"Tipped my cabin steward the first day" -- how much??

Sablerose

JGR01

"Princess - yes lots of times

Cunard - 9 Aug 2005 . cannot WAIT

Carnival - not ever

Celebrity - fair

Costa- once more than enough:eek: "

If you will “Not Ever” sail on carnival then how can you give advice to those who do. I am not flaming you, but you posted a 4-paragraph response about your Suite’s and Owners Suite, drinking with the Captain, etc.. Then you make sign off with “Carnival - Not Ever”. Makes me feel like you look down upon people that sail carnival, that you think you are better then carnival. Just my observation.

I was wondering the same thing, but decided not to ask so we might not here back again.... Their experience can't relate to the OP's question for Carnival.

The whole pre-paid tipping thing is new (at least from my several Princess trips up to a few years ago).... but on the last two cruises I liked the ease of managing it.

NOW I do pre-tip when I have a Suite/Junior Suite. Partially since you tip per person per day and a suite is two to four cabins in size for the steward to make up and keep perfect.

I have an envelope (typically the same amount as I would tip for the whole cruise) and give it to them within the first day. I say 'I know it is traditional tipping and the END of the cruise .. and I will do that too .. but as a suite I expect a lot more service'. With a balcony I do tend to spend a bit more time in the suite than other people might.

That said, I expect and 90% of the time have gotten outstanding service.

I know how the ships LOVE to show off a suite ... to the inside cabin passengers. So typically I organize a party (before a dinner, or for an event or on the Panama Canal transit afternoon) for my table companions. I tell the steward a few days ahead what I want to do .. and can he/she arrange something? 100% of the time the food, setup and maybe even some wine has been comp.

We had a FAB suite at the stern on a TransCanal trip.. so thought the table (some inside, some outside) would enjoy the unique view of 'where we had been' in the locks. Asked the Steward .. and within about 30 minutes Knock Knock there was the Catering/Room Service Manager and an Assistant Purser coming to make plans. They wanted to put up a table on the balcony for food .. and offered wine for a bar (would I need a bartender?). The event went of WONDERFULLY! There was so much food (finger sandwiches, chips, veggies) that we shared with the junior suite next door (who were doing the same party thing but did not know they could request food etc).

My favorite 'party' was on the old Island Princess. We had the Owners Suite which was on a half-deck at the start of 'officers only territory'. We had the Shore Excursions Manager at our table anyhow, and when she heard we were throwing a 'do' in the Owners Suite .. she went to town! The Captain showed up (we were close to his cabin anyhow). Both the lead singers from the show came for a drink .. as I recall the male singer gave away a few of his tapes (cassette!). There was a little old lady at our table with her husband . and she BEAMED while chatting with the singers and the Captain .. all in the Suite.

Sorry for the long-winded comments . but YES I do pre-tip especially in a Suite. Then it seems the cruise line and Steward REALLY go all out. Extra tipping in a regular cabin may not need to be as 'much' but if you expect excellent service, it certainly does not hurt. I prepare an envelope early and put a note inside saying 'this and MORE'.

Which reminds me .. gotta get that done for the QM2 trip in about a month's time!

And then I got all beat up buy a few nasty folks on how they dont need to pre tip to get good service,what a crock ---some people just like drama!! I always pre tip and over tip everywere i go in life period---29days till valor 7/31/05

Archived