Upgrading staterooms at embarkation?

guitarboy53

Is it possible with Celebrity? What has been your experience with upgrades? I am booked on a Pacific NW cruise in September and I have an assigned room. What are the chances of getting bumped to a higher category or just paying for an upgrade? Thanks!!

~Matt

Is it possible with Celebrity? What has been your experience with upgrades? I am booked on a Pacific NW cruise in September and I have an assigned room. What are the chances of getting bumped to a higher category or just paying for an upgrade? Thanks!!

~Matt

Hi Matt !

Good questions. As for being bumped up for free ? Practically no chance with Celebrity. It is rare that they give free upgrades these days.

As for paying for an upgrade, it all depends. IF there are any cabins available on the day of the sailing, you can ask when you check in. In most cases, you will need to speak with the Pier Supervisor, and they can tell you how much it will cost for an upgrade. The prices vary from sailing to sailing.

Lastly, the ships are pretty full these days. Typically, there are not many upgrades (if any) available. I always say try to be happy with what you have.... this way, you won't be disappointed if you do not get a better cabin.

Enjoy your Cruise !

I sailed on the Summit in November and the Millennium at the end of April. Both times, I was able to upgrade but there weren't a lot of cabins left. I switched from a sky suite to a royal suite and also from a concierge cabin to a royal suite. I book a cabin that I will like and then try for an upgrade at the pier.

It's a gamble but it's cheaper than booking the royal suite from the beginning. I monitored the Celebrity website before the cruise to see what was still available, and I was the first in line for the Pier Coordinator after I had checked in

My original cabins were then available for an upgrade for someone else.

I sailed on the Summit in November and the Millennium at the end of April. Both times, I was able to upgrade but there weren't a lot of cabins left. I switched from a sky suite to a royal suite and also from a concierge cabin to a royal suite. I book a cabin that I will like and then try for an upgrade at the pier.

It's a gamble but it's cheaper than booking the royal suite from the beginning. I monitored the Celebrity website before the cruise to see what was still available, and I was the first in line for the Pier Coordinator after I had checked in

My original cabins were then available for an upgrade for someone else.

If you don´t mind I´d like to ask how much the upgrade from your CC to the Royal Suite was. I´m really happy with my CC but hey I can dream;) .

We'll be on Summit again in a few weeks, southbound Alaska.

Our cruise is sold out (although I still see a couple of agencies offering tickets), so I guess an upgrade will be impossible but we'll ask anyway. Can't hurt. We got an offer we couldn't refuse with air for $300!!!

I know you always fly in the day before, but we are doing it all in one day, and Celebrity has booked us on a flight that arrives at 2:30 in Anchorage. The Seward bus leaves at 3, although the travel documents say transportation leaves about every 45 minutes. There's no way we can get our bags and on to a bus by 3! Am I to interpret this to mean Celebrity has arranged other transportation? They have provided us transfers.

Answered my own question by calling them. They do provide transportation every 45 minutes, so not to worry. Whew.

I'll leave the post as is in case anyone else has the same question.

Tell Frank hello for me.

and was told the upgrade to a Suite, (only one available) was $3100. We passed. We had an outside triple, with porthole. Forward, deck 6. It was fine, except for some SERIOUS noise (and some rocking) during a storm yesterday morning sailing home from Bermuda and again this morning (serious noise) upon docking at Cape Liberty at 5:30 a.m. Not a great wakeup call!

~Matt

Arrive at the pier early enough that you'll be one of the earliest to check in and see the Pier Coordinator. This person will likely be at one far end or the other of the row of folks checking everyone in. You'll want to start there rather than one of the regular desks.

IF cabins are available for upgrade, you may be able to "buy up", although the rate may be the same as the current retail difference. The Coordinator seems to have a price sheet there at the desk to work from that is specific to a given cruise.

Bumped? The Upgrade Fairy is a strange and wonderful beast. Appears at odd times for no apparent reason. Doesn't seem to matter what category cabin you've booked, your status with Celebrity, or much else. It seems to be rare that she makes herself seen these days, though.

Arrive at the pier early enough that you'll be one of the earliest to check in and see the Pier Coordinator. This person will likely be at one far end or the other of the row of folks checking everyone in. You'll want to start there rather than one of the regular desks.

IF cabins are available for upgrade, you may be able to "buy up", although the rate may be the same as the current retail difference. The Coordinator seems to have a price sheet there at the desk to work from that is specific to a given cruise.

Bumped? The Upgrade Fairy is a strange and wonderful beast. Appears at odd times for no apparent reason. Doesn't seem to matter what category cabin you've booked, your status with Celebrity, or much else. It seems to be rare that she makes herself seen these days, though.

Hi Canderson !

Everything you said was excellent advice. One thing..... the Upgrade Fairy at Celebrity ??? I think she quit a long time ago <Smile>.

Hi Canderson !

Everything you said was excellent advice. One thing..... the Upgrade Fairy at Celebrity ??? I think she quit a long time ago <Smile>.

We have yet to be introduced, but one hears the odd anecdotal evidence from the rare Celebrity cruiser that she's still alive and kicking, just a bit of recluse in her old age.

Madforcruising - Sorry I took so long to answer. For my upgrade from a Sky Suite to a Royal Suite on the Summit, the cost was $600 total (or $300 per person). For the upgrade from a Concierge Class to a Royal Suite on the Millennium, the cost was $1100 total (or $550 per person). What was even better was that I had originally paid for a 1A cabin which was converted to a CC before we sailed.

Both times, the cost at embarkation was much less than what I would have paid if I had booked the RS from the beginning. It was well worth it to me to have the extra room and the butler.

Hi Andy! The upgrade fairy surprised us in March for our ten day Horizon trip. We were bumped up to a Concierge Class cabin from an inside guarantee! :D :) It really spoiled us... I kept expecting those afternoon snacks and longed for the more vaired CC room service menu in the oceanview cabin we had last week on the Bermuda sailing!

On Friday, I sail on the Mercury to Alaska and I have one of the bow oceanview corner cabins. I am quite excited about that... but if the upgrade fairy wants to appear again and offer a balcony, it would be the icing on the cake!:D

Madforcruising - Sorry I took so long to answer. For my upgrade from a Sky Suite to a Royal Suite on the Summit, the cost was $600 total (or $300 per person). For the upgrade from a Concierge Class to a Royal Suite on the Millennium, the cost was $1100 total (or $550 per person). What was even better was that I had originally paid for a 1A cabin which was converted to a CC before we sailed.

Both times, the cost at embarkation was much less than what I would have paid if I had booked the RS from the beginning. It was well worth it to me to have the extra room and the butler.

Thanks for the information. At the moment our cruise is fully booked, but who knows what happens after final payment due date. One can dream:)

You really can't tell this far out, especially if the final payment dated hasn't, as yet, passed. Some people wait up until the payment is due before they cancel.

Good luck. Anything is possible. It really depends upon the popularity of the cruise.

Patricia

Archived