Ryndam Rules! (A completely unbiased report)

Vict0riann

As you can tell by the previous photo, it was beginning to get a bit cloudier as we left Trondheim, and by the time we reached Molde the next morning it was well and truly raining, and it rained pretty much all day. We wanted to go to the "open air" museum of old houses, so we trudged up the hill, only to find it didn't open until noon, so we wandered around for a while, and then trudged down again by a different route to the city centre.

P1030435_zpsb9d4520c.jpg

P1040936_zpse74a510d.jpg

Ryndam from the top of the hill.

P1040924_zps3702dc51.jpg

We wandered back into town by a different route; even in the rain it was a very pretty town, very clean and well-cared for. Lots of flowers! In the city centre we found a shopping mall with free wifi. While DD and I shopped, DH checked email, and downloaded an Economist. Then we went walking some more around town, past the City Hall and into the Cathedral - "modern Gothic"! It's always nice to get back on board after such a busy day! For the first (and only) time, I had used my new rain jacket and my long johns!

The evening we left Molde, we had a few of our new friends in for drinks, and except for the chilly weather, I think the party was a success! We enjoyed it, anyway, and thanked our concierges, Peach (who was a peach!) and Vincent. We arrived at our final (boo hoo!) stop, Bergen, early the next morning, and we had a very busy day there. The ship was docked very conveniently just by the fortress and the old town, "Bryggen". We walked off after breakfast, and went through the fortress and all the old houses on the waterfront, ending at the fish market, where they even had whale meat for sale (according to DD - I didn't see it, fortunately...). Then we retraced our footsteps back to the ship in time for lunch. After lunch, we had a HAL shore excursion by bus to see a stave church and then to Edvard Greig's house for a tour and concert. We had a very interesting guide, and our "carer" was Glenn, the piano man from the ship, so we were well looked after musically! The concert was amazing, in a tiny auditorium with wonderful accoustics. Just a few photos!

View of Bergen from the ship:

P1030645_zps61c0a9ca.jpg

Old "Bryggen"

P1030481_zps66741020.jpg

A stall in the fish market.

P1030508_zps96a046c5.jpg

I think you would like Captain Rowland!

Sounds like a lovely man..We'll be on the Ryndam out of Tampa for three weeks in Nov...Copper10-8 said that the Capt scheduled for that time is Capt. Werner Timmers..Hope he is as engaging as Capt. Rowland..

DD had the "Lobster Mac and Cheese". I thought the lobster would be mixed in, but she really liked having it on top, because no one could finish the mac and cheese, as delicious as it was. (I think it was flavoured with all the lobster juices.) Roger told us that very few people manage to finish it!

P1030811_zps71935bd0.jpg

Ann..Thank you so much for posting your lovely pics & your Review of the Ryndam..This will be the third time we've been on the Ryndam..First time in 1998 & again in 2006..We've always enjoyed being on the smaller ships..

One of our Good Friends is Norwegian...She & her DH are there now..When they get back, I'll be sure to have them over & show your pics to them..DH & I have never been to Norway but have often talked about going there..Perhaps this might help DH to reconsider a trip to Europe again..He hates to fly due to his long legs, so it will take a lot of convincing..

Also thanks for posting the pic. of the Macaroni & cheese..I've often wondered what it was like but hesitated to order it, as wrongly assumed that the lobster would be in small pieces & mixed in..This is much more appetizing looking to me..I love Lobster & also enjoy Macaroni & cheese, so might try it when we're on the Ryndam..

Again thank you..Looking forward to our upcoming cruise on her..

Cheers..:)Betty

Hi, Betty, hope you can persuade your hubby that Norway is a great cruise location. I wasn't all that enthusiastic to begin with about going there (love the Med!), but all in all it was a really memorable trip. You might even cross the Atlantic to England by sea, instead of flying!

I didn't get any of the lobster (I had my own), but the macaroni was amazing - not overpoweringly cheesy, but lobstery. Yum.:)

Bergen was our last port, and I think my favourite. I could happily have spent more time there. Our departure, at 5.p.m., was really interesting. The harbour was full of small ships assembling for a show of some sort. I'm not sure if they were old ships made over, or full-size models, but as we left they all started tooting and whistling, and Captain Rowden responded in kind. Must have been 15 or more good toots. The next day, I complimented him on all the tooting, and he agreed that it had been great fun. Here are a few of the boats:

P1050040_zps8aca7c55.jpg

P1030676_zps2ff77e86.jpg

P1050029_zpseebcdfcd.jpg

P1050043_zps21c01c18.jpg

That night was our last formal night, too, I seem to remember. Best dinner so far in the dining room. We went to the late show, and stayed on for the Filipino crew show. I thought it was unusual to have both crew shows in the one cruise - usually there will be one each cruise in a b2b? It was very good, and I think the crew enjoyed it, too. Our barman friend, Ronnie, said one of the skits they had just organized before the show and it was very energetic.

The clocks went back one hour that night, so we were back on English time. We had one last sea day, very much a day of food. We had our usual breakfast in the Pinnacle, then an Indonesian rijstaffel lunch, also in the Pinnacle, and we had dinner there, too. A very good day, food-wise. Sadly, lots of packing to do to be ready for disembarkation in Dover. Also, we wandered around the ship, saying good-bye to crew members who had befriended us and taken care of our every need. The two weeks had flown by.

We arrived in Dover before 7 a.m., and after one last breakfast in the Pinnacle, we disembarked about 9, and took a taxi to the ferry terminal to pick up our rental car, as we were staying on in England for a week. All in all, a very successful trip, and we made it home eventually, safe and sound, which is always a good thing!

P1030839_zps21f8c4a6.jpg

And here's a picture of the painting of the earlier Ryndam, sent to me by the artist!

RYNDAM043_zps1e48d233.jpg

Archived