Serenade of the Seas picture heavy fun review–12 day Med cruise incl DIY port trips!

Whewwww!! Took me 2 days to read your review from start to finish!! Great report. I am taking my first MSC cruise in 2 months, so looking forward to your MSC review--off to a good start. After reading this one, don't know how I'll handle the cliffhangers.:eek:

I so totally enjoyed the stories and background and meeting your family. I would go back to read your other review, but I'm getting big butt syndrome sitting here trolling cruise critic for info.

The info on Venice and Dubrovnik is very helpful. Unfortunately, I have to wait a week or two to book it as it is too far out!!:eek:

I, too, am a big planner (hence the trolling)--I have a file folder with a slot for each cruise port and pre/post cities.:rolleyes:

I'm on the Fantasia, departing from Venice and stopping in Bari, Dubrovnik, Athens, Heraklion, Marmaris, Valletta, Messina, Rome, and ending up in Genoa. All those ports in 11 (:eek:!!) days!! We have two extra days pre-cruise in Venice (at the Danieli--my husband works for Starwood resorts, so we got it for a steal), and then one night in Genoa, followed by 2 nights in Milan!

My DH is having a double knee replacement this coming Friday--giving us 8 weeks to whip his new knees into shape for the cruise:eek:. Gotta practice cracking my whip and becoming the cruel taskmaster:D

Can't wait for your next MSC installment!!

Hope you are feeling better!

Cheers! Susan

Hi Susan,

Thank you so much! I'll try to hurry up a bit in the MSC review, so I get to the actual ship stuff before you leave. I think the Fantasia must be very pretty! I'd like to sail on her one day as well. Will you consider writing a review?

Good luck for your hubby's knee surgery!

Stef

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can't wait to start reading the MSC review (I am obviously a little behind in my reading :p) Looking forward to seeing what sort of adventures you all got yourselves into, as well as some great photos of the family!

Melissa

Can't wait to start reading the MSC review (I am obviously a little behind in my reading :p) Looking forward to seeing what sort of adventures you all got yourselves into, as well as some great photos of the family!

Melissa

Yeah, hop on over there...I've missed you already!

Stef

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you great Serenade Mediterranean cruise reviewers have finally done it! I’ve been enjoying your adventures so much that I have cancelled my Serenade of the Seas cruise from New Orleans to Boston and have booked a land trip to Italy in its place.

I have borrowed some ideas from all the great reviews.

We are flying into Milan in May and going to the Worlds Expo, then renting a car (hopefully a Panda!) and driving to Venice, Ravenna, Assisi, Siena, Bologna, and then Piedmont.

I won’t be able to post a review here (no cruise ship!) but I will write a review somewhere and let you know where it is.

Keep up the great adventures and stories!

Well, you great Serenade Mediterranean cruise reviewers have finally done it! I’ve been enjoying your adventures so much that I have cancelled my Serenade of the Seas cruise from New Orleans to Boston and have booked a land trip to Italy in its place.

:eek::eek::eek: oh my God! Well -- I hope you don't return and say we all suck and you should have taken the cruise afterall .... but I don't think so. Italy is just too good to be true, so it really would be very difficult NOT to have a good time.

Too bad for the Serenade though, since that would have been fun as well...

But like you said ... can't do it all.

I hope you have a wonderful, magical and exciting trip... keep us informed where we can see the review!

Yay-- Italy!

Stef

• 1 month later...

Well, I have a funny story to tell about this review, but hesitate because I don't want you to think I am creepy-stalker woman! So keep that in mind...

I was cleaning the house for Christmas and was clearing off the dining room table, where all the paper seems to accumulate. And what did I see but a picture of Tanja!

What?!?!

I mean she is a lovely person, and I feel like you three are family after your reviews, but why is there a picture of Tanja on my table??????

I looked a the paper and it is the part of your review of the beach day in Ravenna. The first picture on that day is Tanja's happy face at seeing the beach. I had printed that whole section out, in case we decided to go to the beach when we are near Ravenna. Stef gives such clear instructions, I knew they would be helpful. We are also going to Bologna and you had some good hints on things to do there!

I do have some other sections of this review, as well as IrishCath's, MADQ, crvng4mr, Kirians, windjammers sections that will be helpful in my binder.

So, I'm not a creepy-stalker woman (I hope!) just taking some good advice!

Denise

Well, I have a funny story to tell about this review, but hesitate because I don't want you to think I am creepy-stalker woman! So keep that in mind...

I was cleaning the house for Christmas and was clearing off the dining room table, where all the paper seems to accumulate. And what did I see but a picture of Tanja!

What?!?!

I mean she is a lovely person, and I feel like you three are family after your reviews, but why is there a picture of Tanja on my table??????

I looked a the paper and it is the part of your review of the beach day in Ravenna. The first picture on that day is Tanja's happy face at seeing the beach. I had printed that whole section out, in case we decided to go to the beach when we are near Ravenna. Stef gives such clear instructions, I knew they would be helpful. We are also going to Bologna and you had some good hints on things to do there!

I do have some other sections of this review, as well as IrishCath's, MADQ, crvng4mr, Kirians, windjammers sections that will be helpful in my binder.

So, I'm not a creepy-stalker woman (I hope!) just taking some good advice!

Denise

Lol -- no worries Denise! I don't think you're one bit creepy.

I love the fact that I can tell Tanja now that she was hanging out on your table on the other side of the world:D!

How much longer till your trip? Excited yet?

I know that I am, since we just booked a last minute cruise yesterday (well 51 more days till we embark -- but in my book that's like tomorrow). Yeesh, I'm not even done with finishing the last review! And even today, acute frantic planning and review writing sort of don't go too well together. But no worries, I'll try to keep you all's daily posts coming.

Stef

Lol -- no worries Denise! I don't think you're one bit creepy.

I love the fact that I can tell Tanja now that she was hanging out on your table on the other side of the world:D!

How much longer till your trip? Excited yet?

I know that I am, since we just booked a last minute cruise yesterday (well 51 more days till we embark -- but in my book that's like tomorrow). Yeesh, I'm not even done with finishing the last review! And even today, acute frantic planning and review writing sort of don't go too well together. But no worries, I'll try to keep you all's daily posts coming.

Stef

Yah! A new cruise review to look forward too! And, yup, Tanja is famous across the world!

We leave on May 8th and I am in the panicky-I-don't-have-anything-done mode! I put everything away at Christmas, and have just pulled it all out again. I think it will all come together once I start actually working on it. We do have most of our hotels!

Have fun planning!

We leave on May 8th and I am in the panicky-I-don't-have-anything-done mode!

Have fun planning!

:DWhoohoo -- May 8th is a good day! It's Tanja's birthday.

:oRelax --I'm sure you'll get it all done in time!

:)I can't wait to read your review afterwards!

Lol -- usually I do love the planning phase ... but you know what happened to us on our last cruise ... even with over 6 month preparation ... I'm a little afraid of what I'll come up with (and which catastrophes I'll get Tanja and myself stuck in) with a mere 50 days precruise time. Gulp.

Stef

:DWhoohoo -- May 8th is a good day! It's Tanja's birthday.

Stef

My Dad's birthday is May 8th also! Goes to show, only good people are born that day!

I'm looking for a place to start a blog, so I'll be ready to review.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everybody,

for those who it might be of interest: my new review about Scotland, Northern Ireland and Ireland is finally all finished. You're more than welcome to go check it out -- lol, of course many of you have already!

I still can't believe it turned out to be 40 pages long and includes more than 900 pictures:eek::cool::eek:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2094891

:Dwhoohoo and only 31 more days till yet another cruise, this time to the Canary Islands and to Funchal, Madeira. .... oh boy , life is too good to be true sometimes.

But I'll tell you right away, that that future review will be A LOT shorter than these previous two ... too little time to plan and Tanja and I plan to enjoy some "just us two" time, where a camera would be intruding. Lol -- but no fear, I'm sure there'll still be tons of intereresting "sights" stuff left to show you guys:).

Stef

• 3 weeks later...
Enjoy your "just us two" time, it's rare when you are parents

:)Lol --AMEN to that!!!!!

11 more days and I can`t sit still anymore!!!

:oLol -- and I once again start to miss the review-writing-process ... time to experience more adventures to tell you all about:rolleyes::D.

New spreadsheet all worked out ...oh goodie, there`s so much fun stuff waiting for us ... and later on you all. Whhooohoooo!!!!!!!!

Stef

• 3 weeks later...