Favorite way to book RCI/best way to get discounts?

I'm an avid traveler and I'm still trying to get all the "ins and outs" of cruising so, like most people I could use a little help and I'm curious about a few things.

What is the best way to book your cruse and get a good deal? I know diligently searching and waiting and hoping is one of the options but I like a more solid route than that. Do you book through the cruiseline, personal ta, travel website? ( I know we aren't allowed to talk specifics :) so keep it general )

I can't help but wonder if we've been doing it wrong all along and there's a better way to book! Help please :D

Are there secrets to getting better deals / freebies thrown in?

Thanks!

Our first two cruises I booked directly through Royal Caribbean. Our last two cruises and the one coming up I booked through a travel agent to get some perks.

The only problem I have with using a travel agent is that I can't call Royal Caribbean myself if I decide to change rooms or if I see a price drop. You have to go through the travel agent.

But, having said that, getting the gratuities paid for, getting some onboard credit or getting dinner for 2 in one of the specialty restaurants is rather nice.

If you are looking for the best price deal, it may be worth using a website which is a clearing house for competitive quotes. Google "cruise" and "compete".

Most of the better deals are for higher priced cabins, but I still managed to score some On board Cash despite booking an inside state room when the rates were at their lowest. All the quotes were the same, but one TA offered more OBC.

The agents always seem to be exactly the same for the cruise fare as Royal Caribbean directly. There is never a difference (that I have seen).

OTOH as mentioned above, you will get more perks with a TA than directly with Royal Caribbean. From a purely financial standpoint, wouldn't it be in RCCL's best interest to keep as many bookings in house to save travel agent commissions? But I digress.

For example, one national electronics store I use gives me reward points if I book a cruise with them. Others will give you prepaid gratuities. Or you might get a spa treatment, or specialty dining for free one night. It all depends on what the agent is offering.

The other thing I have not figured out is whether the "upgrade fairy" will be more or less likely to visit you if you book directly or with an agent. My experience is that in the two I booked directly, one resulted in an upgrade. On the three booked through an agent, none resulted in an upgrade. Now of course they were different ships on different itineraries on different dates, so that statistic is useless.

But my attitude is why should I pay more for the same thing I can get less somewhere else? Just make sure the agent you use is a reputable large one. I would not book with a company like "Joe's cruise sales" in which when you call the phone is always answered by Joe with the sounds of kids in the background. That would be a little too small for my tastes!

Archived