Tortola anybody been recently?

Snorkel Dawg

Hello,

Going to tortola next April and have never been...We are excited to visit a different Caribbean isle and just starting to look for ideas on where to snorkel? Wondering if any of you have visited and have a favourite beach or had an outstanding snorkel tour with a guide?

Love to hear your opinions.

Good, Bad, or Ugly! :D

Good snorkelling at Brewers Bay. Not much else there, one bar, sun beds for hire, fabulous quiet spot watching the pelicans dive in. Snorkelling is usually very good and starts close to beach for about 100 yards or so. About 10 each dollar taxi ride from port area only slightly more than Cane Garden where the snorkelling is very poor.

Sue

• 3 weeks later...

While in tortolla, you have to go to virgin gorda. You will find the most georgous beah. Ihave been there 3 times, always the best. We have used edgar an independant, he takes younther on a speedboat,justbthe best. Nlaat year we were there on a sunday. Mthe ferry does not run, we onlynwere 10 personns on the beah, exquisite

• 5 months later...

The Indians, off of Norman Island, on a good day, might be one of the best snorkels I have ever done. It is a tougher snorkel if the weather is not good. The Treasure caves at Norman Island are also pretty good. Both sites are accessible via daysail charters from Tortola. I think White Squall and Aristocat are a couple of the charter names.

On Tortola itself, I have only beached on Cane Garden Bay. Nice white sand beach with typical beautiful Caribbean water. There is also small rum distillery (Callwood) which you can visit. Not much to see, and the "tasting room" is just a little shack, but I thought the rum was very tasty.

We spent a week staying at Cane Garden Bay on Tortola. We didn't even consider snorkeling, because it really isn't a big snorkle/scuba type destination. There is so much beauty to be seen above ground! Take a sail tour around the B.V.I. You will be blown away! Other than the beach and water tours, we had fun at the very famous Bomba's Love Shack, which is made entirely out of stuff that has washed ashore, and also Pusser's, which has an interesting history.

I believe we walked right from the ship to the ferry slip. Just google ferry schedules to Virgin Gorda, pick up a cab once you get to Virgin Gorda to the baths, and just snorkel on your own. The snorkeling excursions actually bring people right there in front of you on their trip. So, if you have your own equipment you can just go in and out of the water all day and snorkel around all the boulders. Plus, I think it's called Devil's beach? is right there too. Super easy to just do on your own. The baths are beautiful and you will get there before everyone else if you go early.

bviferries dot com. Is the schedule. $30 rt. I totally suggest doing it this way. It was the highlight of our trip and since both Tortola and Virgin Gorda are in the British Virgin Islands you don't need a passport to go between the two. Go on the ports of call threads and search for virgin gorda as title. I don't have my exact info from 2 years ago but thats how I did all my research to plan it. I'm sure there are exact threads on virgin gorda on your own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Forums mobile app

Dawg. Can I ask you a snorkel question? My husband is a diver and I am a snorkeler and somebody told me its not a good idea to go on an excursion that takes both snorkelers and divers because the water is typically too deep and not good snorkeling. Is that true?

Dawg. Can I ask you a snorkel question? My husband is a diver and I am a snorkeler and somebody told me its not a good idea to go on an excursion that takes both snorkelers and divers because the water is typically too deep and not good snorkeling. Is that true?

We usually snorkel at on our own or on an excursion on avg. four times a cruise and I have only seen divers below us on a couple occasions. But we are usually going in places from 15-40 deep. PIMO snorkeling is better in shallow waters where I can only assume deeper waters would be better diving

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Indians are also a really good dive and snorkel. I had forgotten about them! Gosh I miss the bvi's wish I were going with you guys! Used to sail a fair bit In that area, sigh!

Debbie

Sent from my iPhone using Forums