Why no life guards??

hladygirl

Because unfortunately there are too many irresponsible parents. Parents who would drop their kids off at the pool and then go sit at a bar assuming someone else is watching their kids. And the responsible parents, who are watching their kids, end up not being able to enjoy the time with their children because of all the unsupervised kids.

That's why.

Which cruiseline honcho told you that? Most others are saying that they don't have lifeguards because they would have more liability. I would have never guessed that the reason cruiselines don't have lifeguards is because there are too many irresponsible parents.

Which cruiseline honcho told you that? Most others are saying that they don't have lifeguards because they would have more liability. I would have never guessed that the reason cruiselines don't have lifeguards is because there are too many irresponsible parents.

Well, they go hand in hand don't you think? If there are lifeguards then parents will be able to say "the lifeguards weren't watching my child." Reminds me of an insurance agent many years ago who told my in-laws to never put a "beware of dog" sign in front of their house. You are basically telling people that your dog is dangerous. Same with putting lifeguards at the pool. Some parents (not all) assume watching their child at the pool is now someone else's responsibility.

I don't know any cruise line honchos. Just my own observations. I have children and grandchildren. So I am in no way anti-kids on a cruise. But I am all about parents being responsible for their own children and no one else.

Well, they go hand in hand don't you think? If there are lifeguards then parents will be able to say "the lifeguards weren't watching my child." Reminds me of an insurance agent many years ago who told my in-laws to never put a "beware of dog" sign in front of their house. You are basically telling people that your dog is dangerous. Same with putting lifeguards at the pool. Some parents (not all) assume watching their child at the pool is now someone else's responsibility.

I don't know any cruise line honchos. Just my own observations. I have children and grandchildren. So I am in no way anti-kids on a cruise. But I am all about parents being responsible for their own children and no one else.

Not a grandma yet but mine are nearly adults and I watched them like a hawk. It was my responsibility and my joy. I don't know what the answer is. I just don't want to read another story or heaven forbid see a lifeless child being pulled from the bottom of the pool.

At our local Y there were lifeguards and a policy that parents needed to be in the pool and within arms reach of their non or poor swimming children. Perhaps that is what needs to be done on cruiseships. I don't think that lifeguards should replace parents but instead act as a back-up. Everyone needs someone to have their back on occasion.:) If lifeguards are at the pool they would have the power to "kick" out unsupervised children. This would help keep the kids safe and help other parents enjoy their time swimming with their own children.

I hope this never happens to another child again. But these two children were too young to be unsupervised in a crowded area of a cruise ship pool. I don't know how a lifeguard could possibly know which children are supervised and which are not. Nothing can substitute for a parent's watchful eyes. That's really what it comes down to. Own it. Be responsible. Take care of your own. These babies are angels now. I pray that their parents will find peace.

We feel that cruise ships should have lifeguards at all pools where young children are allowed to swim. There need to be people who will enforce pool rules and can be identified (in orange) for others to speak with in case of dangerous situations.

We also feel that young children should always be with their caretakers. As a teacher and summer camp lifeguard, "young children" to me means any child under high school age. Parental guidance is important on a huge ship with many possible dangers- not just unattended pools. Too many people are not tending to their children and that is not fair to the child.

Having lifeguards will not prevent every accident, but it may deter many. Certainly it is not too much to ask for a few lifeguards near a family pool.

And certainly it is not asking too much to have parents mind their children at all times, except when the children are in the ship's childcare programs.

It is just too sad for all when young children die in preventable accidents.

If parents are minding their children at the family pool, there would be no need for lifeguards.

Too bad kids can't chose their "Lifeguard a/k/a Parent", and by the grace of god go I (so far). Some kids need some help from others. Perhaps fencing in or providing lifeguards is the most effective way to help keep them safe around pools on a ship.

No the most effective way to keep them safe around the pool is to have the parents supervise their children.

Not sarcasm at all. The size of a pool on a ship is quite small and is easily supervised by the parent of the child. The same cannot be said for many public pools.

But if you are with your child why would the size of the pool matter?

Actually I think you would find the vast majority of parents would be supervising their children.

I would hope so. I know that there are more ships and bigger ships than before and perhaps that is why there are more drownings and near drownings but still open pools and small children just don't go well together. If I have a pool in my backyard it would need to be fenced and gated. The kids in my neighborhood should be supervised to.

Saw articles about this tragedy and it got me thinking

there is a "middle ground" solution that would probably be effective and still not open the cruise line to the liability of lawsuits due to lifeguard "responsibility" and/or hamper the pool (like short hours, clear the deck for lifeguard etc)

In fact - it is already on Princess - which is why you do not see all that many families wild about Princess LOL - they have a "youth security" staff and curfews and they actually enforce the adult only etc rules.

NCL ...and oh yes Carnival....both encourage the family fun , parents get lax, no one hauls the kids out of hot tubs where they don't belong. Kids are running around day and night, messing in the elevators etc

IMHO a good "youth security" staff would solve many problems.

They won't worry about tips - they can also ban a family from the pools if they continue to allow their kids there unsupervised.

I am sure the kids don't love Princess as much LOL>> a friend of mine went with her daughters/grandkids and they hated the "rules" and being told to get out of areas...etc ..oh well too bad. On carnival and ncl they could run wild wild wild...not so on Princess

This recent Breakaway is a tragedy but 4 years old?? OMG so sad

The youth security idea sounds very good. It is in the children's and cruise lines' best interest to have such a program.

We also will continue to ask for lifeguards at pools where young children swim. It can be made clear that all children be accompanied by an adult.

Disney implemented a lifeguard program-why not other lines?

It is very important for cruisers to have someone to talk with (a lifeguard or security person) if unruly behavior is noticed by the family pool or children are in whirlpools without adults.

Trained lifeguards could be called security staff. They would enforce the ship's rules around the pools. This would be a positive for the cruise lines, IMHO,

Most ship pools are drained at night or have a net covering them. Hiring enough lifeguards would definitely be challenging. Perhaps fencing in the pools and using a key entery system and security person at the gate would be a better choice. It would probably be cheaper in the long run as well. A little unsightly to say the least but definitely something that needs to be considered at least IMHO.

Been on 7 NCL cruises and I have walked past the main pools on deck at night.

They are definitely not drained nor fenced in. In fact, I have seen the hot tub populated til 10 pm and people still swimming in the main pool although they are warned not to do so at night.

There is no common sense among a large segment of cruisers, although there is a large sense of entitlement. And telling them that they have to obey the rules can get you a knuckle sandwich

We been on ten cruises with our girls. We've had lifeguards every single cruise, it's called PARENTING. If our kids are swimming we are with them in the pool. Sure, it makes for a different type of vacation, but if we are in the mood for an adult vacation, we leave our dd's at home. I'm one of the cruel ones, as I feel sorry for the innocent children that are left to vacation on their own. Ships are dangerous, and kids need supervised 100% of the time.

I would hope so. I know that there are more ships and bigger ships than before and perhaps that is why there are more drownings and near drownings but still open pools and small children just don't go well together. If I have a pool in my backyard it would need to be fenced and gated. The kids in my neighborhood should be supervised to.

Would you have a lifeguard at your backyard pool?

...and who should do that supervising?

...and who should do that supervising?

That is my point. Even though the children should be supervised by a parent, babysitter, grandmother ect, a pool in my backyard on my private property must be fenced and gated. Unlike a cruiseship the child has no business in my yard with out my permission. Children are not allowed in the cruiseship pool unsupervised either but there is no fence around it keeping them out. I realize children should be supervised on a ship, in their home, at the park and everywhere.

I don't mean to be rude but are you just joking around with me?

No, not at all. For a fence to be effective at keepping people out of a pool, it should be a minimum of 6 feet high. I don't see that happening on a ship.

Edited by declansdad