need help planning DIY land itinerary for 8 days and nights on the Kenai Peninsula

allisons

My husband just came up with a new idea! Keep the RV permanently hooked up at the RV park in Homer and not drive it around. Anywhere we can't walk or ride bikes, like the Homestead Restaurant, take a cab. So, what is the taxi service like in Homer?

We're not specifically focused on the spit. Downtown also. We're doing a wildlife cruise, dinner cruise to Halibut Cove, the Pratt Museum, art galleries, and the art scene in general. Any lodging recommendations? Thanks!

We stayed at Good Karma and loved it. We also visited the Sea Lion for shopping and I think those condos would have lovely views.

Downthread you asked about taxi service in Homer. I did not see a taxi the entire time we were there...doesn't mean they don't exist, but they also don't abound.

We stayed at Good Karma and loved it. We also visited the Sea Lion for shopping and I think those condos would have lovely views.

Downthread you asked about taxi service in Homer. I did not see a taxi the entire time we were there...doesn't mean they don't exist, but they also don't abound.

Good Karma looks so nice. But we really don't want to be outside of Homer. Any nice B&Bs in downtown Homer or the spit?

There's one taxi service. I called and they said that they have numerous cabs and they would be readily available. To go to the Homestead Restaurant, it would be $20 each way from downtown or $30 each way from the spit.

My husband just came up with a new idea! Keep the RV permanently hooked up at the RV park in Homer and not drive it around. Anywhere we can't walk or ride bikes, like the Homestead Restaurant, take a cab. So, what is the taxi service like in Homer?

Have you thought about how much all this is going to cost you? Previously, you were remarking on the cost of the Captain Cooke, Comfort Inn and other hotels.

The RV is going to cost you $200 or more per day. Over 4th of July, I will guess the price will be somewhere in the $350 price range. The nice RV park in Homer is $68 per day + tax which makes it about $75 per day. The "dump" RV park with the spectacular views is $55.00 per day + tax. Then you are going to take a taxi both ways to someplace like the Homestead? Another $60 + tip. You can get a rental car cheaper than that. While a taxi may be readily available due to the time of day, there aren't many in Homer. Unless they have purchased more cabs, Chux/Kostas had a total of about 10.

Yikes, I just looked at rental rates at Great Alaska for 2014. The SMALLEST RV was $375 per day, unlimited mileage over 4th of July. August got you a little better deal-$319, unlimited mileage. None of those figures included insurance which you absolutely, positively MUST take.

For that kind of money, you could stay in the best room in Alyeska, the Captain Cook (although I am much more partial to the Millenium due to the view) and the BEST 1 bedroom condo Land's End has to offer.

PS-I just looked at the availability chart for Heritage RV Park (the nice one). TOTALLY FILLED on July 4, 2014. In fact, other than the first 3 days of July and the last week, there is NO availability on any days in between in July 2014. LOTS of fishing because it is red salmon season and the very tail end of King Salmon season.

Have you thought about how much all this is going to cost you? Previously, you were remarking on the cost of the Captain Cooke, Comfort Inn and other hotels.

The RV is going to cost you $200 or more per day. Over 4th of July, I will guess the price will be somewhere in the $350 price range. The nice RV park in Homer is $68 per day + tax which makes it about $75 per day. The "dump" RV park with the spectacular views is $55.00 per day + tax. Then you are going to take a taxi both ways to someplace like the Homestead? Another $60 + tip. You can get a rental car cheaper than that. While a taxi may be readily available due to the time of day, there aren't many in Homer. Unless they have purchased more cabs, Chux/Kostas had a total of about 10.

Yikes, I just looked at rental rates at Great Alaska for 2014. The SMALLEST RV was $375 per day, unlimited mileage over 4th of July. August got you a little better deal-$319, unlimited mileage. None of those figures included insurance which you absolutely, positively MUST take.

For that kind of money, you could stay in the best room in Alyeska, the Captain Cook (although I am much more partial to the Millenium due to the view) and the BEST 1 bedroom condo Land's End has to offer.

PS-I just looked at the availability chart for Heritage RV Park (the nice one). TOTALLY FILLED on July 4, 2014. In fact, other than the first 3 days of July and the last week, there is NO availability on any days in between in July 2014. LOTS of fishing because it is red salmon season and the very tail end of King Salmon season.

You didn't look using the EarlyBird2014 promotion. It's 50%. Our rate is $188/night with unlimited mileage. Here's the cost comparison for RV vs car/hotel:

RV:

RV rental including unlimited mileage, taxes and fees = $1180

Gas for 500 miles of driving @ 10 mpg @ $4.50/gallon = $225

RV parks for 5 nights @ $50-70/night = $300

Bike rental for 2 days @ $25/bike/day = $100

Taxi to/from Homestead Restaurant @ $30 each way plus tip = $70

TOTAL = $1875

CAR/HOTEL:

Car rental including taxes and fees = $160

Gas for 500 miles of driving @ 30 mpg @ $4.50/gallon = $75

Hotel rooms for 5 nights @$220-250/night plus tax = $1300

Cost to cancel RV reservation = $130

TOTAL = $1665

Oh no! Should we try to rebook our trip for a different time period? How bad will it be? Will everything be overly crowded? Will we not be able to get into restaurants? Will museums and galleries be crowded? What kind of congestion exactly are we talking about? Now I'm very concerned!

Homer is NOT a place most people think of when they think museums and galleries. While the art scene is more prevalent in Homer than in a lot of the rest of Alaska, that is truly not the focus in Homer. FISHING and the beautiful scenery. Out of state tourists go to the museums and galleries. But Homer fills up with ALASKANS going fishing. Halibut capital of the world and with the Fishing Hole being so heavily stocked by Alaska Fish and Game, it is pretty easy to get your limit without "combat fishing" in the Kenai or Russian river. You can take your kids to Homer and they can have a good time while Mom/Dad are fishing. This is why Alaskans go to Homer for 3 days to a week.

It will be VERY crowded 4th of July week, as it is Labor Day. We are always there around Labor Day. It has literally taken me over 30 minutes quite a few times to get from Land's End to Safeway in town due to the traffic on the Spit (about 8 miles). One morning last summer (probably in July-don't remember the exact date), DH wanted to take his Dad out for breakfast someplace different than the Happy Face where we usually go. Picked Two Sisters. After 30 minutes waiting, FIL said FORGET IT. It was still going to be another 15-30 minutes before we were seated. And he was itching to go fishing.

Just plan on large crowds if you go July 4th week.

Homer is NOT a place most people think of when they think museums and galleries. While the art scene is more prevalent in Homer than in a lot of the rest of Alaska, that is truly not the focus in Homer. FISHING and the beautiful scenery. Out of state tourists go to the museums and galleries. But Homer fills up with ALASKANS going fishing. Halibut capital of the world and with the Fishing Hole being so heavily stocked by Alaska Fish and Game, it is pretty easy to get your limit without "combat fishing" in the Kenai or Russian river. You can take your kids to Homer and they can have a good time while Mom/Dad are fishing. This is why Alaskans go to Homer for 3 days to a week.

It will be VERY crowded 4th of July week, as it is Labor Day. We are always there around Labor Day. It has literally taken me over 30 minutes quite a few times to get from Land's End to Safeway in town due to the traffic on the Spit (about 8 miles). One morning last summer (probably in July-don't remember the exact date), DH wanted to take his Dad out for breakfast someplace different than the Happy Face where we usually go. Picked Two Sisters. After 30 minutes waiting, FIL said FORGET IT. It was still going to be another 15-30 minutes before we were seated. And he was itching to go fishing.

Just plan on large crowds if you go July 4th week.

So we may be okay? It sounds like the crowds will be fishing, camping, cooking out, etc. It sounds like the restaurants, museums, galleries, etc. will not be that crowded or have long waits? And traffic won't be an issue for us if we are on foot and/or bike? I'm not worried about the Homer Ocean Charters wildlife cruise of Kachemak Bay or the ferry to Halibut Cove and dinner at The Saltry Restaurant, because we'll have reservations for those. I imagine that I can make reservations at The Homestead Restaurant and The Chart Room Restaurant?

You didn't look using the EarlyBird2014 promotion. It's 50%. Our rate is $188/night with unlimited mileage. Here's the cost comparison for RV vs car/hotel:

RV:

RV rental including unlimited mileage, taxes and fees = $1180

Gas for 500 miles of driving @ 10 mpg @ $4.50/gallon = $225

RV parks for 5 nights @ $50-70/night = $300

Bike rental for 2 days @ $25/bike/day = $100

Taxi to/from Homestead Restaurant @ $30 each way plus tip = $70

TOTAL = $1875

CAR/HOTEL:

Car rental including taxes and fees = $160

Gas for 500 miles of driving @ 30 mpg @ $4.50/gallon = $75

Hotel rooms for 5 nights @$220-250/night plus tax = $1300

Cost to cancel RV reservation = $130

TOTAL = $1665

OK, if you already booked it. But you didn't take into consideration the insurance per day-you MUST get the insurance. And have you made reservations in Homer for RV space?

Why you would subject yourselves to an RV for the same cost or less you can stay in luxury hotels is beyond me? You just don't sound like RV type of people. Your husband may think this is a great adventure. I think you will be miserable. I own RV's. I would still opt for the hotel.

So we may be okay? It sounds like the crowds will be fishing, camping, cooking out, etc. It sounds like the restaurants, museums, galleries, etc. will not be that crowded or have long waits? And traffic won't be an issue for us if we are on foot and/or bike? I'm not worried about the Homer Ocean Charters wildlife cruise of Kachemak Bay or the ferry to Halibut Cove and dinner at The Saltry Restaurant, because we'll have reservations for those. I imagine that I can make reservations at The Homestead Restaurant and The Chart Room Restaurant?

Where are you going to put this RV? THAT needs to be addressed and paid for NOW. Restaurants WILL be crowded. Pratt museum won't. And what do you mean by galleries? Certainly not like anything in Chicago, NY or LA. Not even like the art galleries in Kansas City or Des Moines. Most are just a room, so very small. The Sea Lion gallery on the Spit which has very nice (and very expensive) stuff is one of the larger and it isn't as big as my living room (844 sq ft).

You have to negotiate the Spit to get to both departure points for Halibut Cove and your wildlife cruise. One leaves from the marina, the other from the dock behind the fish processing plant.

Do what you want-it is your vacation. I'm done trying to convince you NOT to get the RV.

OK, if you already booked it. But you didn't take into consideration the insurance per day-you MUST get the insurance. And have you made reservations in Homer for RV space?

Why you would subject yourselves to an RV for the same cost or less you can stay in luxury hotels is beyond me? You just don't sound like RV type of people. Your husband may think this is a great adventure. I think you will be miserable. I own RV's. I would still opt for the hotel.

The insurance is included. There is an option to add a fee that would waive the deductable. But we're not taking that. The deductable is only $2500 and that's only in the unlikely event that we had a mishap.

My husband definitely thinks this is some grand Alaskan adventure to rent an RV. We're definitely not RV people. I'd definitely prefer to stay in hotels. But I'm sure I can do it for 5 nights, it is a new experience, and I like to try things.

Where are you going to put this RV? THAT needs to be addressed and paid for NOW. Restaurants WILL be crowded. Pratt museum won't. And what do you mean by galleries? Certainly not like anything in Chicago, NY or LA. Not even like the art galleries in Kansas City or Des Moines. Most are just a room, so very small. The Sea Lion gallery on the Spit which has very nice (and very expensive) stuff is one of the larger and it isn't as big as my living room (844 sq ft).

You have to negotiate the Spit to get to both departure points for Halibut Cove and your wildlife cruise. One leaves from the marina, the other from the dock behind the fish processing plant.

Do what you want-it is your vacation. I'm done trying to convince you NOT to get the RV.

Believe me, I'm convinced to not get the RV. But I'm negotiating with my husband. Nonstop. It's a marriage, I have to compromise.

I keep reading all this stuff about Homer being the art capital of Alaska. All this stuff about artists, artisans, galleries, etc. No? Are we going to be disappointed?

When the fishing is 'up' in Homer, that's what people go and do. It becomes a fine madness. I won't pay to be down there to have the experience.

You can do well over $2,500 of damage to an RV when trying to park one. I strongly advise people to take photos of their rental RV at the time of picking it up, both inside and out as well as photos of all the included gear, appliances, dishes etc.

When you check a rented RV back it, the process takes a long time as every item and every inch is checked, verified and noted on an inventory for that unit.

Traveling in an RV is to have freedom of choice and use of one's time. To be in a crowded RV park on a major holiday with significant partying, drinking and noise going on all around your unit is not my idea of a good time. You will be very close to your neighbors and will share in more of sights, sounds and smells than you would ever think of doing at home.

greatam has a luxury RV beyond what the majority of people will ever own or rent and when she says she doesn't use it on a major holiday weekend in Homer, she is making her point clear.

and I haven't even bothered to figure the cost of gas to get to Homer from Anchorage and back. A total of 730 miles.

When the fishing is 'up' in Homer, that's what people go and do. It becomes a fine madness. I won't pay to be down there to have the experience.

You can do well over $2,500 of damage to an RV when trying to park one. I strongly advise people to take photos of their rental RV at the time of picking it up, both inside and out as well as photos of all the included gear, appliances, dishes etc.

When you check a rented RV back it, the process takes a long time as every item and every inch is checked, verified and noted on an inventory for that unit.

Traveling in an RV is to have freedom of choice and use of one's time. To be in a crowded RV park on a major holiday with significant partying, drinking and noise going on all around your unit is not my idea of a good time. You will be very close to your neighbors and will share in more of sights, sounds and smells than you would ever think of doing at home.

greatam has a luxury RV beyond what the majority of people will ever own or rent and when she says she doesn't use it on a major holiday weekend in Homer, she is making her point clear.

and I haven't even bothered to figure the cost of gas to get to Homer from Anchorage and back. A total of 730 miles.

My best friend's parents are huge RV people. She is trying to convince my husband that the RV will not work for us in Alaska next summer. I think she has finally convinced him. Every time I think I've convinced him, he comes up with a new idea (bikes, taxis, etc.).

Although you may not have convinced the OP, you have given me lots to think about and I am sure others will benefit from the valuable information you posted.

We are pop-up campers. Just got back from 5 nights with 4 adults and three children in a pop-up. No running water on the site, but we did have electricity. We had a grand time.

With all of our camping experiences, we wanted to rent a small RV in 2008, but found it too costly. After reading your explanations, I am not so sure we would do well in an RV touring around AK. You have given us much to think about. I had thought that someday we would try to do a land trip in AK with an RV. Now, I am not so sure. If you are still reading this thread, would it be difficult to find parking for a 22 foot RV? (that is the smallest size I found back in 2008). We thought 22 foot might not be too bad, but perhaps I am misinformed.

Although you may not have convinced the OP, you have given me lots to think about and I am sure others will benefit from the valuable information you posted.

We are pop-up campers. Just got back from 5 nights with 4 adults and three children in a pop-up. No running water on the site, but we did have electricity. We had a grand time.

With all of our camping experiences, we wanted to rent a small RV in 2008, but found it too costly. After reading your explanations, I am not so sure we would do well in an RV touring around AK. You have given us much to think about. I had thought that someday we would try to do a land trip in AK with an RV. Now, I am not so sure. If you are still reading this thread, would it be difficult to find parking for a 22 foot RV? (that is the smallest size I found back in 2008). We thought 22 foot might not be too bad, but perhaps I am misinformed.

You have other options for parking a 22 feet RV in Alaska especially if you plan to arrive in Alaska either before or after peak season. As you are a successful pop-up lifestyle person/family, Alaska will have many things for you to do especially if you are willing to step off the beaten path.

If you study a copy of the MILEPOST you will find many ideas and suggestions (a library copy or used copy is OK at this point in your planning).

One of my joys in Alaska is to be ALONE. A contrast to my normal working life. Alone or with a few family members suits me fine. Being in Homer on a 4th of July mega-weekend.....not.

I keep reading all this stuff about Homer being the art capital of Alaska. All this stuff about artists, artisans, galleries, etc. No? Are we going to be disappointed?

Where are you reading "all this stuff about Homer being the art capital of Alaska?" There are many more artists, artisans and galleries in Anchorage or Fairbanks than Homer. Yes, I think you are going to be disappointed. People visit the Kenai to go fishing. Homer is a beautiful place, and I love the community, but the vast majority of visitors are there to go fishing.

Where are you reading "all this stuff about Homer being the art capital of Alaska?" There are many more artists, artisans and galleries in Anchorage or Fairbanks than Homer. Yes, I think you are going to be disappointed. People visit the Kenai to go fishing. Homer is a beautiful place, and I love the community, but the vast majority of visitors are there to go fishing.

Yes, absolutely true!

I am also having trouble with the reference to 'downtown' Homer. At best Homer is a village, a small town. The resident population is a bit over 5,000 give or take.

Believe me, I'm convinced to not get the RV. But I'm negotiating with my husband. Nonstop. It's a marriage, I have to compromise.

Here is a look at the Homer 2013 Visitors Guide. Do you see ANYTHING about art? NOPE-the is NOT the primary focus in Homer.

http://homeralaska.com/

While Homer may be the art capital of Alaska, I think you may definitely have the wrong idea. There are not rooms and rooms full of paintings/sculpture/etchings. There are SMALL places which have paintings, sculpture, a lot of native Alaska carvings, hand crafted baskets, etc. etc. MOST are downtown Homer.

LOTS of people in Alaska create crafts and paint. Got to do something over the long winters. Do they sell in a "gallery" as I think of a gallery (NY/LA, even KC or Des Moines)? NO, they sell their stuff in small shops which generally have everything from paintings to carved ivory to junk from China (got to pay the bills somehow and most people are NOT spending $1000 and up for something on vacation in Alaska but they will buy the cheaper junk). This place probably has the widest selection in Homer and is the largest but much more a store than what I would call a gallery.

http://www.ptarmiganarts.com/

Sea Lion on the Spit is much more elegant but they also make money not only on their crafts and paintings but on their apartments to keep the doors open. If all the artists in Homer totally depended on the tourist trade to survive and only sold their own stuff, the stores/galleries would close in a hot second. Homer is a FISHING town with a left over 1960's California attitude. Art is definitely secondary even though some would like to make it something more than it truly is.

You will be perfectly fine. The OP wants to set up base in one place, go to fancy restaurants, museums, art galleries, etc. etc. Hooking and unhooking just for a few hours transport can be a major pain, as I am sure you know. Riding bikes is OK on the Homer Spit but NOT on a major holiday week. You are asking to get run over by a drunk fisherman.

From reading all your posts, you would be perfectly content pulling over in a wide spot in the road, enjoying the gorgeous scenery, cooking outside and sitting around the campfire just bs'ing the evening away. The OP will not. You would be comfortable in an RV park where everyone is partying and socializing with each other. Two VERY different perspectives on the RV experience. YOU like camping. The OP has never done it and her husband has a lot of illusions about what it is. Her husband didn't even want to rent chairs. Where are you going to sit at night? Not even fun to think about-stuck inside isn't my idea of an Alaska vacation.

You would have a route picked out and want to enjoy the OUTDOORS. This is the big difference. You most likely will NOT be put into a situation where you need to park in a restaurant parking lot or in front of a small store. You need to go to the grocery store (large parking lot) and from then on, your enjoyment is the scenery, the outdoors and the RV lifestyle. You will be FINE. Enjoy!!!

The insurance is included. There is an option to add a fee that would waive the deductable. But we're not taking that. The deductable is only $2500 and that's only in the unlikely event that we had a mishap.

Foolish!!!

Windshield get broken EVERY day in Alaska. Just drive into the lookout above Homer and you will kick up rocks. Be behind the first person pulling into the lookout and you could have a broken windshield.

Tree limbs are another thing people never think about if they are not used to driving a tall vehicle. You can rip the AC or antennas/satellite dish off an RV very easily.

Overhangs on buildings are another thing. There is a great picture hanging in Mickey D's in Homer. Someone tried to take their rented RV through the drive up. Ripped off the AC, ripped down the overhang from the drive up. Did considerable damage to the RV and left Mickey D's without a covered drive through for about 6 weeks.

Just too much stuff can happen. If you happen to have an extra $2500 laying around, you can send it my way. Otherwise, get the insurance.

Here is a look at the Homer 2013 Visitors Guide. Do you see ANYTHING about art? NOPE-the is NOT the primary focus in Homer.

http://homeralaska.com/

While Homer may be the art capital of Alaska, I think you may definitely have the wrong idea. There are not rooms and rooms full of paintings/sculpture/etchings. There are SMALL places which have paintings, sculpture, a lot of native Alaska carvings, hand crafted baskets, etc. etc. MOST are downtown Homer.

LOTS of people in Alaska create crafts and paint. Got to do something over the long winters. Do they sell in a "gallery" as I think of a gallery (NY/LA, even KC or Des Moines)? NO, they sell their stuff in small shops which generally have everything from paintings to carved ivory to junk from China (got to pay the bills somehow and most people are NOT spending $1000 and up for something on vacation in Alaska but they will buy the cheaper junk). This place probably has the widest selection in Homer and is the largest but much more a store than what I would call a gallery.

http://www.ptarmiganarts.com/

Sea Lion on the Spit is much more elegant but they also make money not only on their crafts and paintings but on their apartments to keep the doors open. If all the artists in Homer totally depended on the tourist trade to survive and only sold their own stuff, the stores/galleries would close in a hot second. Homer is a FISHING town with a left over 1960's California attitude. Art is definitely secondary even though some would like to make it something more than it truly is.

Yes, absolutely true!

I am also having trouble with the reference to 'downtown' Homer. At best Homer is a village, a small town. The resident population is a bit over 5,000 give or take.

There is definitely now a "downtown" and the Spit way of thinking in Homer.

They have tried to make "downtown" all artsy craftsy and upscale. The Spit is just the Spit-hasn't changed much in 20 years. Still the gritty, funky, fishing village atmosphere sprinkled in with "new and upscale".

One of our closest friends road his motorcycle to Homer in 1968 from California. He spent his time sleeping on the beach, carousing, working on a couple of fishing boats and drinking at the Salty Dog. We took him back to Alaska with us in 2006. He was utterly amazed at all the "upscale" stuff on the Spit. He said it was better in 1968.

Homer still has that late 60's hippie atmosphere. I sure hope they don't change it too much more or I won't like it much. Homer Alaska and Phnom Penh Cambodia-my two favorite places in the world. Such disparity but so much alike underneath.

OT-It isn't THAT luxurious-just BIG. The travel trailer is 36' with two slides. AND we did a Bret Michaels Rock My RV before that was even a cool thing to do.

Ripped out the entire interior when we got it (it had been pretty well trashed as it was used for a movie trailer and was pretty nasty-we got it for a heck of a price).

Put in new carpet and got rid of all the "RV stuff" (the built in table that converts to a bed, a lot of the built ins, etc. etc.). I found some interior design guy in LA on Craigslist that was selling a bunch of Scandanavian furniture from a model home for really cheap. So now I have a queen sized, very Swedish looking futon in the living room, a dining table my Mom had on her screened porch (it is very small in the middle with two fold up ends), two Alvar Aalto repro chairs from the interior design guy, the TV stand is my Mom's old nightstand. New Queen sized mattress in the bedroom. GREAT RV.

The motor home-I don't like it much. BUT it is good that we could make the trip to our farm in Missouri with all our dogs in tow without staying in motels which was a GIANT hassle with the dogs. Motor home is just too small without those slideouts. They REALLY make the difference. Neither RV is in Alaska. The travel trailer is parked in a permanent spot on the banks of the Colorado River and the motor home is in the front yard, just waiting for the next monsoon storm to hit and the power to go out for 2-3 days.

Archived