Serenade of the Seas picture heavy fun review–12 day Med cruise incl DIY port trips!

Hi Steff

Thanks for your review I've really enjoyed reading it over the past couple of days. I'm part of Serenades 22nd Oct group, doing the near same itinerary.

Can I ask, for day plan reasons, how long your Montserrat trip took? it's something I was thinking of doing after the cruise, as I have a late flight back to the UK (21.15!) tho' my American cruise buddy has the opposite side of the clock at, I think, 10.30!

Again thanks for sharing your familys adventures with us all.

I am truly sorry to see this review end. Great job!

Thank you! I'll write another one next summer...and it should be pretty interesting as opinions on MSC cruises vary greatly on CC. I've read horrid reviews so far...but still -- I'll make up my own mind and tell you all about it afterwards ... in epic length with pictures of course:D.

Stef

Hi Stef

We're sailing on MSC Lirica next Feb. Will write a review, but more likely to be a single post rather than the epic entertaining novels you produce!

No worries, any review is cool. Short doesn't mean bad.

Lol -- yeah, the Adventure review was 7 pages long, the Serenade one 28 pages....oh dear, I wonder how "epic" the third one will end up to be:D?

Stef

Hi Steff

Thanks for your review I've really enjoyed reading it over the past couple of days. I'm part of Serenades 22nd Oct group, doing the near same itinerary.

Can I ask, for day plan reasons, how long your Montserrat trip took? it's something I was thinking of doing after the cruise, as I have a late flight back to the UK (21.15!) tho' my American cruise buddy has the opposite side of the clock at, I think, 10.30!

Again thanks for sharing your familys adventures with us all.

Hi browneyedme,

Lol -- yet another cruiser from the infamous Oct 22nd sailing! I bet you guys will have a blast!

Thank you! You're welcome!

It was about 4-5 hour total from and to the hotel--- but only because we left early. We could have easily spent all day up there. But it's so gorgeous, that I'd say even if you're only up there for an hour (so that would be 3 -4 hours total) it's soooo worth it.

Stef

Lol -- yet another cruiser from the infamous Oct 22nd sailing! I bet you guys will have a blast!

Stef

Oh no, now the Oct 22nd sailing is "infamous" :eek::D

We do have a pretty active Roll Call which is making it extra fun. In fact, at last count (which I just posted) we have 69 people signed up to come to our informal Sail Away party. Are you sure that you, Tanja and Tarik don't want to do it all over again and join us in a couple of weeks? :D

Melissa

Oh no, now the Oct 22nd sailing is "infamous" :eek::D

We do have a pretty active Roll Call which is making it extra fun. In fact, at last count (which I just posted) we have 69 people signed up to come to our informal Sail Away party. Are you sure that you, Tanja and Tarik don't want to do it all over again and join us in a couple of weeks? :D

Melissa

Hi Melissa...saw you lurking over here!! Peggy here,also a member of the " Infamous Oct 22nd "group... Stef just wanted to add how much I've enjoyed your review and pics and can't wait to experience it firsthand. You've supplied so much info in such a fun filled review!! All the best...its been a pleasure following along!

Peggy

Hi Carol,

Thank you for following along on this thread and for a wonderful, fun time on the roll call even before the cruise! It was fun! Hope to sail with you again some day! Have fun on the Indy next summer!

...and I would still LOVE to see a review from you (especially from our Serenade cruise)...since you've got your pictures back, what's stopping you:D?

Stef

Oh no Stef...!! I could never compare to yours and Sherri's reviews :o I've thoroughly enjoyed re-living our cruise through your fabulous writing style. I'll wait patiently here for your MSC review :D

69 people signed up to come to our informal Sail Away party. Are you sure that you, Tanja and Tarik don't want to do it all over again and join us in a couple of weeks? :D

Melissa

Wow -- so many! Very cool!

Sigh, if there wouldn't be school, animals, work and money getting in the way, I'd be ready to do it all over again in a heartbeat! Hopefully one of those 69 will write a review afterwards, so I can relive it again one more time!

Have a wonderful cruise!

Stef

Oh no Stef...!! I could never compare to yours and Sherri's reviews :o I've thoroughly enjoyed re-living our cruise through your fabulous writing style. I'll wait patiently here for your MSC review :D

Lol Carol -- you COULD if you only wanted to --- but no worries.

Thank you! I'd be thrilled to see you return for my MSC review next year!

Stef

Thank you for a fantastic review. I am on the Adventure in July with my family and hope to use your posts to plan. You are great parents and loving people. Looking forward to your next review.

Hi tadleycruiser,

Thank you! Sorry I had so little pictures of the Adventure! Will she have had her refit until next July?

Stef

I have sailed on AOS twice before and think she is a great ship. I have pictures but am a novice when it comes to posting but you are such an inspiration. From your writing I would never guess you are German and your sense of humor is great. I can say that as my mum is German and I have a host of German family and not all of them have a sense of humor! Can't wait until your next review.

I have sailed on AOS twice before and think she is a great ship. I have pictures but am a novice when it comes to posting but you are such an inspiration. From your writing I would never guess you are German and your sense of humor is great. I can say that as my mum is German and I have a host of German family and not all of them have a sense of humor! Can't wait until your next review.

Hi tadleycruiser,

I like the AOS too -- but ever since experiencing the outdoor WJ on the Serenade I prefer the Radiance class:o. Thanks for the nice compliments. I know my fellow countrymen can be a little reserved (cough grumpy cough) sometimes. But we're improving as well. Nowadays you actually get greeted at the cash register in a supermarket AND be wished a good day afterwards...we've come a long way:D.

Lol -- and I can't wait till my next cruise!

All booked! Plus Allegrissimo package for us all --- that means ALL the coctails, wine, water or anything you desire all cruise long! What a deal! Whoohoo -- let the party get started!

Stef

Lol -- and I can't wait till my next cruise!

All booked! Plus Allegrissimo package for us all --- that means ALL the coctails, wine, water or anything you desire all cruise long! What a deal! Whoohoo -- let the party get started!

Stef

Congrats on booking your next cruise!!!!!! How exciting!!!

Melissa

I have thoroughly enjoyed the past four hours spent reading through the final 2/3s of your review. Thank you!

We leave in 38 days for our first Med cruise aboard the Splendour, with very similar ports to yours. I, too, have loved my past few months of obsessive planning. In the past couple of weeks, I decided that the secret itineraries tour and the third ring of the colusseum were essentials. I'm glad you validated those decisions. :)

We are Americans, and this will be my husband's first trip to Europe.

Fun fact- my parents used to live in Hannover!

Thank you again for letting us all tag along on your journey. I'll hope to do the same after our cruise. :)

Debbie

Thanks for the very informative and entertaining travelogue! A question - how much (approximately) did the train journey to Pompei cost? I see there are Metropolitana and Regionale trains. Did you take Regionale trains? And thanks for your tip about looking at trains to Sapri. Good to know how trains are posted. Any other tips about the city of Pompei?

My sisters and I will be doing the excursion to Pompei on our own. I do have your instructions on walking to the excavations - along with the picture. Thanks so much!

Edited by Tansy Mews

Just came upon your review a couple of days ago by accident and couldn't stop reading it . . . Wonderful!! Your review was made even more of a joy to read because of the obvious happiness you 3 have being together, one of life's greatest gifts.

Thanks so much for taking all of your time. I'll be waiting for your review next August, for sure!

Hello again Kreuzfahrtneuling,

I have a question for you regarding the Dubrovnik card. Now that we all know where to pick it up, could you tell me if the card itself was worth it? (aside from the fact that you spent too much time looking for that building)

If you want to walk on the famous walls (we want to since I like Game of Thrones a lot, and the winter is coming :D) it's a pretty good deal since it just costs like 2 euros more than the walls ticket price alone, and also includes transportation with the 1a / 1b buses.

So, according to the web page http://www.dubrovnikcard.com/ it also includes several museums. My questions are:

- Did you get to see those other museums? (it's a shame that naval museum closes on mondays when we are there)

- Did you have to wait for a long time to pick it up once you reached the Tourist board office at GRUŽ?

I find the card convenient since you do not need to exchange any kunas, so you skip a queue, you have the bus ticket and also you skip queueing at the walls entrance and others museums.

By the way, maybe the have read about your adventures because now the Tourist board at Gruz is correctly located on the map of their webpage. Not sure it the adress is correct, though.

Congrats on booking your next cruise!!!!!! How exciting!!!

Melissa

Hi Melissa,

Yeah, it's so cool to have a cruise to look forward to! But who am I telling this? You're about to start a FABULOUS cruise yourself pretty soon!

I'm so stoked that you're going to write a review!!! I can't wait!!!!

Stef

Hi Debbie,

I have thoroughly enjoyed the past four hours spent reading through the final 2/3s of your review.

:eek:Really? It actually takes that long to read it? Cool!:cool:

We leave in 38 days for our first Med cruise aboard the Splendour, with very similar ports to yours. I, too, have loved my past few months of obsessive planning. In the past couple of weeks, I decided that the secret itineraries tour and the third ring of the colusseum were essentials. I'm glad you validated those decisions. :)

Oh trust me -- you'll love them both!

We are Americans, and this will be my husband's first trip to Europe.

Fun fact- my parents used to live in Hannover!

I studied veterinary medicine there... and met Tanja -- the love of my life...definitely a good place:p!

Thank you again for letting us all tag along on your journey. I'll hope to do the same after our cruise. :)

Yay -- another review coming up! Whoohoo!

Stef

Thanks for the very informative and entertaining travelogue! A question - how much (approximately) did the train journey to Pompei cost? I see there are Metropolitana and Regionale trains. Did you take Regionale trains?

Hi Tansy Mews,

You're very welcome!

I think it was €2,20 per ticket, but they handed us two tickets per person and trip-- so it was actually €4,40 per person per trip and two tickets that you had to validate for each person for ONE trip.

Yes, we took Regionale trains both ways...we did want to take the Metropolitana on the way back---but it never showed up...I think the Regionale trains are a lot more reliable...plus you only ride about 20 minutes as compared to 40 minutes on the Metropolitano!...but then again ---- if you're at the station and a Metropolitano comes along by accident, I think I would jump in anyway to try it out:D. Just not wait for it and expect it to be on time!

Stef

Edited by Kreuzfahrtneuling