Serenade of the Seas picture heavy fun review–12 day Med cruise incl DIY port trips!

Just came upon your review a couple of days ago by accident and couldn't stop reading it . . . Wonderful!! Your review was made even more of a joy to read because of the obvious happiness you 3 have being together, one of life's greatest gifts.

Thanks so much for taking all of your time. I'll be waiting for your review next August, for sure!

Hi dreamer976,

:pThank you!:p

Stef

Hello again Kreuzfahrtneuling,

I have a question for you regarding the Dubrovnik card. Now that we all know where to pick it up, could you tell me if the card itself was worth it? (aside from the fact that you spent too much time looking for that building)

If you want to walk on the famous walls (we want to since I like Game of Thrones a lot, and the winter is coming :D) it's a pretty good deal since it just costs like 2 euros more than the walls ticket price alone, and also includes transportation with the 1a / 1b buses.

So, according to the web page http://www.dubrovnikcard.com/ it also includes several museums. My questions are:

- Did you get to see those other museums? (it's a shame that naval museum closes on mondays when we are there)

- Did you have to wait for a long time to pick it up once you reached the Tourist board office at GRUŽ?

Hi Elmartellama,

I think that if you're going to do Dubrovnik on your own, the Dubrovnik card is the way to go (as long as you know where to pick it up)! We didn't use our chance to see any of the museums that are included...we only walked the walls for a tiny bit and used the bus for several rides...but even that was worth it, since we didn't have to deal with exchanging ANY money!

Once we found the ticket counter (sigh!) there was no line whatsoever! It took about 10 seconds to get the cards! If we ever return to Dubrovnik via cruise ship (which I am pretty sure we will one day) we'll definitely buy the card again!

Stef

Stef your review has been amazing. We are going on Serenade next year which my teenage daughter (16)is not too happy about as she is used to Freedom or Voyager class. (she didn't even use the Flowrider or Climbing Wall on the last cruise as she was "too busy" ). Did you see a lot of teens on board ? I for one am looking forward to a different ship.

Wow -- so many! Very cool!

Sigh, if there wouldn't be school, animals, work and money getting in the way, I'd be ready to do it all over again in a heartbeat! Hopefully one of those 69 will write a review afterwards, so I can relive it again one more time!

Have a wonderful cruise!

Stef

I'll write all about it on the blog--no worries there. It is a chatty group--I bet there will be several people posting reviews :D

Stef your review has been amazing. We are going on Serenade next year which my teenage daughter (16)is not too happy about as she is used to Freedom or Voyager class. (she didn't even use the Flowrider or Climbing Wall on the last cruise as she was "too busy" ). Did you see a lot of teens on board ? I for one am looking forward to a different ship.

Hi Bizzie07,

Thank you! Glad you liked it!

Your daughter will be fine! As long as she's capable of either the English or the Spanish language...(preferrably English). The teens met the first couple of days and soon groups formed that roamed the ship. Especially at night time, the pool deck belonged to the teens. It's not an adventurous teen vacation on board, more of a European style cool, chilly hang with friends kinda thing. They seemed to enjoy this "more grown up" feeling a lot.

Our kid had some problems hooking up with others because of the language barrier and "age specific" differences. He rather hung out on his own by just playing basketball and tabletennis. ... and since this is a port intensive cruise, I believe even he was a little pooped on the seadays anyway.

Stef

I'll write all about it on the blog--no worries there. It is a chatty group--I bet there will be several people posting reviews :D

Hi Hadley,

Hooray!!! Can't wait!!!!!

PS: Sorry we decided against the Legend for next year, but Tanja and I have always wanted to see both Scotland and Ireland...so this MSC cruise out of Hamburg was just too tempting. Am looking very forward to your blog about the Norway cruise though!

Stef

Hi Hadley,

Hooray!!! Can't wait!!!!!

PS: Sorry we decided against the Legend for next year, but Tanja and I have always wanted to see both Scotland and Ireland...so this MSC cruise out of Hamburg was just too tempting. Am looking very forward to your blog about the Norway cruise though!

Stef

Stef,

I can't wait to read your MSC review. I hope you will pop onto this thread to tel us when you put it up (I don't go to that board otherwise ad would miss it!).

We haven't booked the Legend for next year. We are still watching the price, but right now it is more than we want to pay for what it is. So. you may or may not get that review, sorry!

I DO hope to have my Splendour review starting today (had to get Oktoberfest up first! That posted last night, and now I just have one more post about the Riedel glass factory before I feel I can start in on the cruise). I am fighting a bad cold, so sitting and typing, and not running errands or cleaning, is about the right speed for me today :D

Hello again Kreuzfahrtneuling,

I have a question for you regarding the Dubrovnik card. Now that we all know where to pick it up, could you tell me if the card itself was worth it? (aside from the fact that you spent too much time looking for that building)

If you want to walk on the famous walls (we want to since I like Game of Thrones a lot, and the winter is coming :D) it's a pretty good deal since it just costs like 2 euros more than the walls ticket price alone, and also includes transportation with the 1a / 1b buses.......

By the way, maybe the have read about your adventures because now the Tourist board at Gruz is correctly located on the map of their webpage. Not sure it the adress is correct, though.

We are going in mid-November on the Serenade. On the day we are going to be there, the TI by the port is closed. (Perhaps that port TI is seasonal?) We have to go to the Pile Gate location to exchange the voucher for the card. Just an FYI. Probably still worth it because we won't have to deal with Croatian currency. Have to get to Pile Gate, but I understand that's where the shuttle leaves us. Not sure if that is free or not.

Thanks again for your help with our trip, Stef.

Edited by Tansy Mews

We are going in mid-November on the Serenade. On the day we are going to be there, the TI by the port is closed. (Perhaps that port TI is seasonal?) We have to go to the Pile Gate location to exchange the voucher for the card. Just an FYI. Probably still worth it because we won't have to deal with Croatian currency. Have to get to Pile Gate, but I understand that's where the shuttle leaves us. Not sure if that is free or not.

Thanks again for your help with our trip, Stef.

Hi Tansy Mews,

I was wondering how you found out that the TI office by the port was closed on a partiular day? I was thinking of getting the Dubrovnik card for my similar cruise on the Serenade which leaves in 2 weeks (woohoo :D). After reading your post, I thought I better check to see if the office was going to be open the day we dock there. Do you have a website where I can look this up?

Thanks,

Melissa

PS - the Pile Gate is about 2 km from where the ship will likely dock. I hadn't heard that RCI or the town offered a free shuttle, but I could be wrong). Worst case, you could take the public bus to the gate. It should only cost the equivilent of Euro or two in Kunas and it's very easy to ride (and there is a stop right near the cruise terminal)... but this means you would have to excahnge some money though... but you could always use the extra Kuna to buy some gelatto :p:D

Hi Tansy Mews,

I was wondering how you found out that the TI office by the port was closed on a partiular day? I was thinking of getting the Dubrovnik card for my similar cruise on the Serenade which leaves in 2 weeks (woohoo :D). After reading your post, I thought I better check to see if the office was going to be open the day we dock there. Do you have a website where I can look this up?

Thanks,

Melissa

PS - the Pile Gate is about 2 km from where the ship will likely dock. I hadn't heard that RCI or the town offered a free shuttle, but I could be wrong). Worst case, you could take the public bus to the gate. It should only cost the equivilent of Euro or two in Kunas and it's very easy to ride (and there is a stop right near the cruise terminal)... but this means you would have to excahnge some money though... but you could always use the extra Kuna to buy some gelatto :p:D

Melissa, I noticed on my voucher there was no mention of the TI at the dock. I emailed them and got this reply.

I am sorry, I thought you were coming on Saturday in Novembar, but on Sunday it works only Tourist board office on Pile.

Address of the tourist office is Brsalje 5, Pile gate.

Dubrovnik Pile gate is the main entrance in the Dubrovnik Old Town and it's the main bus and taxi stop. Pleasant stay in Dubrovnik.

If you are visiting on another day, you should confirm first about the hours at the TI for exchanging your voucher.

Frances

Melissa, I noticed on my voucher there was no mention of the TI at the dock. I emailed them and got this reply.

I am sorry, I thought you were coming on Saturday in Novembar, but on Sunday it works only Tourist board office on Pile.

Address of the tourist office is Brsalje 5, Pile gate.

Dubrovnik Pile gate is the main entrance in the Dubrovnik Old Town and it's the main bus and taxi stop. Pleasant stay in Dubrovnik.

If you are visiting on another day, you should confirm first about the hours at the TI for exchanging your voucher.

Frances

Thanks a bunch, Frances! I will be in town on a Thursday, so I will check to see if they are open that day.

Happy sailing :)

Melissa

I can't wait to read your MSC review. I hope you will pop onto this thread to tel us when you put it up (I don't go to that board otherwise ad would miss it!).

Sure I will -- I'd hate to do a new review without some well known faces --- aehm screennames to join me. Nothing really happenin on the MSC board right now... I guess I'll be writing a pretty lonesome review there. Nobody on my new roll call yet either...bummer. Chatting with fellow cruisers before a cruise is half the fun. But I try to keep up the patience -- I've never actually booked this early before either, so I guess people might join in as time goes on.

Get well soon!

Stef

We have to go to the Pile Gate location to exchange the voucher for the card. Just an FYI. Probably still worth it because we won't have to deal with Croatian currency. Have to get to Pile Gate, but I understand that's where the shuttle leaves us. Not sure if that is free or not.

Hi Tansy Mews,

What a drag! I didn't know that they have "closed" days. I'd still go for the card though!

The shuttle bus wasn't free, but I'm not sure how much they charged for it. I'm pretty sure it was more than 5 Euros per person though. So I'd go for a taxi for 10 Euros (for all the people you can cramm in there) to get to pile gate and head back with the public bus, since then you'll finally have your day pass:). And this way you won't need to exchange Kunas afterall either.

Stef

Hi Stef

Hope you're all OK.

I've sent you a message on Facebook about your photos and wasn't sure how often you logged in so thought I'd get in touch with you through here as well :D

Carol

Hi Carol,

Lol -- I really do neglect Facebook a lot. You have a much better chance getting a hold of me here:D. But now that you wrote this I checked my facebook and found your message. Tell Liam it's okay and I'd be honored. Does he need the actual pics over email or can he just pull them out of the review? Just tell me what he needs and we'll take care of it.

Stef

Hi Carol,

Lol -- I really do neglect Facebook a lot. You have a much better chance getting a hold of me here:D. But now that you wrote this I checked my facebook and found your message. Tell Liam it's okay and I'd be honored. Does he need the actual pics over email or can he just pull them out of the review? Just tell me what he needs and we'll take care of it.

Stef

Hi Stef

That's so kind of you to give your permission - thank you. I can copy them straight from here and save as jpgs for him. I'll let you know if he gets excellent marks as a result! :D

Carol

Hi stef,

I joined the roll call for the serenade of the sea for october 22 nd and they directed me to your review. It took me a long time to read the 30 pages but it was all worth it and i wanted to say thank you so much for all the tips! Glad to see you had a wonderful trip.

Elaine

Hi stef,

I joined the roll call for the serenade of the sea for october 22 nd and they directed me to your review. It took me a long time to read the 30 pages but it was all worth it and i wanted to say thank you so much for all the tips! Glad to see you had a wonderful trip.

Elaine

Hi Elaine,

Lol -- you'll have a blast with that gang:D. I can't wait until your cruise returns and Kirian will write her review! Glad you liked the review! Have a wonderful cruise!

Stef

Hi Stef,

In a few hours, I will be off to the airport on my way to Barcelona to start this grand aventure on the Serenade of the Seas. Before I lose my wifi signal, I wanted to sincerely thank you for writing your review. It has proved extremely helpful in assisting me with planning for the same itinerary.

Because of you, I have pre-booked the Colosseum 3rd Ring tour, as well as the Secret Itineraries tour at the Doge's Palace. I also have my voucher for the Dubrovnik Card as well as a good idea of how I want to hike the trails at Cinque Terre.

You have been a Godsend!!! I promise, because of you, I will do a review on my return, as I truly hope to "pay it forward"

Again, from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU for all of the time and hard work you put into writing your review... YOU ROCK!!!

Melissa

I just had to chime in and say: I adore you, your family, your way with words. Devoured the Adventure review and came back for more.

Hmmm, I had about a million thoughts but can I remember them now?

Most all sailings I've been on have had a Friends of Dorothy get together in the disco or else just called it a GBLT event. Sorry you had such a bad Guest Services person. Most are at night in a bar. You might have had better luck had you scheduled it that way.

No need to buy the Dubrovnik card or get Croatian money - you can pay for the wall with Euros. We planned to just taxi to the wall (far gate) but found a terrific fun driver who (for a few more Euros) brought us to several EXTREMELY great views first. Walking the wall was wonderful in the off season, and I'm sorry you had such a crowded experience. We had plenty of time left to explore the old town inside the walls - GREAT!

I was gripped by the temporary loss of your son, and it reminded me of my mother in law (from Guatemala) and the time she took her 6 little kids back to her homeland. They were hiking up to some Mayan ruins and she lost one of the boys. She was frantic, and kept telling her husband "They're going to make him into a taquito!" (?) He was found, happily, at a taquito stand - but eating them, not inhabiting one.

Again, love your writing, your 'can do' approach to DIY adventures, and the kindness of you and your dear partner. I loved the photos where she's in a suit and you in a long gown, and also the 'white party' photos. True love!

Hi Stef,

In a few hours, I will be off to the airport on my way to Barcelona to start this grand aventure on the Serenade of the Seas. Before I lose my wifi signal, I wanted to sincerely thank you for writing your review. It has proved extremely helpful in assisting me with planning for the same itinerary.

Because of you, I have pre-booked the Colosseum 3rd Ring tour, as well as the Secret Itineraries tour at the Doge's Palace. I also have my voucher for the Dubrovnik Card as well as a good idea of how I want to hike the trails at Cinque Terre.

You have been a Godsend!!! I promise, because of you, I will do a review on my return, as I truly hope to "pay it forward"

Again, from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU for all of the time and hard work you put into writing your review... YOU ROCK!!!

Melissa

:p Wow :p

Gulp, what a bunch of praise. Thank you so much. Not only for the repeated praise, but also for sticking with the review and being fun to talk to. I know you can't read this right now (lol --being on this wonderful cruise is a much more brilliant way to pass your time anyway:D), but it's honestly been a pleasure having you along for the ride...and I serously can't wait until you return and start your review!!!! I sure hope everything works out and you don't come back grumpy because you didn't enjoy at least one of the things you booked because of me:eek: (ahhh, the pressure)! Sending good wishes your way! Safe travels!

Stef