Things to do in New Orleans

wrigley80

Fortunately for me I only love 1.5 hours from NOLA but never go as often as I should. Nothimg beats the food and lifestyle of south Louisiana. I'm glad I can always call it home.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

That's like us with Chicago. We live about 1.5 hours from Chicago but we rarely go into the city.

I am going on the Sunshine Dec 1st; and I went on the New Orleans website and they sent me a booklet filled with stuff; and coupons; I also would suggest Acme Oyster House for grilled oysters; that is the first thing I am going to do when I get there; I also want to try Camilla's, I heard a lot about it; I took the paddle boat for an afternoon ride; you also got to try the Aunt Sally's pralenes (sp) near the French market. I will be just getting off the ship and you will be boarding her.

Hopefully you save some of the fun for us....haha.

Do you remember what the website was for the New Orleans site that you went to. I was sent a New Orleans visitors book but never received any coupons and I would love to get some

We took the ghost tour of New Orleans, a walking tour at night that was lots of fun. We also took a Katrina tour, that took you to the areas effected by Katrina. I heartily support all the recommendations for the WWII museum. If you can go to the original Café du Monde in the French Quarter, you should do so. There are always street musicians playing just outside, and it just adds to the atmosphere.

I vote horse carriage trip. Easy to find in front of Jackson square

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Horses aren't really our thing :rolleyes: I have had knee surgeries in the past and if the carriages are anything like the ones in Chicago I would definitely have a hard time getting up in the carriage :o

We took the ghost tour of New Orleans, a walking tour at night that was lots of fun. We also took a Katrina tour, that took you to the areas effected by Katrina. I heartily support all the recommendations for the WWII museum. If you can go to the original Café du Monde in the French Quarter, you should do so. There are always street musicians playing just outside, and it just adds to the atmosphere.

Thanks for the suggestions.....Café Du Monde is definitely on our list. I told a lady on our roll call that I was going to go to the Café Du Monde in Metairie and she told me I was crazy ;) I had to visit the one in the French Quarter

• 3 weeks later...

I read the suggestions, but one thing is missing??? Preservation Hall - for Dixieland Jazz!!! I love New Orleans, I visited twice before the storm and three times since... Always find something I had not seen before... I love the french quarter and have always felt safe there... The food is incredible, and I love it spicy... The Swamp Tours - Airboat rides or Plantation Tours (estate tours - politically correct)... The Trolly cars are not like San Fran, but enjoyable none the less... The reality that is the lower ninth ward...

We are going to Port Canaveral in 2 weeks for our "Dream Cruise" but taking a couple extra days to visit NOLA on the way.. Can't wait

I read the suggestions, but one thing is missing??? Preservation Hall - for Dixieland Jazz!!! I love New Orleans, I visited twice before the storm and three times since... Always find something I had not seen before... I love the french quarter and have always felt safe there... The food is incredible, and I love it spicy... The Swamp Tours - Airboat rides or Plantation Tours (estate tours - politically correct)... The Trolly cars are not like San Fran, but enjoyable none the less... The reality that is the lower ninth ward...

We are going to Port Canaveral in 2 weeks for our "Dream Cruise" but taking a couple extra days to visit NOLA on the way.. Can't wait

Thanks for the suggestions....we are definitely going to ride on the Streetcars even if it is to simply ride from one end of the route to the other

Mothers restaurant has great ham and great food.

Just walking around the city on your own is great.

Thank You.....my dad and I both have mobility issues so we can't do a lot of walking but I'm sure we will still find some things to keep us busy

Just returned from a trip to NOLA - 4 days and still didn't do everything. I saw the double decker tour bus going around, looked like fun. Rode the St. Charles trolley out to the Garden District (and walked around out there, saw LaFayette Cemetery and a lot of different houses) and then took it back into town to canal. Definitely get a po boy somewhere, lots of places. You have to walk down Bourbon Street at least once - nowhere else like it (like the other poster, the Huge Ass Beers sign cracked me up) - if you drink, definitely get a hand grenade! You can find them at any Tropical Isle bar down Bourbon. Beignets are a MUST! If you could work out coming into the French Quarter for lunch, Court of Two Sisters has a jazz brunch - sit in the courtyard, listen to the jazz trio, eat a lot of awesome food. Preservation Hall for jazz is a definite. Two of my friends did the WWII museum and really liked it. Jackson Square and the French Market are really neat to explore, lots of local artists showing off their creations, live music going on (pretty much everywhere you go in the French Quarter).

Enjoy your cruise and your time in Nawlins!!

Just returned from a trip to NOLA - 4 days and still didn't do everything. I saw the double decker tour bus going around, looked like fun. Rode the St. Charles trolley out to the Garden District (and walked around out there, saw LaFayette Cemetery and a lot of different houses) and then took it back into town to canal. Definitely get a po boy somewhere, lots of places. You have to walk down Bourbon Street at least once - nowhere else like it (like the other poster, the Huge Ass Beers sign cracked me up) - if you drink, definitely get a hand grenade! You can find them at any Tropical Isle bar down Bourbon. Beignets are a MUST! If you could work out coming into the French Quarter for lunch, Court of Two Sisters has a jazz brunch - sit in the courtyard, listen to the jazz trio, eat a lot of awesome food. Preservation Hall for jazz is a definite. Two of my friends did the WWII museum and really liked it. Jackson Square and the French Market are really neat to explore, lots of local artists showing off their creations, live music going on (pretty much everywhere you go in the French Quarter).

WOW!!!! Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I am excited to try the Streetcar....that is very much New Orleans. Were definitely gonna try a Po-Boy from somewhere ;) Thanks Again for your help

That sounds exactly like our first trip and almost in that order. LOL

Edited by cruisecritiquer