could I request a fridge in my cabin for insuline?

Capitan Morgan

I will be going in the Ecstasy August 26. My stateroom has balcony but no fridge in the room. I will be needing a little fridge to keep the insuline for my sister that she is diabetic. How I must go about it? Should I request it with my PVP or the steward or go to medical center?

I will be going in the Ecstasy August 26. My stateroom has balcony but no fridge in the room. I will be needing a little fridge to keep the insuline for my sister that she is diabetic. How I must go about it? Should I request it with my PVP or the steward or go to medical center?

This is often misunderstood as related to insulin storage:

Insulin is fine to be kept at room temperature and does NOT need to be refrigerated unless the vial is opened more than 30 days.

In years past, that was not always the case and it was kept refrigerated. (I have been a nurse a long time! :o )

true, but from what i read on the boards, those fridges do not keep things cold wnough and i believe keeping insulin really cold is very important so it doesnt spoil. How about taking a small cooler in which the steward can keep ice in it?

Insulin is fine to be kept at room temperature and does NOT need to be refrigerated unless the vial is opened more than 30 days.

In years past, that was not always the case and it was kept refrigerated. (I have been a nurse a long time! :o )

My sister doesn't live in the USA and as far as I know she says that she keep her insuline in the fridge, so I have to go with that info

I don't think that the Ectasy cabins have refrigerators and I doubt that moving one in will be an option (there's just no room!). I might suggest contacting the Special Needs department. I'm sure they've dealt with this before and can recommend a solution.

Happy Cruising!

I don't recall the name, but there's one that does require refrigeration. It might be Lantus? Other than that one, it's true about room temperature once open.

Why not keep the bottle on ice?

This is from Carnival FAQ. http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_88

Diabetes/Medicine Storage

Staterooms are equipped with mini bars which are designed to maintain the temperature of beverages. Please do not use them to store medications that have specific temperature requirements. Should you need to store medicine that needs proper refrigeration, portable refrigerators are available onboard in limited quantities, and on a first come, first serve basis. If a portable refrigerators is unavailable, our ships Medical Center will arrange storage, please contact them once onboard.

So either ask for a refrigerator (I would do this in advance through special needs) or it will have to be stored in the Medical Center.

I would have your sister ask her pharmacist about the refrigeration requirements. Many things have changed over the years and she may be doing this out of habit rather then necessity.

I don't think that the Ectasy cabins have refrigerators and I doubt that moving one in will be an option (there's just no room!). I might suggest contacting the Special Needs department. I'm sure they've dealt with this before and can recommend a solution.

Happy Cruising!

They will bring a small fridge to your cabin. I know this because we get one every cruise for the ol'mans med's. It will slide right under your desk thingy. You ask your steward so he has a heads up. Then you will stop at guest services & ask them. It is the same on all of the ships we have been on. Some stewards doesn't ask you to go to the guest services it depends on the luck of the draw. But do it as soon as you get to your cabin as they go fast :)

The ship probably have a few refrigerators available, but they take up space and generate noise and heat.

Not quite true, we have never heard ours kick on or off. As far as heat no & they take up almost know space. In fact gives you a little more room to sit things on. Larry keeps his machine & what not on ours. But can be pushed all the way under the desk thingy & you would never know it was there.:D

Exactly

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sailed with my dad on the Fantasy in 2006 on his one and only cruise and the special needs department provided him with a refrigerator for insulin and a sharps container for needles. They also provided him with transportation to and from his dialysis appointment in Grand Turk. They were wonderful. I definitely recommend contacting them.

My mom needs to keep her shot for MS chilled and I know we do have mini fridges in our balcony rooms on the Conquest. Can she still request a real mini fridge and if they have one, would they remove the other one or would she have to find a place to put it?

This is pretty important to get right. The cold insulin is so the proteins don't degrade before it's used.

Some of the replies below are correct, some partly right, some not at all, so to summarize: on the manufacturer's boxes, my Lantus and Kwikpen (Humalog) pens state that they must be kept between 36-46 degrees F BEFORE they are opened (that is, from the time they are picked up at the pharmacy where they have been refrigerated). Once an individual pen is opened, it should not be refrigerated. These can be used for up to 28 days. So if she has an open, partially-filled pen but will be needing to open another during the trip, that second one must still be kept cold.

Therefore, for pens that aren't opened yet, the cabin's minifridge will not do--it doesn't keep items that cold. That's why you need to contact guest services. (FYI, in my experience, those FRIO packets with crystals that you soak in water don't keep it sufficiently cold either--just "cool" enough to guard against letting it get over 89 degrees F.)

Further, some folks still actually do use the old bottle and syringe method of injecting insulin (like my FIL). And this insulin goes bad after 28 days of storage at room temp, whether opened or not, so if she needs a second bottle, that one will also need to be stored cold. Go to diabetes dot org for more info.

My dad also requires insulin to be kept cold. Last December on the Sensation our room didn't have a mini fridge. When we arrived we told our cabin steward...he said that all the mini fridges that they had on stock were accounted for. He brought a Coleman cooler to our cabin to keep the insulin cold.....he changed the ice twice a day. It was so convenient having a full cooler of ice on hand....kept the insulin and drinks cold....hehe

Not quite true, we have never heard ours kick on or off. As far as heat no & they take up almost know space. In fact gives you a little more room to sit things on. Larry keeps his machine & what not on ours. But can be pushed all the way under the desk thingy & you would never know it was there.:D

We have and they absolutely generate heat and take up space. That's why the insides cool down.

DSC_9177_Zyde.jpg

How about something like this---

http://www.magellans.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=insulin

Contact Special Needs department at Carnival.

This product has been a literal lifesaver for me.

I travel extensively for business and cruise 3 times a year. I NEVER LEAVE HOME without this FRIO insulin pouch.

This takes no room at all, needs no ice and keeps everything cooler then it needs to be.

I carry it in my carry-on with my spare needles, meter, and misc supplies and TSA has never questioned me about it.

I use pens and I have the one that holds 3 pens, they also have one that will hold vials.

I purchased mine from that online bookseller that starts with an A.

This product has been a literal lifesaver for me.

I travel extensively for business and cruise 3 times a year. I NEVER LEAVE HOME without this FRIO insulin pouch.

This takes no room at all, needs no ice and keeps everything cooler then it needs to be.

I carry it in my carry-on with my spare needles, meter, and misc supplies and TSA has never questioned me about it.

I use pens and I have the one that holds 3 pens, they also have one that will hold vials.

I purchased mine from that online bookseller that starts with an A.

I am consider to buy this for when we do the excursions. Do you know if I could find it in any medical supply store?

Thank you guys for your prompted answers. You are all very kind and sweet. I solved the problem so! The rate for the suites went down for my cruise at the end of August ( been monitoring them at least twice a day eh eh eh) and I was able to up-sell. So I will have a mini fridge in the room and more space for the four of us. I am so excited! It is going to be a surprise for the rest of my guests...I only hope I'll be able to keep my mouth shut!

Archived