Other Lectures on a "Bridge Cruise"

NanciEA

My DH and I are looking at a cruise on the Mariner next February. The "enrichment" is listed as "bridge". We're in our 50's and have never played bridge. (My parents are in their 80's and love to play bridge, but none of our friends play and we have never learned the game.) Does this mean there will be no other lectures during the cruise? Also, does it mean most of our fellow passengers will be more interested in playing cards than seeing the sights? Does this imply most of the passengers will be my parents age? There is only one sea day on this 10 night cruise, so we thought it would be "port intensive" which we enjoy, but we are re-thinking the cruise because of the "bridge" factor.

No problem. There will probably be around 40 players. They utilize a card room for this and the show room will have the normal lecturers etc.. The only question I would have is what is your itinerary? You said ten days and in February the Mariner will be going around South America. Buenos Aires on Feb. 28.?

Some cruises are ACBL Sanctioned and there are major bridge teachers on board. You could end up with a lot more than 40 players.

That said, we did a bridge cruise in Alaska. We did not play bridge at the time of that cruise and most of the players did tour. The games were scheduled during sea times. We learned to play bridge on a crossing we did. My husband loves the game and I have learned it enough to play with him some of the time. He says he would not play if there were tours to take at the time. Most of the tours are in the mornings so my guess is people would tour in the mornings and play in the afternoons on some of the days. A usual round of duplicate bridge is about 24 boards/hands and would be about 2 1/2 hours

Archived