Toulon to Cassis transportation help needed!

klmatha

My husband and I are interested in the kayak activity in Cassis and have researched the options for transportation from the LOS Toulon port to Cassis. We wondered if anyone more recently had taken the train to Cassis and if you had any difficulty arranging train times and the kayak times and if it was possible to walk from the train station down to the water (about 2 miles) without any problems. Also if the trip back to the ship was fairly easy. We are a little concerned about getting from the train to the water. Any suggestions or help with this would be greatly appreciated.

In June, we took the train from Toulon to Cassis. As we got off the train, there were 3 taxis and the shuttle bus all there. Several of the folks from our ship were able to grab the taxis. We took the bus down to the town. We made a small joke about that probably being all the taxis in town. I know it says two miles between the train station and the town, but I really believe that milage is how the crow flies. Taking the bus seemed much further than 2 miles. There is a little walk from the bus stop to the port. At the bottom of the road was a taxi stand, and all 3 taxis from the train station were there. So we were thinking no issue getting back up to the train station later

We found that we wanted to take the 3pm train back to Toulon. After taking the 5 Calanques boat tour, and a nice lunch next to the port, we walk to the taxi stand to catch a ride back up. No Taxis to be found, and no one answered the phone when calling from the taxi stand. Walked back up to the bus stop, and realized we missed the bus that would get us up in time for the 3pm train. Panic started to set in, and we found another family from our cruise in the same shape.

We started asking folks in restaurants and others around about taxis. Several tried to help out and called several taxi companies, and no seemed to answer the phone. The other family ended up paying a nice person to take them up to the train station, and we ended up begging two nice ladies with their children to take us back up. They refused any payment. At the train station we dound another couple from the ship, and they begged at the TI to get someone to take them up to the station.

We all ended up catching the 3:30ish train, and were one of the last ones back on the ship...

All in all, getting to town from the station to the port of Cassis was easy, getting back to the station, a real pain!!!!

I would not want to walk back up to the station from town. Not an easy road, and not well marked on how to get to the station.

Yikes! Thanks so much for the valuable information. Do you happen to know how often the buses came to the bus stop in Cassis? Also we don't leave the port until 6:00 p.m. If we left Cassis as early as 3:30 will we have any problems getting back by then?

Yikes! Thanks so much for the valuable information. Do you happen to know how often the buses came to the bus stop in Cassis? Also we don't leave the port until 6:00 p.m. If we left Cassis as early as 3:30 will we have any problems getting back by then?

First time replying and at a loss as I don;t find it friendly but I need the same info. check out www.ot-cassis.com and I think that lead me to the bus schedule which apparently does not coincide with the train arrival or departures but it's something.

We didn't look at the bus timetable as closely as we should have! If I remember correctly, there was a bus around 2:30ish, and the next one was after 3:30.

I would think there would be no issues getting back for a 6pm if you are on the 3:30 train. I don't remember when the next train from Cassis to Toulon was. Our boat was scheduled to leave at 5, and we got on board at 4:50. There was one last tour bus coming in as we boarded.

• 2 weeks later...

We docked in Marseille last month, rented a car and drove ourselves.

You can do the same from Toulon.

Plus, driving yourself gives you the chance to drive to the top of Cap Canaille, the highest cliff in the Mediterranean, with stunning views of Cassis and the sea.

http://www.europcar.com/DotcarClient/step1.action?checkinStation=TLNL01&checkoutStation=TLNL01&checkoutCountry=FR

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cap_Canaille

• 2 months later...
We docked in Marseille last month, rented a car and drove ourselves.

You can do the same from Toulon.

Plus, driving yourself gives you the chance to drive to the top of Cap Canaille, the highest cliff in the Mediterranean, with stunning views of Cassis and the sea.

http://www.europcar.com/DotcarClient/step1.action?checkinStation=TLNL01&checkoutStation=TLNL01&checkoutCountry=FR

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cap_Canaille

Hi, do you remember what you paid for the car? I was just on the site and it's giving me a price of $250 for a day! Yikes

Hi, do you remember what you paid for the car? I was just on the site and it's giving me a price of $250 for a day! Yikes

I agree... It's very expansive to rent cars here...

If you give me exactly dates and schedules, i can try to find you better prices in french websites. :)

I agree... It's very expansive to rent cars here...

If you give me exactly dates and schedules, i can try to find you better prices in french websites. :)

That's very generous. We are in Toulon on Sunday Aug 17, 2014, getting off the ship at 8 AM and getting back on at 4:00 PM. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Merci beaucoup!

Edited by hsaroya

Oh, a sunday ! Currently, it's difficult to have best prices.

I found the best one at ada.fr for 89e (120$).

Add 20$ for a gps and a bigger car if you need (10e + 5e).

Place of the car: goo . gl /maps/UwXlg

It's not bad but we can maybe (!) find a better price in January/February. :)

Edited by frenchrci

Oh, a sunday ! Currently, it's difficult to have best prices.

I found the best one at ada.fr for 89e (120$).

Add 20$ for a gps and a bigger car if you need (10e + 5e).

Place of the car: goo . gl /maps/UwXlg

It's not bad but we can maybe (!) find a better price in January/February. :)

C'est une bonne information! Merci

• 2 months later...
My husband and I are interested in the kayak activity in Cassis and have researched the options for transportation from the LOS Toulon port to Cassis. We wondered if anyone more recently had taken the train to Cassis and if you had any difficulty arranging train times and the kayak times and if it was possible to walk from the train station down to the water (about 2 miles) without any problems. Also if the trip back to the ship was fairly easy. We are a little concerned about getting from the train to the water. Any suggestions or help with this would be greatly appreciated.

We were in Toulon in April. We had a group of 6 who walked to the train station from the water taxi stand. Missed the first train due to the clerk not selling us tickets with 10 minutes before the departure !

We walked outside and hired a taxi for the round trip ...for less than the train tickets. He took us to the center of town and picked us up there...worked like a charm. Cassis is great and beautiful !

We walked about 1/2 mile from the ship to the public water taxi station and did the trip to Toulon for 1/5 the price of the ship.

Eaglewar

We were in Toulon in April. We had a group of 6 who walked to the train station from the water taxi stand. Missed the first train due to the clerk not selling us tickets with 10 minutes before the departure !

We walked outside and hired a taxi for the round trip ...for less than the train tickets. He took us to the center of town and picked us up there...worked like a charm. Cassis is great and beautiful !

We walked about 1/2 mile from the ship to the public water taxi station and did the trip to Toulon for 1/5 the price of the ship.

Eaglewar

Do you recall what the cost of the taxi was?

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Eaglewar

Yes just wondering how much did you guys end up paying for the taxi?