Dolphins and whales from ship?

There's always a chance that you'll see whales and dolphins in the Gulf of Maine and around the Canadian Maritimes in the summer, but nothing like what you'd see up close from a small whale watching boat. The cruise ship moves faster than the animals and the ship won't slow down for you to get a good photo.

On a NE/Canada cruise last year as we sailed from Halifax to Boston, we saw one whale spouting off in the distance, but that was it.

On non-cruise trips, I've seen Minke and Finback whales from boats out of Boothbay Harbor. The week before, the boat had seen several humpbacks. The Gulf of Maine is also a feeding area and breeding ground for right whales. The whale watching boats in Maine, Canada, and Cape Cod go out to the feeding grounds so you have a pretty good chance of seeing whales.

Always a chance I guess... We have done two Canada/NE cruises in the fall and the only whales we saw were shortly after leaving Cornerbrook NL, then lots of dolphins between NY and FLL on the reposition trip. Most of what you will see will be at a distance. If you spend lots of time on deck you never know what you might see, we put in a lot of time out there!!

I've done two Alaska whale watching trips (both successful) and seen dolphins from the ship in Alaska and in the Caribbean. I also saw a spouting whale way off in the distance from the shore in Hawaii. The ones in the Caribbean were the best because they were right outside the MDR Window at breakfast and they seemed to be trying to race the ship!

If we don't see any, I'll live, but it'll be a nice bonus if we do! I just wasn't sure what time of year they migrate and if they'll even be there at that time.

Thanks to everyone! Wishuse luck!

Archived