster House

Night 1 – Seattle

Day 2:

ferry from Seattle to Bainbridge Island

sightseeing in Bainbridge Island

drive from Bainbridge Island to Bremerton

sightseeing in Bremerton

ferry from Bremerton to Seattle

(OR)

(ferry from Seattle to Bremerton)

(sightseeing in Bremerton)

(drive from Bremerton to Bainbridge Island)

(sightseeing in Bainbridge Island)

(ferry from Bainbridge Island to Seattle)

Dinner - Chandler’s Crab House

Night 2 – Seattle

Day 3:

drive from Seattle to Edmonds

ferry from Edmonds to Kingston

drive from Kingston to Port Angeles

Olympic National Park Visitors Center

drive first half of counterclockwise loop around Olympic National Park

Hurricane Ridge

Lake Crescent

Hoh Rain Forest

Rialto Beach

Night 3 – Forks

Day 4:

Drive second half of counterclockwise loop around Olympic National Park

Deer Park

Quinault Valley

drive to Olympia

Night 4 – Olympia

Day 5:

sightseeing in Olympia

tour of capitol building

drive from Olympia to Seattle

return car

board HAL ms Amsterdam

Great sounding trip. Somehow reading about your trip I missed that you were going on another cruise at the end of the trip on the Amsterdam. Sounds so fun.

We have been to Homer 3 times. It is so beautiful. Everytime we have been there we have hit great weather with clear skies. I hope you do also so y ou can see the gorgeous mountains across Kachemak Bay.

We had a lot of fun kayaking across the other side of the bay from Homer. You take a boat out of Homer to get there. We are an older couple and we loved it but that was 7 years ago. I was a tad younger then. Don't know if I would do that now. But, I bet you would enjoy it. Right there with nature and otters near your kayaks. And I had never kayaked before. You have a guide nearby.

Great sounding trip. Somehow reading about your trip I missed that you were going on another cruise at the end of the trip on the Amsterdam. Sounds so fun.

We have been to Homer 3 times. It is so beautiful. Everytime we have been there we have hit great weather with clear skies. I hope you do also so y ou can see the gorgeous mountains across Kachemak Bay.

We had a lot of fun kayaking across the other side of the bay from Homer. You take a boat out of Homer to get there. We are an older couple and we loved it but that was 7 years ago. I was a tad younger then. Don't know if I would do that now. But, I bet you would enjoy it. Right there with nature and otters near your kayaks. And I had never kayaked before. You have a guide nearby.

Thank you so much! That sounds great! We'd definitely love to have the opportunity to Kayak on this trip! We're really looking forward to visiting Homer!

Yay! No RV! :)

Sounds like an awesome time. I would suggest that you might want to change the dinner at Homestead for another night.

On a GOOD day to get from Anchorage to Homer you are looking at a minimum of four hours. That would be with no stopping, sightseeing and minimal traffic or else driving with a lead foot, passing all the motorhomes on the two lane highway. I would allow 6-8 hours depending on how much stopping you will be doing.

If it were me I would probably just grab something in town that first night and save the Homestead for another night when you won't be so tired from the drive. (Can you tell I LOVE this place and want you to have the best experience possible? LOL)

Yay! No RV! :)

Sounds like an awesome time. I would suggest that you might want to change the dinner at Homestead for another night.

On a GOOD day to get from Anchorage to Homer you are looking at a minimum of four hours. That would be with no stopping, sightseeing and minimal traffic or else driving with a lead foot, passing all the motorhomes on the two lane highway. I would allow 6-8 hours depending on how much stopping you will be doing.

If it were me I would probably just grab something in town that first night and save the Homestead for another night when you won't be so tired from the drive. (Can you tell I LOVE this place and want you to have the best experience possible? LOL)

That is a really good point! Good catch!

Archived