Why no life guards??

hladygirl

The question really is not what a cc member is willing to pay - the question is what the cc member is willing to require every other cruiser to pay for lifeguards on all cruise ships, many of which do not cater to large numbers of children.

Which cruise line is that? I have been on Carnival, Celebrity, HAL, Princess, Royal Caribbean and NCL and been on sailings of each with loads of children. The only two with a small number of children I have been on are Azamara and Cunard. Those last two are not a good choice for bringing children as they lack childrens amenities.

In any case it would be the cruise line paying for lifeguards, not CC members. Whether the cruise lines choose to pass the cost to us is up to them.

We would not be paying for a lifeguard. The cruise line would be paying. Whether the cruise line would increase the cruise fare, absorb the cost out of profits or cut back some other area is up to them.

The cruise line should hire lifeguards as part of the general safety of all passengers, not just small children. They should also enforce pool rules (and pool etiquette).

And in the end, all passengers would pay in one way or another. Either a rise in fares or a decrease in service in another area. So everyone pays, because the cruise lines is not going to pay for it out of their profits.

We would not be paying for a lifeguard. The cruise line would be paying. Whether the cruise line would increase the cruise fare, absorb the cost out of profits or cut back some other area is up to them.

The cruise line should hire lifeguards as part of the general safety of all passengers, not just small children. They should also enforce pool rules (and pool etiquette).

Uhhh no

Customers pay all the bills.

The problem with having a lifeguard is the tacit acceptance of liability on the company's part. The costs associated with THAT would put things out of reach.

They should NOT have lifeguards.

That's a start. How do you propose to keep them out of the main pool / deck ? ( very ambitious IMO)

By not using the pool deck at all while on board if the parent thinks it is such a danger zone that is beyond their ability to control their children properly.

And i'm HOPING that any child that should need this type of supervision wouldn't have randomly wandered off so far from parental supervision as to find their way up or down stairs or an elevator to the pool then climb in and fall in. A lot of things to align in that scenario....

Also may be an indicator a cruise is not the right vacation for you and your family quite yet.

Use other amenities and alternate elevators to bypass when needed.

In any case it would be the cruise line paying for lifeguards, not CC members. Whether the cruise lines choose to pass the cost to us is up to them.

This lack of business acumen is why the country is in it's present condition.

Businesses pass ALL cots to customers.

Businesses don't pay taxes, salaries or fees. Customers do.

Uhhh no

Customers pay all the bills.

The problem with having a lifeguard is the tacit acceptance of liability on the company's part. The costs associated with THAT would put things out of reach.

They should NOT have lifeguards.

Disney cruiselines has hired Lifeguards. The gate has been opened.

And in the end, all passengers would pay in one way or another. Either a rise in fares or a decrease in service in another area. So everyone pays, because the cruise lines is not going to pay for it out of their profits.

Profits rise and fall depending on a lot of factors. Cruise price is dependent on supply and demand. Increased costs of doing business could come out profits without effecting cruise price. It is not a given that they would decrease service in another area. That could result in a loss of customers. It is not a given that they could pass that cost on.

I agree. I also think there should be crossing guards posted on every corner on every street in this country. Do you know how many people are hit by cars every year?

And we should also post a safety monitor in all restrooms, public and private. Do you know how many people are hurt or killed in restroom accidents. I bet it is a lot!

Sure, it will be costly, but Obama can just print up some more money to pay for it and think about how many jobs he can say he created.....

LOVE this. Love love love. Life is dangerous. Everyday you're closer to death!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Disney cruiselines has hired Lifeguards. The gate has been opened.

And Disney cruises are much more expensive too. I agree with the previous poster who stated they would be willing to pay zero, zip, nada!! I don't think lifeguards are needed on cruise ships. The death on the Breakaway may have been prevented with guardian supervision....that's what it all boils down to.

I agree with the person that said there should be a type of muster station presentation for those with children, say under the age of 10. It should be done in each and every language that the passengers speak and should go over all the safety hazzards for children on a ship. This way no one can say they didn't know. This would (1) hopefully help with the safety of the children on board and (2) protect NCL from any liabilities. It should go over not only pool safety, but go over issues of leaving a young child unattended and the hazzards; such as, falling overboard, sexual predators, etc. And while they are at it, do a section on why children should not use their hands to pick up food at the buffet.

This is also a great suggestion. Assign them all to muster in the Theater, or celebrity central if the group is small, then after the normal muster, it's simple to keep them there to continue on with the above information.

However the suggestion for each and every language is not possible you never will always have staff that speaks all languages. But do best as possible.

Maybe also explain the muster station they would usually use for their cabin assignment and print both on the sea pass card. Adults should understand how to find it, and kids will either be with the kids staff or parents and can get to it as well.

Edited by cle-guy

So what would you cc members be willing to pay for a lifeguard or other measure to keep the kids safe at the pools? I am looking for $ or cents per day or per week. Let the cruiselines worry about the liability issues or they can call Disney cruiseline and get the facts and cost on that.

Per cruiser what is the extra cost that you are willing to spend to decrease the number and hopefully eliminate drownings and near drownings of small children on cruiseships? For sure $20 per week would not phase me in the least and I would go significantly higher than that. Where would you draw the line $0, $3.50, $7, $10, $20, $25, $50???? Per week.

An army of guards ?

Just on NCL Dawn .

Main pool .

The little pool behind the main pool .

4 hot tubs in that area.

Forward hot tub on deck 13.

Vista Garden Villa hot tub.

Horizon Garden Villa hot tub.

Spa pool.

Spa hot tub.

Splash down kids pool.

The 2 water feature in the atrium.

And the pier at most ports .

All or none ??

Edited by biker@sea

Charge families traveling with children a daily service charge to pay for the lifeguard. This may help the innocent children who board a ship and become instant orphans a chance around the pools. Will this prevent this from happening again, probably not, but it may save someone. Before I'm attacked we cruise with our four children, 90% of the time. Although while on the ship we become instant parents to a few more. I guess I shouldn't complain, as long as my dh and I watch their kids, their "responsible" guardian can enjoy their vacation soaking up the sun.

I agree with the person that said there should be a type of muster station presentation for those with children, say under the age of 10. It should be done in each and every language that the passengers speak and should go over all the safety hazzards for children on a ship. This way no one can say they didn't know. This would (1) hopefully help with the safety of the children on board and (2) protect NCL from any liabilities. It should go over not only pool safety, but go over issues of leaving a young child unattended and the hazzards; such as, falling overboard, sexual predators, etc. And while they are at it, do a section on why children should not use their hands to pick up food at the buffet.

What ever happened to common sense? What would this accomplish? People who allow their children in a pool should know 1. If their child can swim. 2. Their child's swimming abilities/limitations.

Life guards would not change whether or not a parent lets their child go in a pool alone or wander a ship alone.

Why should a cruise line have to supply a class on the dangers of life ? Either parents are aware and don't care or are aware and are already watching their children.

That's a start. How do you propose to keep them out of the main pool / deck ? ( very ambitious IMO)

My opinion? If parents cannot be parents (and the facts seem to suggest that) do not permit children under age 10 on the cruise. Or require them to be part of the kids club. That will keep them out of the main pool / deck. That is a far better alternative than having lifeguards.

And on my future cruises, I will be telling kids to get out of the adult areas and, if needed, informing their parents in pointed words that they are being negligent. I would rather be the "get off my grass" man than have someone die.

And so you know. I raised 4 kids and two were certified lifeguard instructors. They trained people to become lifeguards for both Ellis and Red Cross. My opinion is having life guards on cruise ships is a huge mistake.

An army of guards ?

Just on NCL Dawn .

Main pool .

The little pool behind the main pool .

4 hot tubs in that area.

Forward hot tub on deck 13.

Vista Garden Villa hot tub.

Horizon Garden Villa hot tub.

Spa pool.

Spa hot tub.

Splash down kids pool.

The 2 water feature in the atrium.

And the pier at most ports .

All or none ??

Excellent point!!!! How many guards would concurrently be needed to be paid on most ships? 5? 8? Or should we just have the parents actually parent?

So what would you cc members be willing to pay for a lifeguard or other measure to keep the kids safe at the pools? I am looking for $ or cents per day or per week. Let the cruiselines worry about the liability issues or they can call Disney cruiseline and get the facts and cost on that.

Per cruiser what is the extra cost that you are willing to spend to decrease the number and hopefully eliminate drownings and near drownings of small children on cruiseships? For sure $20 per week would not phase me in the least and I would go significantly higher than that. Where would you draw the line $0, $3.50, $7, $10, $20, $25, $50???? Per week.

I am not willing to pay Disney prices....and I hope that no other cruiselines start this lifeguard lunacy. A tiny - $2 or so per cruiser- could pay for a few kid security staff like Princess has. Notice that families don't seem to flock to Princess - their kids have a curfew at night...they are NOT permitted in adult areas, they are stopped from riding the elevators pushing all buttons, stopped from acting stupid around the pool, running, no pizza throwing no nonsense. They have a security staff that wears different color shirts...I believe they are (cheaper/less combat trained) than the security normally employed on ships which tend to be Ghurkas from India and Israeli Security (that is what MSC has)...

the staff on Princess only deals with the kids....and their parents. My friend loves Princess but her daughters and grandkids not so much. Some people like the laizzez faire attitude found on Carnival and to a lesser degree NCL.

When Kid security brought their 13 year old back to the cabin at 1 am

and next time paged the mother -sternly "warned" her she was not happy.

The kid security is nice (I think) but they do not have to be too nice - they don't get tips. They speak English (Aussies? Brits?)

They are young men in their 20's and they patrol just for kids

I would hate to see another tragedy and then see a cruiseline hit with huge lawsuits due to lifeguard liability. I don't want to pay for that sorry

I also really don't see why I would have to have pool hours etc shortened to pay for life guards

Prevent the tragedy by making the parents accountable....maybe reduce the number of pools kids can be in ....put in splash parks etc for the small ones....have some "kid security" enforce it all.....ban a couple families fromt he pool and watch how others will finally see the light JMO

Excellent point!!!! How many guards would concurrently be needed to be paid on most ships? 5? 8? Or should we just have the parents actually parent?

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but another factor is there is only so much room for housing crew members, if they hire 5 life guards then they would have to reduce somewhere else (eg. fewer waiters, or room stewards, etc).

I am not willing to pay Disney prices....and I hope that no other cruiselines start this lifeguard lunacy. A tiny - $2 or so per cruiser- could pay for a few kid security staff like Princess has. Notice that families don't seem to flock to Princess - their kids have a curfew at night...they are NOT permitted in adult areas, they are stopped from riding the elevators pushing all buttons, stopped from acting stupid around the pool, running, no pizza throwing no nonsense. They have a security staff that wears different color shirts...I believe they are (cheaper/less combat trained) than the security normally employed on ships which tend to be Ghurkas from India and Israeli Security (that is what MSC has)...

the staff on Princess only deals with the kids....and their parents. My friend loves Princess but her daughters and grandkids not so much. Some people like the laizzez faire attitude found on Carnival and to a lesser degree NCL.

The kid security is nice (I think) but they do not have to be too nice - they don't get tips. They speak English (Aussies? Brits?)

I would hate to see another tragedy and then see a cruiseline hit with huge lawsuits due to lifeguard liability. I don't want to pay for that sorry

I also really don't see why I would have to have pool hours etc shortened to pay for life guards

Prevent the tragedy by making the parents accountable....maybe reduce the number of pools kids can be in ....put in splash parks etc for the small ones....have some "kid security" enforce it all.....ban a couple families fromt he pool and watch how others will finally see the light JMO

As much as we love cruising with our kids, I've often thought maybe cruiselines should be adults only. When i joined the message boards years ago, I was upset with the people who seemed to always "pick on families". Well, several cruises later, I shifted sides. It maddens me when we see several young kids alone everywhere in the ship. Danger is around every corner, and regardless of people's opinions ships are not childproofed. We were on the Dawn seven years ago, when an alarm code was announced. Turned out they thought "something" had managed to make it overboard. We watched the "responsible" parents in a state of panic, why, they had no idea where their children were. We had no worries, because we were playing shuffleboard with ours. Guess who, five hours later,could not have told you where their kids were. The same so called responsible parents that had been in a panic. I judge because I'm tired of people coming up with excuses for lazy parents who feel the world is responsible for their kids. A lifeguard would not solve this problem, however, raising the cost may convince people to cruise without the kids, or not cruise at all. I don't care if whomever was watching those boys looked away for a moment. They should have been in the water with them, period. People need to quit feeling sorry for the adult who decided something else was more important then going with the boys INTO the water. This was 100% preventable.

What ever happened to common sense? What would this accomplish? People who allow their children in a pool should know 1. If their child can swim. 2. Their child's swimming abilities/limitations.

Life guards would not change whether or not a parent lets their child go in a pool alone or wander a ship alone.

Why should a cruise line have to supply a class on the dangers of life ? Either parents are aware and don't care or are aware and are already watching their children.

Lifeguards and security is what I proposed. Parents that leave their small kids need a visit by security. Some kids need protection from their parents it seems.

$2 a day or a week. You said you wouldnt want to pay a lot of money. The money could be used for "working" security tht kicks an unaccompanied kid out of the pool. I am open to options. I want parents to be accountable but mostly I want children to be safe.