Mercury tips/secrets?

Xoe

We are going on Mercury in October, 5-day Pacific Northwest itinerary focused on the needs of elders in their 90's -- a "last hurrah" travel adventure for them.

I read with interest the "Celebrity Secret" thread, and decided to ask specifically for any tips past Mercury cruisers may have for us. This will be a first time on Celebrity for all of us. We're happy with our stateroom reservations (2 sky suites and 2 concierge cabins on Deck 12, all adjacent or very near to each other), and appreciated confirmation on this board earlier that these are good choices.

So, now, on to other possible details: tips for dining times and venues? timing for shows? secret treasures anywhere? "don't miss" experiences or places? Ideas will be especially appreciated that may relate to divergent wishes/needs of elders who get around slowly (one will be in a wheelchair or using a walker), and younger family members who are active and agile. We'll be able to spell each other in keeping the elders company, so all of us will be able to have active adventures on our own as well.

Thanks!

I just got off the Mercury today and loved it. Everything is very accessible and navigational. You said you had Sky Suites and Concerige Class cabins on Deck 12. You are lucky, Deck 12, at least from what I saw, had big hallways for wheelchairs and all. Don't miss the crossaints (sp?) and pastries in the Cova Cafe in the morning. The Navigator Club is a great place to see where you're headed. It gets crowded at night though because of it's night scene. If you're looking for a quiet place to sit and read a book, go to Deck 7 AFT for a nice view of behind and there is no one there. The jumbo chocolate chip cookies are great through room service, but only if they are fresh and made that day. As we aren't in our 90's like some of the people you are travelling with, I can't say what you should do. Also, I can't recommend any ports that are interesting as I cruised the Mercury to Alaska.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

-Chris

Don't forget to try out those wonderfull Belgium Waffles some morning in the food court aft. ( same area as the indoor pool)

I don't know how they make them so light but they're great. Especially smothered with berries and whipped cream.

I second that Rick - the waffles are "to die for". And we have sailed Mercury twice and didn't know the pastries in Cova Cafe were free! Hope they are on Infinity! The aft is wonderful - we sat there a lot. I know your group will really enjoy Mercury - she is our favorite ship so far.

I really appreciate the feedback from those who have been on this ship. Your ideas are exactly the kind of thing I'd hoped someone might pass along.

This will be my husband's & my first time on this ship, also our first time shepherding around frail elders -- wish us luck, and also wish us some free time to adventure out and about on our own!

You have our best wishes that you can get some free time. It is nice of you to help the seniors - they will find lots of "kindred spirits" onboard and will probably make friends with some other seniors. Have a great time on "our" ship - we love her.

We just traveled to Alaska with a limited-mobility mother-in-law, who normally uses a walker. We were concerned that she wouldn't want to participate in many activities on the ship because of the distances involved- ie, theatre is at the very front of the ship, dining room is at the very back of the ship, etc.

We rented her a battery-powered scooter from this place:

http://www.scootaround.com/

It was waiting in the hallway outside the cabin when we arrived (the cruise ship offered a wheelchair from the check-in to the room), and we just left the key with the room steward at the end of the cruise. Completely painless, and it made a huge difference in her enjoyment of the trip.

Be aware, though, that taking the scooter on a tender is nigh impossible. And many of the shore excursions cover terrain that is impassible on a scooter, too.

But consider whether it might be nice.

I really appreciate the feedback from those who have been on this ship. Your ideas are exactly the kind of thing I'd hoped someone might pass along.

This will be my husband's & my first time on this ship, also our first time shepherding around frail elders -- wish us luck, and also wish us some free time to adventure out and about on our own!

First thing is that the crew on the Mercury will assist you more than you hope for. I was on the ship twice last year and will be again in Dec.

If you have people with walking or access issues go to the MD as soon as you get on board and get tables close to the entrence. Moving past a bunch of tables is a lot of work and getting people to move chairs is a pain. I try to get to the evening meal early so I don't disturb others while getting to my table.

I travel with a scooter and have to be careful about parking so it is not in the way of others.

BE PATIENT, the elevators on Mercury are small compared to some ships and that makes for a lot of waiting for people with chairs and scooters. Not much you can do about crowded elevators but take a chill pill and don't expect to use them as freely as a person without a device. There will be some rude people that won't cut you any slack but forget them and move on. There is a group/class of people who cruise who resent people that need something to help them get around and there is nothing that can be done about them but feel sorry for them.

Bottom line is the Mercury crew and staff will do their best to help you have a great cruise.

As for tendering, unless the seas present a safety issue they will make every effort to accomate you. Freedom of movememt ashore is a crap shoot but I have never felt cheated on shore experience.

Archived