Have you heard of "Evans"?

Tweedy

"Evans" is the plus size shop of TopShop, I believe. Has anyone purchased clothing from them, uk or stateside? I'm curious about the quality of clothes. They have a couple of maxi dresses that look really nice on the site and would be great for cruising.

"Evans" is the plus size shop of TopShop, I believe. Has anyone purchased clothing from them, uk or stateside? I'm curious about the quality of clothes. They have a couple of maxi dresses that look really nice on the site and would be great for cruising.

It is on every UK high street and I suppose is a version of Lane Bryant but the quality is maybe not the same.

It is somewhat overpriced for what it is too but it provides very large plus sizes which the main stream stores do not so it does OK. Some seasons their collections are good, trendy etc, and then next season it is frumpy and drab.

Thanks for the input. We don't have "Evans" in Canada. I saw a couple of maxi dresses I liked but without knowing the quality of the product, it's a tough decision whether I want to fork out the money.

I buy a lot of stuff from them. Certainly in UK/IE the quality can be hit and miss. I've never had a problem with a dress from them, but I've had one or two t-shirty tops where the side seams aren't 100% straight, so the top always feels slightly twisted. Most things with buttons come with spares, but I often resew the buttons myself on first purchase, as they seem to fall off alarmingly often.

I think they're overly reliant on tie backs to create a shape for the dress, rather than just having things nicely cut and shaped.

I think I'm damning them with faint praise. I have relatively few options for clothes buying, so end up having to buy a lot of stuff in Evans, and I always feel a little hard done by afterwards. In the interest of fairness, I detest clothes shopping, so that may be connected!

I think I'm damning them with faint praise. I have relatively few options for clothes buying, so end up having to buy a lot of stuff in Evans, and I always feel a little hard done by afterwards. In the interest of fairness, I detest clothes shopping, so that may be connected!

Thanks for your firsthand input. Maybe I will give them a shot. If I do, I'll post my opinion on the quality vs cost. :)

The quality isn't as good as Laura Plus or even Addition-Elle. More like Pennington's. I have one casual blouse from Evans, and it requires a safety pin because the buttons undo. Compare that with the fact that I'm still wearing a couple of tops I bought at Addition-Elle 10 years ago...

I don't shop in Evans, but it's part of the same group as the non-plus-size store Dorothy Perkins, so I assume around the same quality. If so, then I can agree that the quality is hit and miss- some Dorothy Perkins clothes I have are really nice, but some I have taken back as they looked very cheap when they arrived. I do walk past an Evans often and they seem to have nice shoes in larger sizes and with wide fittings, and they look nice quality!

• 2 weeks later...
May be a little bit late, but there's a 20% discount on Evans.co.uk today (valid until presumably midnight tonight UK time) - enter GIFTAUGUST at the checkout. Hope that's of some use to someone!

Nope, not to late for me. I signed up for the newsletter and have been receiving discount offers since. Thanks for posting it for others. :)

Archived