Advance warning - Vancouver Transit ticket system is changing at the end of the year

I see a lot of talk on this forum regarding using Vancouver transit tickets, so thought it might be worth giving a warning that our ticket system is changing at the end of this year. We are changing to a pre-paid transit card system called Compass, which as I understand it, will be similar to the Oyster card system used on London transit - i.e., a "tap-in, tap-out" system.

Here's a link to the details on our local transit website:

http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/Compass-Card/Compass-Cards-and-Products.aspx

The fare gates have been installed in all skytrain stations and the equipment is now starting to appear on the local buses too. (I have been seeing some tourists looking somewhat puzzled at the permanently open faregates in the stations! Worry not - they are not active yet!)

Translink (our transit operator) had posters up saying that the new system would start in the Fall, but talking to my friendly local bus driver, he said it is more likely to be at the end of the year or the beginning of next.

I am not affiliated with Translink in any way, and don't know how or where the new tickets will be introduced. However I know that many travellers (myself included) like to plan all the details in advance, so thought it might be worth just giving a "head's up" for next year's cruise planners!

As a fellow Vancouverite but infrequent transit user - living downtown does have some advantages - thanks for the reminder that the Compass system is coming - I beleive New Orleans has a similiar system as I saw regulars tapping a scanner coming and going.

Cheers

Dennis

Archived