Sorry ! Tipping Query....

Considering about $5 per day goes to the person that cleans your room and $2-3 goes to your head mdr server I cannot grasp that anyone would think that is excessive.

You are right, everyone is free to make their own choices. But for example if I went to India I would not walk around in a bathing suit in public and use the excuse that its ok because I am American and that's what we do. No I would instead follow the local customs and be more covered up. But i guess that is the difference between being a traveler and a tourist.

"Tourists leave home to escape the world, while travelers leave home to experience the world."

Following customs is part of the experience. If I wanted everyplace to be just like the US I wouldn't bother going out of the country. And if you are going to use the reasoning that you don't agree with tips or its not done where you live then you have to be prepared that people will call you cheap.

Well I'm going round Europe so I'm going to do it the European way.

Considering about $5 per day goes to the person that cleans your room and $2-3 goes to your head mdr server I cannot grasp that anyone would think that is excessive.

This is the part I struggle with. For about the cost of 2 drinks per day, you receive an incredible level of service. Overall for the week it amounts to about one excursion per person.

Well I'm going round Europe, I am going to do it the European way.

The reality is that you are free to tip as you please. Gratuities are not mandatory, just suggested. Just understand that you are not sending a message to the cruise line. Anyone that you choose not to tip will just earn less for the week.

The reality is that you are free to tip as you please. Gratuities are not mandatory, just suggested. Just understand that you are not sending a message to the cruise line. Anyone that you choose not to tip will just earn less for the week.

I will tip though. I will tip at the end, which is all this debate is about. I'm called cheap for doing it differently.

This is the part I struggle with. For about the cost of 2 drinks per day, you receive an incredible level of service. Overall for the week it amounts to about one excursion per person.

I think anyone that thinks the tips are excessive should work in a tipped service position and see how nice it is to spend all that time waiting on and serving people to get nothing from them with the excuse that they don't agree with the system.

I think anyone that thinks the tips are excessive should work in a tipped service position and see how nice it is to spend all that time waiting on and serving people to get nothing from them with the excuse that they don't agree with the system.

But, people do tip, they just do it differently. To be honest multinational companies adapt to a country's culture, it works much better. I just think this should be taken into account with the cruise ships.

Yes, but they are employed by the company, not by me, I know that's not American culture, but it is UK culture. I don't ever tip anyone for making my bed in a hotel, its just not done. I may leave something at the end. In a restaurant, I usually leave a tip at the end if the service is good.

Since I read thie first handful of posts on this thread, I showered, went to church, had lunch out, took a drive in the country, made a visit to a Bed, Bath and Beyond for a candle and a new ironing board cover, made a stop at the grocery and came home and put the groceries away, changed clothes, fixed a cold drink just to find we're still beating this dead horse:eek: Yep--thus goes the way of the eternal tipping comment.

Yes, but they are employed by the company, not by me, I know that's not American culture, but it is UK culture. I don't ever tip anyone for making my bed in a hotel, its just not done. I may leave something at the end. In a restaurant, I usually leave a tip at the end if the service is good.

RCI is american.......I agree with many of your posts about tipping and don't like the idea of daily charge........but I will and always have tipped at the end of the cruise because it's expected. Not for the outstanding service.......because its expected.

When in Rome............even American Rome........

Removing tips altogether increases cruise prices for everyone.........

True, but these employees are hired with the understanding that a large portion of their wages will come from tips. You cruise with that very same knowledge. Agree or disagree that is the arrangement.

Since I read thie first handful of posts on this thread, I showered, went to church, had lunch out, took a drive in the country, made a visit to a Bed, Bath and Beyond for a candle and a new ironing board cover, made a stop at the grocery and came home and put the groceries away, changed clothes, fixed a cold drink just to find we're still beating this dead horse:eek: Yep--thus goes the way of the eternal tipping comment.

And......

And ???????

True, but you have also paid $$$ per day in cruise fare to begin with.

True, but these employees are hired with the understanding that a large portion of their wages will come from tips. You cruise with that very same knowledge. Agree or disagree that is the arrangement.

This isn't in disagreement but indy for example sails out of the UK for a good proportion of the year. I'm not an employment expert but would European rules apply or is it different on a cruise ship. when I travelled P&O most people would have tipped at the end, I'm not sure anyone woulda hose one cruise shop over the other.

Anyway it's late here I'm off to bed now to dream about my cruise. I am sure we will keep our wait staff happy and all will be sorted one way or another.

I totally agree that it would be better if the cruise line were to simply include the cost of tips in the cruise plan. That, however, will not happen because it would make the price appear higher.

Until this changes, trying to alter the system they've put in place only results in injury to the hard-working staff.

And as I understand it, a portion of that extra cost we would pay would be given not to the wonderful staff but to the (perhaps or perhaps not equally wonderful) travel agent, who gets a percentage.

Kathy

And as I understand it, a portion of that extra cost we would pay would be given not to the wonderful staff but to the (perhaps or perhaps not equally wonderful) travel agent, who gets a percentage.

Kathy

And the credit card company. Giving cash, they get the whole thing, charge it, and maybe 97%?

Guest maddycat
If the monthly amount they get is say $3500, that by a UK wage bill is not half bad, and the amount they earnt was a curiousity, as i was/am unfamiliar with the earnings of those at sea.

My point i was trying to make about the envelopes is that i f i have already paid my gratuities up front, to reward exemplary service i would prefer to give it directly to the person concerned and to shake their hand and look them in the eye and thank them, rather than placing it in an envelope and leaving it behind.

Further more I intend to treat everyone as i would be wish to be treated myself saying "please" and "thank you" and showing manners and respect, NOT using the tipping system as a method of compensating for loutish behaviour, and rudeness, as I have seen in other places.

If we want to leave an extra tip for the cabin attendant we will use the envelope that is left in the cabin with his name/position printed on it. I'll write thank you on the outside of the envelope, put the cash inside and leave it on the bed before we go to dinner on the last night of the cruise. We don't use any other envelopes. We just leave them on the desk in the cabin. For everyone else, my husband prefers to hand out cash with out an envelope. He hands them the cash, shakes their hand and thanks them.

Thanks guys, finally nice people ;). Bridgnorth has been beautiful the last couple of weeks...........full of tourists tho ;):D. I'm still on the fence about the whole prepaid tipping thing. I don't believe that someone who works very hard and goes above and beyond should get the same amount as the person just doing the bare minimum :confused: I know I have the choice of giving extra just think it's a little unfair on some crew if people only pay the prepaid.

I think you will be pleased to find that there are not many who do the bare minimum. I personally have never met one.:) You will be served by a great crew of hardworking people with big smiles on their faces.

Happy sails.

Kathy

My point i was trying to make about the envelopes is that i f i have already paid my gratuities up front, to reward exemplary service i would prefer to give it directly to the person concerned and to shake their hand and look them in the eye and thank them, rather than placing it in an envelope and leaving it behind.

Most of us probably do both, K9. We put the cash in the envelope and hand it to the person we are rewarding.:)

Happy sails.

Kathy

average Uk wage £27,000

average US wage $50,000

average Phillipino wage £7300

all figures annual.. making a years wages on a cruise liner in three/four months, makes perfect sense to a Phillipino worker, good luck to them

These good people leave spouses and children behind and work halfway across the world so they can better their family's lives.

Kathy

I will tip though. I will tip at the end, which is all this debate is about. I'm called cheap for doing it differently.

we agree that we do not want to tip without showing whom we want to

tip.

In our last 2 or 3 cruises, we did not leave the suggested general amount,

but we gave, more, to the excellent people who were serving us.

At the end, we spent a Little more, but were happy to show to this people our thankfulness, and they did apprecciate it a lot.

we gave each of them an envelope with the money inside, and we gave it

to them ourselves.

Archived