Colosseum Tickets/Tours

BlackhawksCup2013

We visited Colosseum last week and I had booked and printed at home 2 adult tickets and then just went to group booking area for free tickets for my sons (13 and 15), there was a member of staff at the end of line handing them out so we didn't queue at all.

Free tickets were originally just for EU member states but I understand this has been extended to all minors, note member of staff didn't check ID for boys so didn't know whether we were British or not.

We visited Colosseum last week and I had booked and printed at home 2 adult tickets and then just went to group booking area for free tickets for my sons (13 and 15), there was a member of staff at the end of line handing them out so we didn't queue at all.

Free tickets were originally just for EU member states but I understand this has been extended to all minors, note member of staff didn't check ID for boys so didn't know whether we were British or not.

This is exactly what I plan to do:

Already printed at home 2 adult tickets, and plan to grab the free tickets for the 2 kids (7 & 4) in the Group Tickets.

Will be back in 3 weeks to let you know if it worked for me as well. :)

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update after returning from our cruise:

When we arrived to the Colosseum with the 2 adults tickets we printed at home, there was a huge line, and we didn't know where the "group tickets" is located.

We went directly to the entrance, where we scanned the 2 adult tickets, and the guy there simply used his own card to let our kids (ages 7 and 4) in.

He didn't ask for any form of ID.

• 1 month later...
Just a quick update after returning from our cruise:

When we arrived to the Colosseum with the 2 adults tickets we printed at home, there was a huge line, and we didn't know where the "group tickets" is located.

We went directly to the entrance, where we scanned the 2 adult tickets, and the guy there simply used his own card to let our kids (ages 7 and 4) in.

He didn't ask for any form of ID.

Any more stories/experiences about going with kids? How hard is it to obtain/find the free kids' tickets after arriving at the Colosseum?

Is it still a good strategy just to buy the adult tickets in advance and hope to get the free kids' tickets after arrival?

• 7 months later...

This has been very helpful to read as I ave been confused about the admission fees for our kids (5&9). We plan on the Colosseum so seeing that all kids are free now no matter the nationality is a bonus. Bit of a sidebar- reading over the replies - am I to also assume this is all museums (except the Vatican) in Italy? What about Pompeii?

I ave been confused about the admission fees for our kids (5&9). We plan on the Colosseum so seeing that all kids are free now no matter the nationality is a bonus. Bit of a sidebar- reading over the replies - am I to also assume this is all museums (except the Vatican) in Italy? What about Pompeii?
Ii would not count on this being enforced universally. The Pompei web site still states that free entrance for those under 18 and over 65 is limited to citizens of the European Union with proof of residency.

http://pompeiisites.org/Sezione.jsp?idSezione=1409 (see bottom of page)

Ok thanks. We are booked with Rome In Limo that day and I have to check if they help acquire tickets for that tour. I know it said we have to get our own ones for the Colosseum (when we are in Rome) but there is no mention if we are required to get separate tickets for Pompeii or not. Just trying to budget in advance.

Edited by CGYCruisingFamily

Hi All,

Hope you don't mind if I hijack this thread with a quick question?

If I prebook our tickets, how much time should I allow to see the Colesseum? Happy to do it relatively whistle-stop as we want to hightail it over to the Sistine Chapel, although I believe the Forum is also included in the ticket, so should I allow some time for this too?

Thanks!

Edited by stitchcreek

If I prebook our tickets, how much time should I allow to see the Colesseum? Happy to do it relatively whistle-stop as we want to hightail it over to the Sistine Chapel, although I believe the Forum is also included in the ticket, so should I allow some time for this too?
You can complete the audio tour of the Colosseum in just under an hour, so if you're just walking around on your own you can probably hit all of the areas open to the public in 30 minutes. Afterwards you can walk from one end of the Forum to the other in less than 15 minutes, if walking through and taking a quick look is sufficient.

Just for further information, any EU citizen who is a holder of a disabled blue badge gets free entry for them and a carer to many things in Rome. My daughter and I visited Rome in January and used this to visit the Colosseum and the Vatican museum. We didn't have to queue which was a godsend for me as I have MS and can't stand for too long. We were also able to skip the queue for St Peters as well.

Just remember to take your blue badge!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi all

I ordered my tickets yesterday and never received my email. Does anyone know if it comes immediately or if it takes a day or two. I have my copy with my booking code, and it is appearing on my visa. I ordered the printing of tickets at home option.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx

• 2 weeks later...
Just for further information, any EU citizen who is a holder of a disabled blue badge gets free entry for them and a carer to many things in Rome. My daughter and I visited Rome in January and used this to visit the Colosseum and the Vatican museum. We didn't have to queue which was a godsend for me as I have MS and can't stand for too long. We were also able to skip the queue for St Peters as well.

Just remember to take your blue badge!

Does anyone know if the free admission for people with disabilities applied to just EU citizens or is it universal? We are in Canada and my mom is disabled but we cant find a clear answer. We know they lifted the EU qualification for children under 12 (?) and our kids are free but my mom was questioning her access.

We might just buy tickets to be sure but with the cost of this trip, the odd nice surprise for free admission would be nice.

Visitors with physical disabilities have priority and can enter without waiting in line. Free admission is granted to disabled visitors on presentation of documents testifying disability (over 74%) and accompanying persons. (Free tickets for disabled visitors and for accompanying persons may not be booked online. The free tickets are issued at the "Special Permits'" desk or "Reception", situated in the entrance hall to the Vatican Museums).

This is the information I've just copied from the Vatican Museum website. I guess a letter from a doctor might do or if you have any proof of disability. The Vatican Museum has loads of steps though. The Colosseum has a lift to take you up to the higher level. At St Peters we weren't sure where to go so I just found one of the security people and showed him my blue disabled badge and he waved us through. It all certainly made a big difference to our trip. Rome is a lovely city!