Nassau - Catamaran too far for parents walking

Sherlocked

We will be in Nassau in Dec. 2013. My parents want to go on the catamaran and are physically fit enough to do that and snorkel etc. Problem; the walk, even with walkers is too far for them and the people running the catamaran are very fast walkers in order to keep the tour on time. Even without our parents a couple of years ago, we were almost jogging to keep up with the tour operator who came to meet us and a lot of people were upset though we didn't mind as we were able to keep up. There is no possibility of taking scooters or wheelchairs because there is no provision in Nassau for safe storage until the return on the catamaran. Again, they are fit enough for snorkeling and very short walks but this walk is too fast and far in the heat and the dock as far as I can tell is mainly pedestrian. Does anyone know how to perhaps book a golf cart or some small transport to the catamaran that can meet them right beside the cruise ship and then return them after the snorkeling? We are with Carnival and so far they don't even know how to help with this.
It really seems like you have to be super fit to go onshore in Nassau and some places as they seem determined to also let passengers off after a tour far from the ship. Not everyone who has mobility issues is confined to wheelchair, some people just can't walk very far or at a high rate of speed and there is nowhere to store scooters or wheelchairs. It would be nice if there was a small lockup for scooters like a bike rack or something for people who need them for distance like seniors who can still walk around a bit. I know a lot of certified scuba divers for instance who have no legs at all. With our aging population I'm hoping cruise lines will realize that we have some very vibrant and otherwise healthy people who are ready to tour and spend money in port but they need to pay more attention to mobility issues. People who don't know anyone who is challenged by mobility issues won't understand this because for us it's easy to walk off the ship and get where we're going. In Nassau it's really a couple of kilometers but it's the difference between Nassau making money and people who can't walk staying on the ship and maybe never cruising again. It's a lose, lose, lose situation.
I wish cruiselines would hire someone to rent out golf carts driven by locals for short distance tour and shore access from beside the ships; they could charge money like taxis; they could even make people pay upfront in advance as we would gladly do. This would create jobs and make money for the ports and ships. Win, win, win.
Anyway, now that I've made this really long, does anyone know how I can get some short distance transport to the catamaran in Nassau from right beside the ship. Carnival doesn't know. I asked. I'm going to try again in the meantime, maybe someone at Carnival who has been to Nassau will know, they're usually helpful.

[quote name='Sherlocked']We will be in Nassau in Dec. 2013. My parents want to go on the catamaran and are physically fit enough to do that and snorkel etc. Problem; the walk, even with walkers is too far for them and the people running the catamaran are very fast walkers in order to keep the tour on time. Even without our parents a couple of years ago, we were almost jogging to keep up with the tour operator who came to meet us and a lot of people were upset though we didn't mind as we were able to keep up. There is no possibility of taking scooters or wheelchairs because there is no provision in Nassau for safe storage until the return on the catamaran. Again, they are fit enough for snorkeling and very short walks but this walk is too fast and far in the heat and the dock as far as I can tell is mainly pedestrian. Does anyone know how to perhaps book a golf cart or some small transport to the catamaran that can meet them right beside the cruise ship and then return them after the snorkeling? We are with Carnival and so far they don't even know how to help with this.
It really seems like you have to be super fit to go onshore in Nassau and some places as they seem determined to also let passengers off after a tour far from the ship. Not everyone who has mobility issues is confined to wheelchair, some people just can't walk very far or at a high rate of speed and there is nowhere to store scooters or wheelchairs. It would be nice if there was a small lockup for scooters like a bike rack or something for people who need them for distance like seniors who can still walk around a bit. I know a lot of certified scuba divers for instance who have no legs at all. With our aging population I'm hoping cruise lines will realize that we have some very vibrant and otherwise healthy people who are ready to tour and spend money in port but they need to pay more attention to mobility issues. People who don't know anyone who is challenged by mobility issues won't understand this because for us it's easy to walk off the ship and get where we're going. In Nassau it's really a couple of kilometers but it's the difference between Nassau making money and people who can't walk staying on the ship and maybe never cruising again. It's a lose, lose, lose situation.
I wish cruiselines would hire someone to rent out golf carts driven by locals for short distance tour and shore access from beside the ships; they could charge money like taxis; they could even make people pay upfront in advance as we would gladly do. This would create jobs and make money for the ports and ships. Win, win, win.
Anyway, now that I've made this really long, does anyone know how I can get some short distance transport to the catamaran in Nassau from right beside the ship. Carnival doesn't know. I asked. I'm going to try again in the meantime, maybe someone at Carnival who has been to Nassau will know, they're usually helpful.[/quote]

There is no service of this type in Nassau (or any other port that I know of). The port exit and wharf are crowded enough without golf carts and scooters.
If you are worried about keeping up, then talk to the carnival guide and tell them you will catch up with them. The boat doesn't take off the minute they board.

You might look into the Flying Cloud ([URL="http://www.flyingcloud.info"]www.flyingcloud.info[/URL]) they are located at the Paradise Island Ferry Terminal, this may be an easier walk.
(take a cab from the front gate to the terminal)

Another suggestion is to have them start walking down the pier. The excursion will meet right outside of your ship on the pier. And then about a five minute walk to a small loading dock area behind a gate, if it's the same catamaran excursion we did. Your parents could tell the contact person that they are going to start walking first and confirm where the group will board the catamaran. There was at least a fifteen minute wait between getting off the ship and before we started leaving as a group.

• 1 month later...
My dad also has limitations on his walking. Your right that people dont understand unless they have experienced it, and the last thing they want is to feel like they are putting someone out, or bringing attention to themselves. I agree with you that there should be some sort of transportation available. Cozumel has bike drawn carriages that were very helpful, Im not sure why other ports cant do the same. Trying to find excursions that they are interested in and able to do is difficult in on this itinerary.

Thank you for the information. The bike carriages would be ideal if they had them but they alas don't as you said. Someone else said the piers were crowded enough without walkers or bikes or carts etc but again, in a few years, these ports will have no choice but to get with the times as the population grows older and the Boomers age. People really need to learn to share and not just have a herd mentality of getting places first and being impatient with a walker user. It's just a sad statement on society and the people who think that way can't see their own future. With the way the world is, we're going to have young war veterans that need more accessibility too and I dare anyone to say that a wharf is crowded enough without [I]their [/I]walkers to those who serve us so we can go on cruise and live freely. People don't know what they have until it's gone and mobility is one of those things. It was nice to read your reply because you can relate to this problem. Thank you for that. We are looking into a different catamaran that someone kindly pointed out to me in this thread but are still looking at how far the gate is to get to it.

[quote name='Sherlocked']We will be in Nassau in Dec. 2013. My parents want to go on the catamaran and are physically fit enough to do that and snorkel etc. Problem; the walk, even with walkers is too far for them and the people running the catamaran are very fast walkers in order to keep the tour on time. Even without our parents a couple of years ago, we were almost jogging to keep up with the tour operator who came to meet us and a lot of people were upset though we didn't mind as we were able to keep up. There is no possibility of taking scooters or wheelchairs because there is no provision in Nassau for safe storage until the return on the catamaran. Again, they are fit enough for snorkeling and very short walks but this walk is too fast and far in the heat and the dock as far as I can tell is mainly pedestrian. Does anyone know how to perhaps book a golf cart or some small transport to the catamaran that can meet them right beside the cruise ship and then return them after the snorkeling? We are with Carnival and so far they don't even know how to help with this.
Anyway, now that I've made this really long, does anyone know how I can get some short distance transport to the catamaran in Nassau from right beside the ship. Carnival doesn't know. I asked. I'm going to try again in the meantime, maybe someone at Carnival who has been to Nassau will know, they're usually helpful.[/quote]
There is a shuttle that runs from the ships to the festival place and from the festival place back to the ships, I have seen this going when we have docked in Nassau. Looks like it runs about every 20-30 mins.
Here is a thread talking about the shuttle on the Nassau pier:
[URL]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1894394&highlight=nassau+pier+shuttle[/URL]

Maybe this will help with your situation, I hope ;)

Archived