I'm Freaking Out!!/Luau's

timsbabe

Okay, I know this may sound wierd to a lot of people, but I am deathly afraid of birds and I have seen some peoples pics of Luaus, particularly Smith Family Luau, and I see chickens roaming all over the place! Is there another Luau one can recommend that is less "bird insfested"???

You are afraid of birds and you are going to Hawaii??? There are going to be chickens running wild EVERYWHERE in Hawaii, not just at a luau. And there are a lot of pigeons and sea gulls all over the place too.

Why are you afraid of birds?

No chickens at the Feast at Lele on Maui ... in fact, I don't remember encountering chickens on the BI or Maui during our 4 weeks there this spring. Saw a few nene birds during our hikes, but they are more afraid of you than you should be of them.

Kauai has more than it's share of chickens, but even there, I don't remember them being a problem, other than having to avoid running over the occasional one while we were driving.

You are afraid of birds and you are going to Hawaii??? There are going to be chickens running wild EVERYWHERE in Hawaii, not just at a luau. And there are a lot of pigeons and sea gulls all over the place too.

Why are you afraid of birds?

I was traumatized as a child an never got over the fear! As long as they don't fly near me I'm okay with seeing them from afar, but I never thought of Hawaii as a place for a lot of Pigeons. I guess we'll have to see what happens. I'll either conquer the fear or have a miserable time!

No chickens at the Feast at Lele on Maui ... in fact, I don't remember encountering chickens on the BI or Maui during our 4 weeks there this spring. Saw a few nene birds during our hikes, but they are more afraid of you than you should be of them.

Kauai has more than it's share of chickens, but even there, I don't remember them being a problem, other than having to avoid running over the occasional one while we were driving.

Thanks for your suggestion! That was one that was on our short list!

I was traumatized as a child an never got over the fear! As long as they don't fly near me I'm okay with seeing them from afar, but I never thought of Hawaii as a place for a lot of Pigeons. I guess we'll have to see what happens. I'll either conquer the fear or have a miserable time!

Sorry to hear that, it must be very difficult for you.

If you can stay away from parks or open grassy areas, (that seems to be where they congregate) the most. Oh yeah, walking on the beach won't be a good idea either.

I think I've heard that the Feast at Lele isn't your typical luau, more of a personal show with dinner included.

Guess I frequented different spots than Susan-M, we actually had pigeons land on the railing at Moose McGillycuddy's in downtown Lahaina Maui. We ate breakfast there every morning (kind of an open air restaurant). And the Kahili Golf Course had lots of cranes, egrets, ducks and pigeons while we were lunching at their restaurant overlooking the course. And even the lawns at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel had a few birds landing now and then. And we found the ceramic Koi fish in the water fountains at Whaler's Village a trip, especially when the locals said they were ceramic so the birds couldn't swoop down and get them.

If time allows, you might try the Kilohana Plantation Luau on Kauai

http://www.kilohanakauai.com/wp/index.php/plantation-activities/

I hope you have a really great trip!

Archived