What do you like about the Century Class ships

tarheelmjfan

Some of the reasons I prefer C class over M class ships is the night clubs aft on deck 7 of the C class ships, while M class doesn't really even have a club apart from the one foreward on deck 11. I also think that the thallassotherapy pool is much better on the C class ships, being much more private & having much stronger water therapy jets than those on M class ships. And this may seem silly, but I enjoy looking straight down at the water from my balcony & watching the wake on the C class ships. I don't much like the fact that while looking downward from the balcony on M class, you see the lifeboats jutting out of the side of the ship. In addition, there is teak decking on C class balconies while the decking on M class balconies is coated with an abrasive non-skid material that is not barefoot friendly!

That said, I love both class ships & would book either without a second thought!

Thanks for the comparison. :) Unfortunately, we won't have a balcony on Century. We have a FOV. We're going from an AFT CC cabin on Infinity to the FOV on Century, but we're really looking for to it anyway. We had our DS(13) with us on Infinity, so there was no dancing. We hope to take advantage of the nightclub several evenings, since we're going alone this time. What type of music do they play. Our days of club hopping are long gone. :o We'll probably just participate in the slow, snuggling dances. ;)

Other than the fact that they're more intimate than the Millenium Class ships, what keeps you going back to the Century Class ships? What makes them special to you? Thanks :)

They are so much more interesting than the M class ships. They were built from the ground up to be daring in terms of art and features and bringing in all unique signatures to Celebrity. They don't repeat public areas, when you go on the Galaxy you don't get a knock off of the Century, you get a ship with unique public areas and furnishings. The same is true of the Mercury, you don't get a version of the Galaxy with different colors and patterns, nor do you get a version of the Century--all three ships are unique and offer their own personality of Celebrity in major public areas. They have large areas, they have intimate areas. Their public areas are divided in terms of using interesting separaters, different railings and heights of areas. They are efficient in their use of space and don't have so much wasted space as the M class. They have much more public deck areas and much of it is warm teak. They are chic, and don't try to have so much obvious luxury, but have an understated richness and elegance. I think their aft lounge is a wonderful area to hang out, and I was dismayed that the Millennium ships did away with them (the relocated martini bar area is a poor substitution, no dance floor, not a destination feel using the same type of seats that the Rendezvous uses--too much of a walk-through feel).

I love the Century class ships, they are excellent ships and hopefully Celebrity's management won't try to make them too much like the Millennium class ships in the future as the M class is a much, much less imaginative class of ships. M class imaginative in the specialty restaurants, they are all different, but their major public areas, dining room, foyer, Cova, shops, theater, observation lounge, all versions of the same.

We've been on all three X sizes more than once. IMHO the M-class are hotel-institutional atmosphere compared to C-class. Each m-class is copycat compared to greater individuality on C-class. For us, the c-class are more traditional cruise experience blended with more formal traditional cruise experience (compared to mass-market competitors). Yes, some 'bells and whistles' of newest ships are missing, but let the crowds rush to those ships. T-pools on c-class are a standout feature. Just summarize my preference for c-class as the "Goldilocks syndrome" - not too big, not to small, just right. ;)

We also have been on all 3 class ships and have found alot to like about each one of them.

I like the Century class ships in particular for their t-pool, 12th deck Sky Suites, and their foyers. The Century's Michael's Club and dining room are not to be missed. One of the things that I really liked about the Century was the waterfall and changing ceiling light in the foyer but I think those are not working anymore?

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, one nice thing is that the Century class ships have reliable propulsion systems!!

Like other posters, we love the c-class ships. As several posters have indicated, Century, Mercury and Galaxy are not the same as the M-class ships. For example, our RS on Century has only one door to the veranda, and does not have a sitting area in the bedroom. On Mercury and Galaxy, a small area of the veranda has been taken to provide for a sitting area in the bedroom with a chair, table and lamp, and it has a door from the bedroom to the veranda.

Century and Mercury are also different from each other with respect to artwork, decorations and furnishings. Can't comment on Galaxy, because we will take our first cruise on her in October.

Except for muster - you really are not aware of large groups of pax on c-class ships, but rather small groups of pax, and there are so many places where you can just be alone with each other. We really probably are biased, because the crew and staff on Century are absolutely wonderful - and are sorely missed after we have disembarked.

I can't comment on physical differences between the two classes, however we always book a RS - and I have noticed that the RS on C-class and M-class vessels are about the same configuration. I have noticed that these cabins on M-class vessels are considerably more expensive than on C-class vessels essentially for similar cruises in the same area.

I can't comment on physical differences between the two classes, however we always book a RS - and I have noticed that the RS on C-class and M-class vessels are about the same configuration. I have noticed that these cabins on M-class vessels are considerably more expensive than on C-class vessels essentially for similar cruises in the same area.

Good point. I have not done an exhaustive comparison, but it seems like the Century class ships are priced more attractively compared to the Millennium class.

Other than the fact that they're more intimate than the Millenium Class ships, what keeps you going back to the Century Class ships? What makes them special to you? Thanks :)
Not MUCH more intimate! Our first introduction to them was the Galaxy, and the next cruise we took was on the Infinity. I felt like I already knew pretty well where everything could be found. They're very nearly the same size, and the GENERAL layout isn't all that different. We'll be going back to the Galaxy this December after 5 straight trips on M-Class, and I doubt I'll feel too much differently about it. Intimate being relative, I think I'd only say that the jump from M-Class to Horizon/Zenith level would have made a truly signficant difference.

Frankly, I like the cabin selections better on the M-Class. There's no C-Class category of cabin equivalent to the M-Class CC (Category 1) cabins, especially an M-Class aft CC. The CC (Cat1) cabins on C-Class are the same size as the Category 2 cabins on M-Class.

The FO cabins on C-Class don't have verandas like the FV cabins on M-Class.

The only way to avoid losing space (compared to what we're used to) when we move from M-Class to C-Class is to get a Sky Suite on the C-Class. So that's what we've done again for December.

All of which begs the original question...

The answer is itinerary. When Celebrity decided to drop the 11 nt. "Ultimate Caribbean" that ran down to Panama, Aruba, etc. in the winter, we switched to the Galaxy from Galveston to get an approximation of that kind of itinerary.

Except for muster - you really are not aware of large groups of pax on c-class ships, but rather small groups of pax, and there are so many places where you can just be alone with each other.

I always take my "around the ship" pictures, covering all of the public spaces, on at-sea days. One comment I always get when showing these pictures to others who haven't travelled on Celebrity ships, including those of M-Class ships, is "Where is everybody"? Even on at-sea days when everyone who is going to be on the boat is on the boat, there isn't a time where you can't find a fairly large bit of public space all to yourself. I've always found it truly amazing.

Good point. I have not done an exhaustive comparison, but it seems like the Century class ships are priced more attractively compared to the Millennium class.
I think some of this can be attributed to age, but also some also to sq ft. Whatever the reasons, there's no question that a comparable cruise, insofar as you can get comparable in the cabins, is a somewhat better value on C-Class.

We've noticed the same thing. I'm not sure that a whirlpool on a balcony is worth the extra $$. So we tend to enjoy the Celebrity Suite on the M class instead.

Archived