Costa cruise transatlantic to Brazil

carebear79

Hey all,

We are going on a transatlantic cruise to Brazil, but there are things I would like to know.

Have anyone cruise with Costa Before, as an English speaker, what can I expect on activities. I heard that the main language is Italian, does Karaoke is in English or Italian? and Activities?

What can I expect on Casablanca,

Cape Verde

Recife,

Maceio,

Salvador,

Ilhuesus,

it is safe, what about excursion, can you walk around the port? what is to do around the port? how is shopping?

How are the activities on Costa?

How about the 4D Cinema, it is free? What is like to be on a Costa Ship? Are there more excursion once you are onboard?

welcome to cruise critic.

costa does a pretty good job catering to the many nationalities onboard. i've no doubt there will be some croakie (joking) in english for you. one area where costa can fail is the excursions for english speakers. if there are not enough participants for any specific language, they will cancel it. i have had tours combined with another language group, though.

I've never noticed a difference between the online excursion offering and the ones onboard. that's not to say there won't be any.

as far as information on the specific ports, you will find a lot of detailed information in the 'ports of call' section here on cruise critic.

In the Mediterranean, English speakers are usually 10% or so. I'm usually the only English-speaking single and the only English-speaking Gold Pearl member. They also put "everyone else" in the English category. I expect that a TA to Brazil will have few US/Canada because of the visa hassles- that's why I haven't done any of their South America trips. Most likely, a lot of Portugese and Spanish speakers on that itinerary, but that's only a guess.

I visited Cape Verde and Recife a number of years ago, I recall them as being pleasant but nothing special.

If you like dancing, Costa is by far your best choice, you couldn't drag me into karaoke with a team of wild horses.

Hi,

we are booked on the TA from Rio to Savona in March next year.

On our upcoming cruise the time at the Brasilian ports will be about 4 hours - so we will book tours with Costa.

(Almost) Everyone will speak English. This won't be a problem. Enjoy your cruise!

Yes, I like their routes.

And after booking premium cabin categorie you will get 10 % price reduction on your next cruise within 2 years + joining Costa Club you will get another 5 %. So we have booked the upcoming cruise with 15 % less. That's just great. And the AI drink package is a bargain, too!

We enjoyed our first Costa Cruise and are looking forward to the next one. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Carebear79

What date is your cruise?

Im on the Favalosa on the 25th November to Argentina. First time Costa cruiser.

Caryl

o

We're on Favolosa to on 11/25 or 25/11, I'm American and speak Spanish. I don't think there's a lot of time in many ports except Casablanca. I was in Casablanca in May and there's not too much to see. The Mosque is amazing, enormous and can be entered by men and women alike. But at most it is only 2 hours and it also was built in the 1970's so not much history there.

I would highly recommend doing the excursions to either Fez or Marrakesh. Both are equally far about 3 hours each way in opposite directions. I went by train but I'm sure the ship uses buses. Don't attempt to drive in this country, they're nuts.

The Medinas in each of these cities is much more interesting than Casablanca's Medina which seems full of counterfeit merchandise.

You're best to go with a guide into any Medina as you will get lost and never return to the ship. While French is spoken it was not easy to "Sortie"!

I would favor Marrakesh over Fez if I were staying overnight, but for a day trip each is equally good. I do recall in Fez a private tour included a mosaic "factory". It was really interesting to see how they cut up the tile and lay it out to make about every floor and wall covering seem uniquely hand-made in this amazing country. Fez was also hillier for better vantage points. The snake charmers were in the square in Marrakesh.

Whatever you buy negotiate or haggle. This is expected. Start at 1/4 to 1/3rd of the asking price and ask for a gift. If you're never planning a full out trip to Morocco, then I would highly recommend these tours in any language.

It will be nice just to have a walk around Casablanca then.

I don't enjoy long bus journeys and have spent time in Marrakesh a few years ago. The best thing about that trip was a day trip to see the foothills of the Atlas Mountains. It was nice to escape the city and the people trying to sell you a carpet etc. I detest the tourist trap medinas with all the plastic /counterfeit goods too.

I should think my husband and I will be glad to board the ship again for a chilled glass of Prosecco on the Casablanca day.

Caryl

Archived