Geiranger replaced with Andalsnes on next QM2 trip to the Fjords

Force10

I've been reading, with interest, your conversation about Geiranger. I was on the QE last week when we did indeed call there. It was my first trip to the fjords and I was blown away by the beauty. The seawalk was clearly there but we didn't use it. There was another ship anchored too. We marvelled at the position we anchored as we were quite close to the shore at the 'end' of the fjord - we commented that it shows how deep the fjord is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It appears I am missing something here. How can the QE ensure a safe anchorage and the QM2 not? Seems like this would be easy for Cunard to explain this. They still have yet to tell me that I will not be going to Geiranger on the voyage I will embark on on the QM2 this Saturday although it was advertised as going there when I booked passage last month.

Are they just waiting for me to get on board before they tell me? Perhaps a notice saying "Welcome to your final voyage on Cunard! We have a surprise for you!"

QE is a smaller ship with a more shallow draft than QM2. Having been on QM2 to Norway just last month I recall some pretty tight maneuvers. Possibly QM2 could drift into a too shallow area whereas QE has more leeway. "Too many ships in port" can also be unpleasant if the number of passengers ashore exceeds the local road capacity. (I once encountered this in the Caribbean when we were the fifth ship in port. Can we say NYC rush hour? )

If you are leaving Saturday and just booked last month you're probably on a Getaway fare. Hope you got a good deal and the voyage doesn't disappoint you.

I'm sorry to hear this for the people affected.

We were on the Celebrity Eclipse last week and used the sea walk - it was brilliant.

I believe (from reading another forum) that the cost to use the sea walk might be relevant. The person posting said that Carnival were not prepared to pay the price.

See below from Geiranger webpage!

Also on the cruise of the QE last week, and one certainly has to wonder about the depth at the main anchor point in this village for the larger ships.

A few years ago I was there, with 3 ships in port and the experience was definitely spoilt by the number of pax. Then it was Eclipse, a large Princess ship and another of the Aida line. Last week the second ship was of the Spanish Ibero line, which had dropped anchor a mile or so before Geiranger. Not one I would choose to cruise on!! It is not even mentioned in the port arrivals.

Schedule for the Port Of Geiranger for August 2013

Date Port Load Ships in port

01-Aug-13 5730 Costa Pacifica, Celebrity Infinity

02-Aug-13

03-Aug-13

04-Aug-13 1260 Marina

05-Aug-13 2828 Costa Luminosa

06-Aug-13 5096 Costa Pacifica, Rotterdam

07-Aug-13

08-Aug-13 4656 Costa Fortuna, Costa neoRomantica

09-Aug-13

10-Aug-13

11-Aug-13

12-Aug-13 2852 Celebrity Eclipse

13-Aug-13

14-Aug-13 2092 Queen Elizabeth

15-Aug-13 4942 Oriana, Crown Princess

16-Aug-13

17-Aug-13

18-Aug-13

19-Aug-13 2828 Costa Luminosa

20-Aug-13 4656 Costa Fortuna, Costa neoRomantica

21-Aug-13 684 Nautica

22-Aug-13 1950 Celebrity Infinity

23-Aug-13

24-Aug-13

25-Aug-13

26-Aug-13 2828 Costa Luminosa

27-Aug-13 2620 Queen Mary 2

28-Aug-13 4313 Vision Of The Seas, Aurora

29-Aug-13

30-Aug-13

31-Aug-13

I'm sorry to hear this for the people affected.

We were on the Celebrity Eclipse last week and used the sea walk - it was brilliant.

I believe (from reading another forum) that the cost to use the sea walk might be relevant. The person posting said that Carnival were not prepared to pay the price.

We cancelled the upcoming cruise to Norway on QM2. To many dissapointing changes in the last 24 months.

We cancelled the upcoming cruise to Norway on QM2. To many disappointing changes in the last 24 months.

I'm curious if Cunard asked why you are cancelling? Or was it just, "OK - cancelled"? Some businesses, while they acknowledge that the customer had made up his/her mind to cancel, nonetheless want to know why they loose customers.

I'm curious if Cunard asked why you are cancelling? Or was it just, "OK - cancelled"? Some businesses, while they acknowledge that the customer had made up his/her mind to cancel, nonetheless want to know why they loose customers.

Even beeing a CWC Diamond couple they just dont't care.

Archived