Dining attire for teens

haredi

We are leaving tomorrow for our 12 night Meditteranean Cruise, and since I have not been on a DCL cruise in a couple of years, I just want to confirm what Tweens and teens are wearing to dinner. I have two pairs of slacks and one pair of Nike track pants packed, as well as several cargo shorts for each boy. Are boys wearing only pants in the dining rooms? Or are some wearing nice shorts as well? Coming from Florida, we have very few pairs of slacks so I would actually need to do some more shopping today if I need more pants for them!

We are leaving tomorrow for our 12 night Meditteranean Cruise, and since I have not been on a DCL cruise in a couple of years, I just want to confirm what Tweens and teens are wearing to dinner. I have two pairs of slacks and one pair of Nike track pants packed, as well as several cargo shorts for each boy. Are boys wearing only pants in the dining rooms? Or are some wearing nice shorts as well? Coming from Florida, we have very few pairs of slacks so I would actually need to do some more shopping today if I need more pants for them!

With teen boys you should be OK most nights bar formal night, then full pants/trousers should be worn, boys do not have to wear a suite if a teenager but nice clothes not jeans on formal night.

As to what others are wearing, pretty much anything and everything!

But DCL do still request:

no shorts, swimwear or tank tops at dinner.

Have a great cruise!

ex techie

You may not see this before you go, but we did the Greece and Venice itineraries in the Med this summer and my teen boys wore cargo shorts to the main dining room every night we went except one. We had main dining and several nights we came in right in time for dinner. On sea days, they usually just ate at Plutos so didn't go to the dining room except the last night which is the one night I required them to change for dinner. We did not go to the dining room on formal night or semi-formal night, but on cruise casual nights that were also port days, they wore shorts. No problems, no looks, nothing. Dining on the Med itineraries is different than the Caribbean in our experience. (and also different than in Alaska). I think it has to do with the cruise being port intensive.

And FWIW, there were plenty of men in addition to teens wearing shorts in the dining rooms.

Enjoy the new menus!

Disney requests no shorts be worn in the main dining rooms. They don't enforce it, but we comply.
:)

As I and cheer25mom have said nzdisneymom, DCL do request no shorts in the dining room.

Your choice to adhere to or ignore that request, and nothing will be said, but...

ex techie

:)

As I and cheer25mom have said nzdisneymom, DCL do request no shorts in the dining room.

Your choice to adhere to or ignore that request, and nothing will be said, but...

ex techie

That is correct. However, the OP asked what was being worn, and since she is going on an itinerary we recently completed, I shared our experience, not just what our family did, but what other guests wore as well. Again, I think it is because we had main dining and port intense days that returned us to the ship at or just past dinner time... a disadvantage to main dining for people who want to change for dinner, but a matter of practicality for many families. That said, we didn't come in with tank tops, flip flops, beachwear, ratty t-shirts, and once families are seated, the legs are covered by the table ;) And as I mentioned, sea days were different than port days, not only in my teenagers presence in (or really absence from) the MDRs, that seemed to be the case for other families as well. I think the OP will be fine with two pairs of pants for her teen boys.

That is correct. However, the OP asked what was being worn, and since she is going on an itinerary we recently completed, I shared our experience, not just what our family did, but what other guests wore as well. Again, I think it is because we had main dining and port intense days that returned us to the ship at or just past dinner time... a disadvantage to main dining for people who want to change for dinner, but a matter of practicality for many families. That said, we didn't come in with tank tops, flip flops, beachwear, ratty t-shirts, and once families are seated, the legs are covered by the table ;) And as I mentioned, sea days were different than port days, not only in my teenagers presence in (or really absence from) the MDRs, that seemed to be the case for other families as well. I think the OP will be fine with two pairs of pants for her teen boys.

As I said in my first reply, anything and everything!

But DCL request no shorts, swimwear or tank tops at dinner.

I did reinforce the fact that DCL request NO SHORTS in the dinning room in a later post.

Practicality wise, if your going to dinner in the same clothes you wore on an excursion, you probably have to drop off those souvenirs/bags ect, so how much time does it take to drop your shorts and put on a pair of pant's?

2-3 minutes?

If your not going to shower before going to dinner after being so hot and sweaty that shorts are needed why is it an issue to do what is asked?

Confused! :eek:

ex techie

When we arrived back on ship at or past dinner starting time, we did not go to our cabin first, but instead washed hands and faces in the restroom nearest our assigned MDR if we were dining there and took our day bag with us. We noticed that many other families did the same. At least that was on our rotation for both the Greece and Venice itineraries. In fact, when many of the DCL excursions arrived late in Villefranche, DCL CMs greeted guests at the tendering pier to let them know they should go straight to dinner if they had main dining.

FWIW, I did not wear shorts to the dining room but had Capri length pants on port days. My teen boys wore cargo shorts that were actually at their knees and suitable for entry into churches we visited. But still shorts.

When the question is what is DCL's policy regarding dress for dining, my answer is the same as ex_techie... They request no shorts, etc. When asked about experience or what is actually occurring on board for specific itineraries that we have personally sailed (such as the one the OP is doing), I will share what our family did as well as what we observed.

Well at least we agree that you knew DCL requested NO SHORTS, and you chose to disregard it. You could have gone to your stateroom to change, wash up just as easily.

If you were late for your dining time, unless your DCL tour was delayed, that is totally your fault for not allowing enough time between the tour ending and being back aboard for your chosen dinner time.

I'm surprised you would select an early dining time since you have flown half way round the world, so your time is all messed up anyway, why not free up early dining for guests with small kids, not your teens who didn't eat at the MDR's most of the time?

As for the CM's directing late arriving guests straight to the MDR's in the same clothes they have been in all day in the sun and heat, that is their option and at the discretion of the company to bend the rules.

Not yours.

ex techie

Well at least we agree that you knew DCL requested NO SHORTS, and you chose to disregard it. You could have gone to your stateroom to change, wash up just as easily.

If you were late for your dining time, unless your DCL tour was delayed, that is totally your fault for not allowing enough time between the tour ending and being back aboard for your chosen dinner time.

I'm surprised you would select an early dining time since you have flown half way round the world, so your time is all messed up anyway, why not free up early dining for guests with small kids, not your teens who didn't eat at the MDR's most of the time?

As for the CM's directing late arriving guests straight to the MDR's in the same clothes they have been in all day in the sun and heat, that is their option and at the discretion of the company to bend the rules.

Not yours.

ex techie

Firstly, flying half way around the world doesn't have any bearing at all in any way whatsoever.

We fly across various time zones and as soon as we get to our destination we go on local time, as soon as the sun is up we will be on local time.

We are off to Vancouver in a week ,that's eight hours difference and on the Wonder we will get to nine hours difference. But we will be on early and eat breakfast and lunch at the normal times as if it was home.

I have been on DCL cruises where they have directed late tours direct to MDRs, that is not the cruisers fault.

Something to remember, the cruisers *pay* all of the CM and staff wages by our cruise fares. In my industry we never forget who pays us and give them 100% service.

People should aim to get to dinner on time, I was on the Fantasy for two Back to Back cruises, and same serving team on both.

First week great, well organised, and our food served promptly and hot, second week as some people came in late it messed up the whole dinner.

People can book whatever dinner serving is available first come first served, and not feel obliged to move their preference for others, its down to when you book and availability.

Disney normally is all about customer service and bar Palo and Remy I have never seen anyone approached on what they are wearing, now I follow the guidelines on dressing and that's what they are guidelines, I have seen a person in a string vest at dinner, well if he wants that's up to him to have people look at him, that is his choice.

I have been on DCL for ten log cruises, and seen a lot and enjoyed a lot and paid a lot.

Being honest, if you were a CM on my ship and said the things you posted there, I would stop cruising DCL.

[sNIP]

Something to remember, the cruisers *pay* all of the CM and staff wages by our cruise fares. In my industry we never forget who pays us and give them 100% service. [sNIP]

Agreed

[sNIP] People should aim to get to dinner on time, I was on the Fantasy for two Back to Back cruises, and same serving team on both.

First week great, well organised, and our food served promptly and hot, second week as some people came in late it messed up the whole dinner [sNIP]

So not ensuring your tour returns in time for your selected dining time is not OKAY then as I said?

[sNIP]People can book whatever dinner serving is available first come first served, and not feel obliged to move their preference for others, its down to when you book and availability. [sNIP]

Agreed, but if your flying such a long way, and your body clock will be out anyways, wouldn't it be courteous to others with small children that cannot adapt so easily to time differences to not use the early dining times? It's only 3 hours or so?

[sNIP] Disney normally is all about customer service and bar Palo and Remy I have never seen anyone approached on what they are wearing, now I follow the guidelines on dressing and that's what they are guidelines, I have seen a person in a string vest at dinner, well if he wants that's up to him to have people look at him, that is his choice.[sNIP]

You say guidelines, I say request. No point discussing this one!

[sNIP]I have been on DCL for ten log cruises, and seen a lot and enjoyed a lot and paid a lot.[sNIP]

To be honest, it you had just said "I have been on DCL for ten log cruises, and seen a lot and enjoyed a lot" mentioned paying a lot I would have sympathised with your post a lot more. But you did.

You paid a lot, you got a lot for your buck. End of.

No entitlement to ignore what was requested of you, choose which rules either. Because you paid a lot.

[sNIP] Being honest, if you were a CM on my ship and said the things you posted there, I would stop cruising DCL.[sNIP]

I'm not anymore, so your safe.

It doesn't mean other CM's on there aren't thinking or judging you for what I am saying now though does it?

ex techie

ex techie

I think the ''majority'' of DCL CMs are trained to a very high standard and they provided excellent customer service in front line roles.

Some like any organisation will not come up to those high standards and will have to leave at some point.

If you read my answers and post you will see that I follow the guidelines all of the time, But DCL employees should know and remember who actually is on vacation and all the cruisers have paid a lot of money to be there and some of that money will bring income to those employees.

It doesn't matter at all if people have flown half way around the world, their body clocks re set.

On vacation, and in ports of call you might have an unavoidable delay getting to lunch, hopefully not delayed beyond the ship leaving. But a major part of looking after peoples vacation time is to have contingency plans, and accommodate last minute changes and ensure the person paying, actually is provided with 100% service so they come back and do not spend their $$$$ with another cruise line.

Unfortunately the 'weakest link' in staffing is often the yardstick the majority are judged on.

PS

Can I ask you, - You mentioned the advanced plans for the Magic and Wonder to become 'floating hotels' a few months back, with the release of the extensive re fit plans for the Magic, (Which I mentioned on this forum in August 2012), can you update me on when the Magic and Wonder will become floating hotels as you suggested?

[sNIP] If you read my answers and post you will see that I follow the guidelines all of the time, But DCL employees should know and remember who actually is on vacation and all the cruisers have paid a lot of money to be there and some of that money will bring income to those employees. [sNIP]

And if you read your posts you do adhere to DCL's requests but also advocate ignoring them for convenience.

As for employee's getting income from ignoring the companies requests, that will happen every time a tip is available within reason.

[sNIP] It doesn't matter at all if people have flown half way around the world, their body clocks re set. [sNIP]

Really? Fly from OZ to the USA and the next morning your on the same time?

[sNIP]On vacation, and in ports of call you might have an unavoidable delay getting to lunch, hopefully not delayed beyond the ship leaving. But a major part of looking after peoples vacation time is to have contingency plans, and accommodate last minute changes and ensure the person paying, actually is provided with 100% service so they come back and do not spend their $$$$ with another cruise line.[sNIP]

And I have never disputed unavoidable delays.

Or that the CM's should give below par service to those that are late.

As YOU said "People should aim to get to dinner on time" and "second week as some people came in late it messed up the whole dinner."

As you state people late into the dining room can mess up the whole dinner service for the rest of the people dining with them and the whole schedule if on early dining.

[sNIP]Unfortunately the 'weakest link' in staffing is often the yardstick the majority are judged on.[sNIP]

And those that fall short are fired, I resigned FYI due to pay.

PS

Can I ask you, - You mentioned the advanced plans for the Magic and Wonder to become 'floating hotels' a few months back, with the release of the extensive re fit plans for the Magic, (Which I mentioned on this forum in August 2012), can you update me on when the Magic and Wonder will become floating hotels as you suggested?

Yes you may, The plans are still in place for the Magic to be sent to Asia. I am pretty sure I said guessed that the Wonder would end up on the west coast.

Those dates are being pushed back as of now, but will happen in a couple of years with the new ships AFAIK[/color][/color][/color]

ex techie

And if you read your posts you do adhere to DCL's requests but also advocate ignoring them for convenience.

Not true, never posted that, you misread it. I asked you to re read my posts.

As for employee's getting income from ignoring the companies requests, that will happen every time a tip is available within reason.

[sNIP] It doesn't matter at all if people have flown half way around the world, their body clocks re set. [sNIP]

Really? Fly from OZ to the USA and the next morning your on the same time?

Again you have now changed the context and made a far wider exaggerated example to try to back up your original post which was incorrect. You mentioned people not getting to dinner on time from being in different time zones. Who fly's Australia to say Port Canaveral and gets on the ship the same morning? I would suspect everyone has a day or two to acclimatize to local time. Peoples body clocks say flying West re set quickly, on the plane I change my watch to the destination time and eat and think or sleep to that. Even going East if you go out in sunlight you re set quite quickly. What ever there is NO connection with crossing time zones and going to dinner on ship late.If you look at your original quote it came across rather rude.

[sNIP]On vacation, and in ports of call you might have an unavoidable delay getting to lunch, hopefully not delayed beyond the ship leaving. But a major part of looking after peoples vacation time is to have contingency plans, and accommodate last minute changes and ensure the person paying, actually is provided with 100% service so they come back and do not spend their $$$$ with another cruise line.[sNIP]

And I have never disputed unavoidable delays.

Or that the CM's should give below par service to those that are late.

As YOU said "People should aim to get to dinner on time" and "second week as some people came in late it messed up the whole dinner."

As you state people late into the dining room can mess up the whole dinner service for the rest of the people dining with them and the whole schedule if on early dining.

Great!!!!! You read this part and agree with me!!!

[sNIP]Unfortunately the 'weakest link' in staffing is often the yardstick the majority are judged on.[sNIP]

And those that fall short are fired, I resigned FYI due to pay.

Agree- they should be shouldn't they???????

PS

Yes you may, The plans are still in place for the Magic to be sent to Asia. I am pretty sure I said guessed that the Wonder would end up on the west coast.

Those dates are being pushed back as of now, but will happen in a couple of years with the new ships AFAIK[/color][/color][/color]

Thank you for your response, so the multi million anticipated re fit of the Magic has put these plans back a bit, thank you, all I needed to know. I will not ask more or a definition of a 'bit'.

Archived