Will I manage without a car seat?

As I will be flying to Barcelona, cruising to New Orleans and flying home (Ireland), if there's ANY way I can travel without a car seat I 'd consider it.

Is it illegal to use public transport without one? Taxi or bus?

Can they be supplied with hire car?

I don't want to be flamegrilled here, am just trying to be logical and practical travelling with my 16 month old for the first time.

Obviously I will do whatever it takes to protect my child. :)

I replied on the other post to some of your questions. It may be possible to request a car seat with a private car company. I did this once when we traveled to Belize. I had to have it all pre-arranged beforehand. It wasn't a taxi but rather a prearranged private driver. You can Google search this.

Also, because car seats are age and weight specific, it would be necessary to communicate with your car service beforehand. It is illegal to have a child in a vehicle without a car seat but you don't need one in the street cars. The street cars are only for getting around the French Quarter and Garden District and don't go to the airport, which is in Kenner. To get to the airport, you will be traveling on interstates with traffic and higher speeds. I think there are shuttle buses but again, I wouldn't put a toddler in one without a car seat. That would be illegal also. For public buses, you wouldn't need a car seat but again, the public buses do not go to the airport.

I replied on the other post to some of your questions. It may be possible to request a car seat with a private car company. I did this once when we traveled to Belize. I had to have it all pre-arranged beforehand. It wasn't a taxi but rather a prearranged private driver. You can Google search this.

Also, because car seats are age and weight specific, it would be necessary to communicate with your car service beforehand. It is illegal to have a child in a vehicle without a car seat but you don't need one in the street cars. The street cars are only for getting around the French Quarter and Garden District and don't go to the airport, which is in Kenner. To get to the airport, you will be traveling on interstates with traffic and higher speeds. I think there are shuttle buses but again, I wouldn't put a toddler in one without a car seat. That would be illegal also. For public buses, you wouldn't need a car seat but again, the public buses do not go to the airport.

Thanks for that. i'd best get googling !

Archived