Which balcony is better for Alaska, corner aft or regular side?

allisons

Allisons,

Just some extra info for you to make up your mind on your future booking. We had fabulous weather on our cruise last week. We got closer to Hubbard on this cruise than the Captain has made it in the 10 sailings before. He told me he had previously sailed in 10 times and out of that 4 he couldn't make it in. Sorry you must have been one of the four.

I love 9256 and LOVED Paulo as our steward. Sailing in May you have shorter days than August. The sun probably wasn't an issue in May. We were fortunate to have sunny days for most of this past cruise, thus being out on the balcony with shorter overhang than some other afts, made it really bright. If we had really hard rain the cover on 9256 would only help where the loungers sit. Not alot of overhang on the right side of the balcony. If you choose a middle aft on deck 10 or deck 9 you would have more overhang if it was raining and from the sun since those balconies are deeper.

We had some heavy fog come in so I was glad we went up to the helipad for some pictures. If I had waited for the ship to turn I would have missed some shots. Sailing away from Hubbard the fog slipped in so fast I wish I had taken a video. I was able to get some pictures later that we only because I had the aft cabin.

We only parked in the shade in Skagway. Our cruise was a Northern sailing from Vancouver to Seward. Hope this makes sense.....still on jet lag from being up over 26 hours.

We stayed two extra days in Seward. We saw tons of things by just doing things on our own.

Allisons,

Just some extra info for you to make up your mind on your future booking. We had fabulous weather on our cruise last week. We got closer to Hubbard on this cruise than the Captain has made it in the 10 sailings before. He told me he had previously sailed in 10 times and out of that 4 he couldn't make it in. Sorry you must have been one of the four.

I love 9256 and LOVED Paulo as our steward. Sailing in May you have shorter days than August. The sun probably wasn't an issue in May. We were fortunate to have sunny days for most of this past cruise, thus being out on the balcony with shorter overhang than some other afts, made it really bright. If we had really hard rain the cover on 9256 would only help where the loungers sit. Not alot of overhang on the right side of the balcony. If you choose a middle aft on deck 10 or deck 9 you would have more overhang if it was raining and from the sun since those balconies are deeper.

We had some heavy fog come in so I was glad we went up to the helipad for some pictures. If I had waited for the ship to turn I would have missed some shots. Sailing away from Hubbard the fog slipped in so fast I wish I had taken a video. I was able to get some pictures later that we only because I had the aft cabin.

We only parked in the shade in Skagway. Our cruise was a Northern sailing from Vancouver to Seward. Hope this makes sense.....still on jet lag from being up over 26 hours.

We stayed two extra days in Seward. We saw tons of things by just doing things on our own.

Thank you. We've already made our decision. We're going on the Island Princess. So there are no aft cabins.

• 4 months later...

I believe you all have confirmed my idea.....we had a mid ship port side suite, and got the chance to move to the 2 bedroom suite 9656 on Radiance (2 adults and 2 teenage girls). In my mind this will make things much easier throughout the cruise -and the balcony is HUGE! But my husband is worried that because this is aft STARBOARD corner - we will be giving up a lot of our view. We won't be able to see anything on shore until we are far past it - adding a lot of distance to what we are looking at.

Are you really close enough to the shore that the distance will make a difference?

Allisons,

So your situation is like ours - you had the port side corner aft on a northbound cruise - we are looking at the starboard side corner aft on a southbound cruise. Can you see anything to the side, or do you need to wait until it is pretty far past you?