Port / Marigot / Maho by bus

Smeecanada

Hello

We are in port on August 27th with the Disney Fantasy and are the only cruise ship in port on that day. We are in port from 8am to 6:45pm.

We've been to St. Maarten before, so know a bit about the island.

The tentative plan is to take the public bus to Marigot which I understand we board on Back Street. Planning on looking around the shops, hiking up to the Fort and such. Thinking about possibly taking the bus to Maho and then back to the Port.

Wondering if someone can give me directions on how to do it. ie; which buses to take and what time we should leave Maho to be back at the ship by around 5pm. Also, is there anything else in the area of Maho that we should check out. I know there was a bar by the beach - are minors (17 yr old)allowed to eat there or is some better place at the other end of the small beach?

Thanks, Wendy

Yes, you would catch a bus on Backstreet, next one away from the beach after Frontstreet. Look for a Busse Halte (or Bus Stop) and a bus with a sign for Marigot in the front window.

From an earlier post:

I probably wouldn't recommend it for anyone unfamiliar with the island, but it's possible to get from Marigot to Maho by bus. You'd have to change buses in Cole Bay.

Catch a bus headed to Philipsburg, but you'd have to get off just before the 'Midass' Roundabout (Officially Kruythoff) and walk past there to the stop near the KFC to catch a bus coming over the hill from Philipsburg headed to Maho or Mullet Bay.

At Maho, note that there are two beach bars, the heavily referenced Sunset Bar and Grill and also Guy's Driftwood Boat Bar. Guy's has cheaper beer.

th_DSCN1300.jpg

(click) More photos there, as well.

Walk back out to the road and watch for a bus with P'Burg or such in the window. Note that the bus only goes to Philipsburg proper, not out to the cruise facility, so allow some extra time to get back to the ship.

I'd probably be looking for a bus by 2:30 - 2:45.

Kids can eat anywhere. Drinking age was raised a few years ago from 16 to 18, but any well-behaved 17 year old would most likely be served without question. :) or :(

gary

p.s. If you happened to be the last passengers on the bus as you get into Philipsburg, the driver might take you out to the cruise facility for a few dollars more.

Thanks so much, Gary

Are there some landmarks that I should watch for the 'Midass' roundabout coming up?

Also, do we need to pay $2 each time or is there some sort of transfer ticket?

Also, approximately how frequently do the buses run?

Whereabouts would the bus stop be at Maho beach for getting back to the cruise ship? It's been 5 years since we were there last. I remember the strip between the tarmac and the beach and the hotel at the end with the bar. There was sort of a congested area prior to that were a few roads merged if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the info about the bar. Here minors are not allowed in bars, so wanted to check before we decided to do lunch there and then not be able to.

Archived