Bucaneer vs Stingray Sailing

HoneyBubba

Trying to figure out which way to go for a catamaran tour to the stingrays.

Stingray

• one snorkeling stop
  • 3.5 hours
  • 25 max people
  • Costs $55

Bucaneer

• 2 snorkeling stops
  • 4 hours
  • Costs $39

Do they both open their sails for the trip back? That would be another factor for me.

They both have great reviews, but is there something I am missing or just does it come down to my perference.

We were on Stingray Sailing in June. We had a fabulous time and I would book with them again. Very nice company and we never felt rushed. Just wanted to let you know that I'm not sure there is a guarantee that you will get to "sail". Our trip involved no winds at all so we were unable to raise the sails. I'm not sure that I noticed any boats actually sailing that day.

• 2 months later...

Just got back and we had booked with Stingray Sailing. We were 2nd ship in port and got in early. Chip had just taken a group out from 1st ship. We had the option to wait for the catamaran or chip had arranged we could go with Eco tours and Kevin. They frequently work together. We got a cheaper price, some beer and an extra stop thrown in. It was perfect! The Eco Tours boat is very fast. We actually passed the Moby dick boat out there. There were only 6 os us onboard which made it like a private cruise. We got to stingray city and it was packed with several boats that were so full of people I didn't see enough seats. Kevin asked if we would like to snorkel first to let the crowds die down. We headed to the reef and chip and the catamaran were there. Chip swam over to greet each of us and make sure everything was ok. We had plenty of time to snorkel. While we were at the reef a Moby Dick boat came over full and people flooded out. A short time later they blew a conch for everyone to get back on board. We were still enjoying the reef.

Then we headed over to the stingrays. There were still a few boats left but not as many. As soon as Kevin got out we started feeding them and they swarmed around us like cats. They are extremely docile. We stayed there awhile and then we were asked if we rather go snorkel more or head to Starfish beach. We opted for starfish. Got there and not only was there star fish but Stinky the dolphin. We had some fruit and watched Stinky. He is wild, very lonely but can get too aggressive with humans in water. One of our group went down an got some underwater photos of stinky! but he was careful to watch his distance.

After some fruit and beer we returned to dock. Chip was waiting nod dropped us at the port. It was a great day, the best of our trip. I'm already trying to plan another cruise with a cayman stop just so we can go out with them again.

We went out with Stingray Sailing last year. Loved it and Chip so much we are booked again this year. Nothing was rushed, small group and Chip was always aware of us and made everyone comfortable. I personally don't swim, Chip knew this and made sure to find a place at stingray city that was shallow enough that I was comfortable the entire time.

another happy customer with Stingray Sailing that will be a return customer on our next visit on the Magic in February -- Chip runs a good boat, its small and intimate and low key. Don't know how large the Buccaneer boat is but on our trip we saw a lot of craft much larger and more crowded than ours (we were 8 people on a catamaran with sail).

We loved the Buccaneer and we loved the price:-) . You book the Buccaneer on http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/Stingray_City_Buccaneer_Catamaran.htm .It had 2 snorkeling + stingray city, so 3 stops. We had around 20-25 people on our trip but I think they take more. We had so much space, the catamaran is massive. You can't go wrong with this trip and with a price of $39 for adults and only $27 for kids, you can't beat it.

Archived