Have you ever left your room and try to come back fast to catch them cleaning y

chris.b.74

We had a waiter that served us a drink on day 1 and remembered my name over a week later when we met up again. We have also had staff remember our names when we've run into them on different cruises.

On all cruises cabin staff have always called us by name.

It's one of the reasons we keep coming back.

We were on the Conquest a few years back with another couple. Right after we boarded the ship and went to the buffet for lunch we went out by the pool and ordered a bucket of beer, after a few minutes another waiter came by and called both of us by name....he was one of our waiters from the year before. It is uncanny how these people remember names.

As far as the Nanny-cam comment above,....I only did this ONE time out of Forty-Nine nights at sea,...so yes It was kinda Spying,....but "inquiring minds want to know",....And now that I see how they do it, mine is satisfied,....So I never have done it again,....

As far as how did I see so much from one camera angle,....there was a mirror I had it angled at on the opposite wall, and that mirror also could reflect a second mirror, giving me a good but distant view of about 3/4's of the room,...as long as they we're not standing between the camera and the mirrors.

I could not see exactly what they did inside the Disney split bathrooms, But I could see them entering and exiting it with towels, brushes, supply's etc.

anyway, I know it sounds kinda creepy,...but I just wanted to know how they covered so many cabins so quickly,.....and now I know. Curiosity satisfied.;)

As far as the Nanny-cam comment above,....I only did this ONE time out of Forty-Nine nights at sea,...so yes It was kinda Spying,....but "inquiring minds want to know",....And now that I see how they do it, mine is satisfied,....So I never done it again,....

I don't think it's spying. Especially when it's YOUR room.

Others do it to US! Sometimes we know, and sometimes we don't.

Even their bosses are watching them.

I got up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night once on a cruise and when I got back the bed had been remade and the ice bucket refilled!(LOL)

Seriously, that's FUNNY. Glad I wasn't drinking coffee. :D:D

I will also add, 3 cruises, my wife and I are amazed when we see the statement about Ship staff knowing names? In 3 cruisers we have never had a worker on a ship, be it waiters, stewards etc.. call us by name? First or last?

On my last cruise, our room steward called me by name as I was coming down the hallway to place my bags in the room. It kinda freaked me out, lol. To this day I don't have a clue how he knew because we hadn't met and I hadn't been in the room yet.

I don't try to catch them cleaning the room, but all always seem to forget something that I need, and while waiting for the elevator, or when I get to the stair, I run back to the room to get the headphones, sunglass, cigar case or lighter, and they're usually already in there cleaning. The staff work hard for their tips, which is deservedly so. I've never had one, or one that was working close by, that didn't acknowledge me whether with a greeting or by name, or if I didn't see my steward, and I asked them for a particular item, they gave it to me, or located notified my steward. It has taken me several cruises to realize that my steward could be reached 24-7 via the room phone, although I've only used it to request an item once.

On my last cruise, our room steward called me by name as I was coming down the hallway to place my bags in the room. It kinda freaked me out, lol. To this day I don't have a clue how he knew because we hadn't met and I hadn't been in the room yet.

There is a little magic involved. I could tell you, but it would break the magician's code...

Some attendants place a small piece of paper in the door jam. Once you open the door the paper falls to the carpet letting them know someone left the room.:)

That is a very interesting concept. I've never noticed it, but could see that working.

Sooo Greene County ???? Rensselaer County here :)

Once on a Disney cruise, I left a small video camera somewhat hidden (partially under a shirt) on the desk in the room turned on and recording while going out to the evening dining,....

Later when I played it back,.....

after about 30 minutes of nothing, there they we're, two room attendants,

it was amazing to watch how fast, professional and efficient they were,....

Trash out, Bed made, Bathroom completely cleaned, restocked, wiped down and fully sanitized, all stuff left on beds, floors, etc, picked up and neatly arranged, quick vaccume, lights/curtains adjusted, new daily sceduals/chocolates on pillows, etc, Have it looking like a perfect room again...and all this happens in about 7 minutes!

One of them, then notices the camera light is on, points it out to his helper,

thay pick up and fold the shirt that was covering it and place it neatly beside it, but never touch the camera.

Lastly, the most amazing part of the video, one of them grabs a few towels he brought in with him,....and almost like a magic trick, a few flicks of the wrist, he has a towel animal body formed, he then quickly uses a coat rack like hook on the wall (just outside the bathroom door) to assist him like a third hand to hold and shape another towel, and wah-la! quicker than you're human eyes, he has a Towel monkey, places it on a coat hanger and hangs it above the bed, and is gone off to his next room,....

I thought the 7 minute room cleaning was amazing, until i saw the whole towel monkey took him less than 45 seconds start to finish!

wish i could figure out what old video tape that footage is on now,...

anyway, try hiding a small video cam sometime and see it for you're self!

I see you have already responded but, I am employed in an industry where most of what I and everyone else does is recorded non stop its a secure environment, BUT the difference is ....we know it .

I just think in this situation it really wasn't nice to do that to the stewards, imagine how they must have felt... why is this person taping us do they think we have taken something are we going to be accused of something ...... They work their behinds off and in all the cruises we have taken, not a single item has been missing, not even the money that we usually just have folded up by our phone. Not a lot a couple of bucks for when we play dice or stray small cash that we brought back from shore.

Just my opinion that's all.

I love room stewards. The one on our last trip on the Freedom didn't seem quite up to standard. Just not as quick cleaning our room. But it was always done. However the last day we were very impressed. I had broken my arm the last night of the cruise and was being medically evacuated the next morning. We had to leave the room the last morning before our S&S refund check arrived. When he found it he tracted us down and gave us the cheque. Since it was prime time on the busiest day of the cruise we were very impressed. Actually I wasn't impressed until after I got home. At the time I was too drugged up to care.

I love room stewards. The one on our last trip on the Freedom didn't seem quite up to standard. Just not as quick cleaning our room. But it was always done. However the last day we were very impressed. I had broken my arm the last night of the cruise and was being medically evacuated the next morning. We had to leave the room the last morning before our S&S refund check arrived. When he found it he tracted us down and gave us the cheque. Since it was prime time on the busiest day of the cruise we were very impressed. Actually I wasn't impressed until after I got home. At the time I was too drugged up to care.

How did you break your arm?

As far as the Nanny-cam comment above,....I only did this ONE time out of Forty-Nine nights at sea,...so yes It was kinda Spying,....but "inquiring minds want to know",....And now that I see how they do it, mine is satisfied,....So I never have done it again,....

As far as how did I see so much from one camera angle,....there was a mirror I had it angled at on the opposite wall, and that mirror also could reflect a second mirror, giving me a good but distant view of about 3/4's of the room,...as long as they we're not standing between the camera and the mirrors.

I could not see exactly what they did inside the Disney split bathrooms, But I could see them entering and exiting it with towels, brushes, supply's etc.

anyway, I know it sounds kinda creepy,...but I just wanted to know how they covered so many cabins so quickly,.....and now I know. Curiosity satisfied.;)

I am impressed! If I ever need any spying done, you are the one I am going to call on!

Your use of the mirrors reminds me of my childhood -- if I was sick and had to stay in bed, my mother used to set up mirrors to reflect the living room TV screen so I could watch TV from my bed! Maybe you and she are twins separated at birth! :D

Archived