Breakaway-iconcierge?

BrPanthers99

Can you use this to call the US from the ship?

No, it is not a ship-to-shore phone app.

How does this work? What can you do with it? Is it worth it?

It is a free app. It gives you most of the onboard info you need...like a Freestyle daily in your pocket... as well as restaurant reservations, etc.

For a nominal fee, you can use it to text or talk to other devices that are also on the iConcierge system, but only when onboard.

Edited by computerworks

http://www.ncl.com/apps

Download now for free, then it's activated once you board. If you choose to communicate with other members of your party, then you pay the fee.

Bonnie

Can it only communicate with other devices that have the app (and therefore are smartphones)? DD has a basic phone, so wondering if I can use it with her. Or if not her phone, maybe I can download the app to her ipod touch for texting?

.....from the NCL web site:

An app for Norwegian Epic & Norwegian Breakaway cruisers: Norwegian iConcierge

Now Norwegians can unwind, unplug and still stay connected. Our Norwegian iConcierge app keeps you informed about everything going on, lets you make reservations for Shore Excursions and more on board Norwegian Epic and Norwegian Breakaway. You can plan your playtime with just one hand — which is great because your other hand will probably be holding an umbrella drink.

You can access on-demand information and real-time services, including:

• Shore Excursions Previews and Bookings
  • Restaurant Information with Menus and Bookings
  • Folio Review
  • General Information, such as Onboard Services, Spa Services, and Shopping
  • Daily Activities Highlights
  • Cruise Rewards Information
  • Messenger/Phone Features with Other Guests during your cruise on board Norwegian Epic (Nominal One-Time Fee During Cruise)
  • Phone Calling with Family and Friends Back Home from Norwegian Epic (Nominal Per Minute Fee During Cruise)
    Once you are onboard, access the Norwegian iConcierge app for step-by-step instructions on how to connect onboard.
    How to use the Norwegian iConcierge app
    To reach guests who are sailing Norwegian Epic or Norwegian Breakaway and using the Norwegian iConcierge Phone Feature, please call: 1-877-308-5605 and dial their stateroom number.

Hope this helps.

:)

wasiii

Edited by wasiii

My wife, oldest daughter and I used the app. It's $7.95 per phone. It was very helpful to communicate, plus we were part of a large group and we always contacted each other. It also helped to contact the spa, to book a quick massage when someone cancelled, or for dining. It's easier than carrying a daily. The sat went out while at sea and it didn't work. They got it up and running after some time and I missed it!

We just cruised with 13 people on the Breakaway and everyone purchased the app. It worked great. The system was down for a few hours one day but worked like a charm after they got it up and running. It even worked pretty far on the dock in Bermuda. You should download the app even if you are not going to pay for the texting because it gives you all the daily information and you can make reservations for certain restaurants. Download it before you go so you don't have pay to use their internet.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 3 months later...
No, it is not a ship-to-shore phone app.

It is a free app. It gives you most of the onboard info you need...like a Freestyle daily in your pocket... as well as restaurant reservations, etc.

For a nominal fee, you can use it to text or talk to other devices that are also on the iConcierge system, but only when onboard.

Huh? I've used it to call ship to shore. During beta testing on Epic last April, it was free.

According to http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/iCONCIERGE_ver5.pdf it is 79 cents per minute to call to the US from the ship

Edited by reallyme

Can it only communicate with other devices that have the app (and therefore are smartphones)? DD has a basic phone, so wondering if I can use it with her. Or if not her phone, maybe I can download the app to her ipod touch for texting?

On EPIC last year my daughter used it with an old Touch. One that doesn't have voice input. I think the newer ones, with a microphone, can be used for calling.

I know the newer ones can be used for Skype voice calling, so I suspect that will work. I know texting does.

Does anyone know if it can be used to communicate with the concierge, kids club or butler onboard? For $16 a day it's steep for me to text my wife 2 or 3 x per day but if we didn't have to worry about using the cabin phone I'd consider it.

Yes, once the calling/texting has been activated, you can call any number on the ship's telephone system. To us, that was one of the best uses for it.

On EPIC last year my daughter used it with an old Touch. One that doesn't have voice input. I think the newer ones, with a microphone, can be used for calling.

I know the newer ones can be used for Skype voice calling, so I suspect that will work. I know texting does.

Thanks for the info!

Does anyone know if it can be used to communicate with the concierge, kids club or butler onboard? For $16 a day it's steep for me to text my wife 2 or 3 x per day but if we didn't have to worry about using the cabin phone I'd consider it.

Thanks

wait, it's not $7.95 per day, that's a one time fee right? So more like $1/day per person.

Does anyone know if there is a way to download and install this on a kindle fire?

Amazon says Kindle Fire IOS 3.0 uses Android.

Iconcierge is a free download, so you lose nothing by trying.

Did you look for it on the Amazon app site?