Have you ever left your room and try to come back fast to catch them cleaning y

chris.b.74

Its ok. A lot of newcruisers feel this way. They have a schedule.

Diamond Status

Us not so new cruisers know they don't have a schedule .We sleep in sometimes and never got woken up even if we don't put the "snoozin" sign on our door.

I think they have microphones in the mdr's. On my first cruise I was eating the entree but didn't really care for it and mentioned it to my dh, but I was still eating at it. Our waiter comes over and ask "you not like? I can get you something else" Spooky!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

I had the same experience!!! I ordered a steak in the MDR well done. Well when I got it an cut into it it was medium, not a big deal. But we all commented on it at the table. As I started eating the waiter came up and said, "you ordered that well done didn't you? Let me take it and make it right." I stated it was very good as it was, but thank you. As he walked off we all looked at each other like um how did he hear us???

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Us not so new cruisers know they don't have a schedule .We sleep in sometimes and never got woken up even if we don't put the "snoozin" sign on our door.

Yes if they see the deadbolt is locked they know someone is in the cabin and will not disturb you.

It's amazing how the know you have left your cabin. You can leave for 15 minutes and come back to a bed made and room clean. We have even tryed to catch them by leaving and coming back quickly. It's almost like they have a camera and sit and watch for you to leave and go ok there gone hurry lets get it done before the come back.. Lol

Its ok. A lot of newcruisers feel this way. They have a schedule.

Diamond Status

Not a new cruiser, but I am not sure they don't have monitors to hall cameras. And I am pretty sure they have access to computer monitors that tell when you have swiped your card to get on or off the ship. Our concierge on Celebrity Infinity always seemed to meet us in the corridor outside our cabin when we came back from port (regardless of the hour) to ask if we needed anything.

Stewards having a "schedule" doesn't quite explain how pax can leave their cabins at irregular times, and for only brief periods, and suddenly find their cabins cleaned...

Having a "schedule" explains hotel room maids who arrive to clean your room at the scheduled time, and if you have a "do not disturb" sign out, go on to the next room and never come back until the next day at the scheduled time.

I think cruise ship service is a sort of magic with technological assistance!

Not a new cruiser, but I am not sure they don't have monitors to hall cameras. And I am pretty sure they have access to computer monitors that tell when you have swiped your card to get on or off the ship. Our concierge on Celebrity Infinity always seemed to meet us in the corridor outside our cabin when we came back from port (regardless of the hour) to ask if we needed anything.

Stewards having a "schedule" doesn't quite explain how pax can leave their cabins at irregular times, and for only brief periods, and suddenly find their cabins cleaned...

Having a "schedule" explains hotel room maids who arrive to clean your room at the scheduled time, and if you have a "do not disturb" sign out, go on to the next room and never come back until the next day at the scheduled time.

I think cruise ship service is a sort of magic with technological assistance!

Yes by schedule I mean shifts. They don't work around the clock. They have a morning shift then time off before evening shifts. Ask them and they can explain it to you. That is why you won't see them out during their off time. However you can call them on the phone if you need something during these times. Hope this helps.

Diamond Status

Like. The I want to remove tips, I want to remove tips and pay cash, I dont want to pre-pay tips ..I only want to tip the people who directly serve me crowd. I will probably be flamed but :rolleyes:.

I'm telling you. Anyone that complains about the service on a cruise amazes me.... They go out of there way for us every time we sail.. And they always know us by name also amazing..

I had the same experience!!! I ordered a steak in the MDR well done. Well when I got it an cut into it it was medium, not a big deal. But we all commented on it at the table. As I started eating the waiter came up and said, "you ordered that well done didn't you? Let me take it and make it right." I stated it was very good as it was, but thank you. As he walked off we all looked at each other like um how did he hear us???

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

They watch and see who is eating (or not and looking at their food and not happy ) and check who ordered what and make it happen :)

Service is so awesome on cruises I cant see why people would remove tips and punish the staff who work so hard to make our vacation awesome

Like. The I want to remove tips, I want to remove tips and pay cash, I dont want to pre-pay tips ..I only want to tip the people who directly serve me crowd. I will probably be flamed but :rolleyes:.

LOL don't worry I am flamed a lot :)

We are fighting a losing battle ;)

I can picture that rolled up $20 bill on day seven palmed to a cabin steward with a wink that's for you(thank you so much for the baseball cap and calling card that my family will try to boil and eat). But the rest of his pay was removed at the pursers desk on Sunday.By the way that's the best night to enjoy the dining room :) They spend too much time removing tips and fighting all those drinks of the day charges ( I did not drink that much)

I have my flame retardant suit on :)

I like to call them "Ninja Stewards". LOL

Ninja is right. I got up to go to the loo at 3am and when I came out the bed was made and I had a towel animal on my pillow.

Send from my iPhone using Cruise Critic App

Once on a Disney cruise, I left a small video camera somewhat hidden (partially under a shirt) on the desk in the room turned on and recording while going out to the evening dining,....

Later when I played it back,.....

after about 30 minutes of nothing, there they we're, two room attendants,

it was amazing to watch how fast, professional and efficient they were,....

Trash out, Bed made, Bathroom completely cleaned, restocked, wiped down and fully sanitized, all stuff left on beds, floors, etc, picked up and neatly arranged, quick vaccume, lights/curtains adjusted, new daily sceduals/chocolates on pillows, etc, Have it looking like a perfect room again...and all this happens in about 7 minutes!

One of them, then notices the camera light is on, points it out to his helper,

thay pick up and fold the shirt that was covering it and place it neatly beside it, but never touch the camera.

Lastly, the most amazing part of the video, one of them grabs a few towels he brought in with him,....and almost like a magic trick, a few flicks of the wrist, he has a towel animal body formed, he then quickly uses a coat rack like hook on the wall (just outside the bathroom door) to assist him like a third hand to hold and shape another towel, and wah-la! quicker than you're human eyes, he has a Towel monkey, places it on a coat hanger and hangs it above the bed, and is gone off to his next room,....

I thought the 7 minute room cleaning was amazing, until i saw the whole towel monkey took him less than 45 seconds start to finish!

wish i could figure out what old video tape that footage is on now,...

anyway, try hiding a small video cam sometime and see it for you're self!

It's amazing how the know you have left your cabin. You can leave for 15 minutes and come back to a bed made and room clean. We have even tryed to catch them by leaving and coming back quickly. It's almost like they have a camera and sit and watch for you to leave and go ok there gone hurry lets get it done before the come back.. Lol

They hide in the closet and jump out as soon as you leave.

I don't remember which cruise it was but on one of ours, we went two days without our cabin being cleaned or the bed made. It was no big deal because we pick up after ourselves. We just made the bed and left it at that.

On the third day, we finally met up with our cabin steward and ask for towels. He apologized and said that his helper had jumped ship on the first port day and he was left short-handed and couldn't keep up. We just told him to make sure we had clean towels and ice and that would be enough. Our cabin was kept up after that day.

Once on a Disney cruise, I left a small video camera somewhat hidden (partially under a shirt) on the desk in the room turned on and recording while going out to the evening dining,....

Trash out, Bed made, Bathroom completely cleaned, restocked, wiped down and fully sanitized, all stuff left on beds, floors, etc, picked up and neatly arranged, quick vaccume, lights/curtains adjusted, new daily sceduals/chocolates on pillows, etc, Have it looking like a perfect room again...and all this happens in about 7 minutes!

thay pick up and fold the shirt that was covering it and place it neatly beside it, but never touch the camera.

Lastly, the most amazing part of the video, one of them grabs a few towels he brought in with him,....and almost like a magic trick, a few flicks of the wrist, he has a towel animal body formed, he then quickly uses a coat rack like hook on the wall (just outside the bathroom door) to assist him like a third hand to hold and shape another towel, and wah-la! quicker than you're human eyes, he has a Towel monkey, places it on a coat hanger and hangs it above the bed, and is gone off to his next room,....

I thought the 7 minute room cleaning was amazing, until i saw the whole towel monkey took him less than 45 seconds start to finish!

Ewww... using a nanny cam on the staff just seems so creepy. :eek: Though I find it interesting to read what you observed, your method for gleaning the info makes me uncomfortable... don't really know why, as I suppose there is nothing wrong with it, strictly speaking...

I never met my steward until the second day on board (I dropped off my bag quickly and went to trivia and other embarkment day activities and didn't see him before dinner either).

He finally introduced himself to me after breakfast. He kept the cabin in good condition and I left him $3 tip before I left rolled up like a tongue in my towel animal!

They are sneaky. 3 cruises and for the most part good room-stewards. Last cruise our room was missed twice for turn down over 7 days and my daughter was sad to have only recieved 2 or 3 towel animals, but always, always ice in the bucket etc.. The only thing I disliked was running down to services before bed to get the nexts days schedule to peruse before bed on those 2 times he missed us.

I will also add, 3 cruises, my wife and I are amazed when we see the statement about Ship staff knowing names? In 3 cruisers we have never had a worker on a ship, be it waiters, stewards etc.. call us by name? First or last?

I will also add, 3 cruises, my wife and I are amazed when we see the statement about Ship staff knowing names? In 3 cruisers we have never had a worker on a ship, be it waiters, stewards etc.. call us by name? First or last?

We had a waiter that served us a drink on day 1 and remembered my name over a week later when we met up again. We have also had staff remember our names when we've run into them on different cruises.

On all cruises cabin staff have always called us by name.

It's one of the reasons we keep coming back.

Send from my iPhone using Cruise Critic App

I just realized it is rare we see the same worker more than once? so knowing us by name is likely rare? We only see our steward once or twice per 7 day cruise, don't use bartenders, don't use MDR.....this is likely the reason.

Did you happen to have like 5 cameras :) How did you see all those things with a camera on a desk facing one way

Archived